HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 1:01 AM
Man on a mission

Manitowac has a division located just down the road form me in Shady Grove PA. They have been hiring engineers steadily over the last 3 years after a long downturn. In fact they have advertised for engineers of all types on the radio for about the last 2 years and have stolen many engineers from the company that I work for.

I also work for a company in that builds construction equipment. Many of our machines involve hydrualics motors and pumps and there is such a worldwide crunch for these items that the wait list is 18 months. We are redesigning machines to place components from other companies because some manufacturers just can't supply us not mater what the price.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 3:54 AM

I count 42 tower cranes opperating in Vegas right now, not counting the idle bungy jumping crane at Circus Circus. The Venetian hotel bought their own tower cranes (three of them) to build their Palazzo expansion. Impossible to count all the mobile cranes here, but there are some really, really big ones at the CityCenter and Fontainebleau sites.

Last edited by mdiederi; Jun 26, 2007 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Now that's a lot of cranes!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 12:35 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
I count 42 tower cranes opperating in Vegas right now, not counting the idle bungy jumping crane at Circus Circus. The Venetian hotel bought their own tower cranes (three of them) to build their Palazzo expansion. Impossible to count all the mobile cranes here, but there are some really, really big ones at the CityCenter and Fontainebleau sites.

There sure are a lot of cranes there. I see both horizontal boomed and angled boomed cranes - is there a difference between what these two types of cranes can do? I've always wondered why we always see the horizontal boom cranes here in Calgary, but almost never the angle boom cranes.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
huh, I must have missed that paragraph. I figured Asia would have more than 10%.
That was a figure for MOBILE cranes only.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 10:19 PM

I hope the engineers around here will correct me when I am almost assuredly incorrect about this, but I believe the angle boomed cranes are used in cases where space is restricted, and the horizontal boom cranes are used when there is considerably more space to operate.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstl2020 View Post
I hope the engineers around here will correct me when I am almost assuredly incorrect about this, but I believe the angle boomed cranes are used in cases where space is restricted, and the horizontal boom cranes are used when there is considerably more space to operate.
Sounds about right. Angled cranes are useful if the project is too small for a tower crane, or if there are no tower cranes available.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 2:51 PM

Doing some googleing, I think they're called "luffing jib" cranes. Not sure if they can lift more or used for tighter spaces. They sure look beefy.

This building recently topped out, but the cranes rarely got any higher than the top level of the building the whole time.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 12:35 PM

could another reason because 1 country may have to many. like Dubai. dont get me wrong Dubai is my favorite country

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 9:17 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I'm sure China has 10 times more cranes up than Dubai.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I'm sure China has 10 times more cranes up than Dubai.
no they dont, surprisingly. Dubai is the only country with more then 15% of the worlds cranes

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 1:17 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai 1 View Post
no they dont, surprisingly. Dubai is the only country with more then 15% of the worlds cranes
Dubai's not a country.

And given the huge number of booming cities in China, many of which are significantly larger than Dubai, I strongly doubt your assertion and demand proof.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Dubai's not a country.

And given the huge number of booming cities in China, many of which are significantly larger than Dubai, I strongly doubt your assertion and demand proof.
yes it pretty much is a country. here's my link to show you about Dubai's crane amount

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10039528.html

here's another 1
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10047703.html

another. and this what it said
"Dubai is the biggest market for tower cranes," said Klaus Binder, who heads tower crane production for the German manufacturer Liebherr. "No other city in the world has such a number. Maybe Shanghai did three or five years ago. There are growing markets in Russia, but they not as big as Dubai's."

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...606300341.html

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:50 AM

Your first two links say there are about 30,000 burj cranes in Dubai, but that third link says that there are about a total of 1,100 to 1,200 burj cranes in the entire UAE. I think the third article is more realistic.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 5:11 AM
BANNED

^^^^Dubai_1 is just a goof....he is an itinerant visitor to the chicago forum as well...he is just always full of sh*t

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Your first two links say there are about 30,000 burj cranes in Dubai, but that third link says that there are about a total of 1,100 to 1,200 burj cranes in the entire UAE. I think the third article is more realistic.
if you dont believe the articles go ask Imre. dubai has a little over 30,000 cranes. and it doesnt say 1,100 to 1,200 burj cranes in the entire UAE. it say's ""Binder believes there are between 1,100 and 1,200 tower cranes in the Emirates, mainly in Dubai. "" there talking about mainly tower cranes, not including mobile, and crawler. and it does say ""According to building analysts, Dubai is the world's fastest growing city. By one estimate, 14 percent of the world's construction cranes are in Dubai — or 30,000 of the 125,000 cranes distributed globally"" but if you do the math it's more then 14 %

Last edited by dubai 1; Aug 3, 2007 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
^^^^Dubai_1 is just a goof....he is an itinerant visitor to the chicago forum as well...he is just always full of sh*t
f u

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 3:06 PM

Okay, yeah, I see, I miss-read it, they were actually counting all types of cranes in the first two links, not just burj cranes.

let's see now, just for fun, Emporis says there are 331 high-rise buildings under construction in Dubai. With 30,000 cranes that comes to 90 cranes for each building under construction. They must be counting mini cranes too.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2007, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Okay, yeah, I see, I miss-read it, they were actually counting all types of cranes in the first two links, not just burj cranes.

let's see now, just for fun, Emporis says there are 331 high-rise buildings under construction in Dubai. With 30,000 cranes that comes to 90 cranes for each building under construction. They must be counting mini cranes too.
your correct. but there's not only highrises. there's other mega projects. were there's tons of cranes. ex: the palm islands, dubailand < there's alot there.easily 400. Dubai Sports City , Dubai Media Cities , DUBAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT EXPANSION < there's a ton of there to, DUBAI METRO < a bunch of mobile cranes, DUBAI LAGOON, DUBAI INDUSTRIAL CITY, JUMEIRAH VILLAGE < a ton there, here's a link to see all these prjects with alot of cranes, then you will change your mind saying dubai doesnt have 30,000 cranes

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=457

Old Posted Aug 4, 2007, 11:31 AM
BANNED

I read a report sometime last year that said 16% of the world's cranes are in Dubai. I don't know where they got their figures from.

China probably has far more, but I think Dubai as a city on its own has one of the highest concentrations of cranes in the world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering