HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ritz-Carlton Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

of all of lagrange's major towers around town, i find park tower to be the least offensive. it's no stroke of genius or anything, but it's a decent building.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
You know... regarding bad buildings in this city, this isn't that bad. There, I said it on SSP, Hayward.
Damnit. I owe you a beer

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 10:47 PM
Marina City

Is there any info about how this building will be lit at night? Will the glass pannels on the top light up? or will we just have to wait and see?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 3:10 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
Is there any info about how this building will be lit at night? Will the glass pannels on the top light up? or will we just have to wait and see?
We have to play the waiting game.

I don't recall ever seeing/hearing anything about the panels being back-lit...however, they VE'd the hell out of the crown as it is, so if there ever was a plan in place to light it, that probably got flushed down the toilet as well. I do know that the colored glass panels were taken out of the final design. And for anyone that needs a refresher, this was what the original rendering from way back when showed -- from page 4 of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Amazing that the focal point of praise (and images) of this development is entirely focused on the preservation of the Farwell. Kind of makes me wonder if our friend Lucien ever trolls the internet to seek out others' opinions of his buildings. If so, he probably wouldn't like SSP that much. lol

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippis View Post
We have to play the waiting game.

I don't recall ever seeing/hearing anything about the panels being back-lit...however, they VE'd the hell out of the crown as it is, so if there ever was a plan in place to light it, that probably got flushed down the toilet as well. I do know that the colored glass panels were taken out of the final design. And for anyone that needs a refresher, this was what the original rendering from way back when showed -- from page 4 of this thread:

Amazing that the focal point of praise (and images) of this development is entirely focused on the preservation of the Farwell. Kind of makes me wonder if our friend Lucien ever trolls the internet to seek out others' opinions of his buildings. If so, he probably wouldn't like SSP that much. lol
I wish more architects and developers did check this board. In the world of business-driven projects, I believe SSP members collectively provide a voice of reason behind design and preservation.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 7:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Doubt it. He spends way too much time cultivating his social standing.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
of all of lagrange's major towers around town, i find park tower to be the least offensive. it's no stroke of genius or anything, but it's a decent building.
I think the reason that the Park Tower sort of works is that its not trying to be anything other than typical Post-Modern. It's when LaGrange deliberately tries to do Art Deco or French Renaissance or any sort of straight revival style that his designs fail, primarily at the detail level.

You have at least one architecture student who reads this board, although it might be a while before anything I've contributed to is discussed here. Personally, I like reading boards like this to see how a general, educated public views architecture.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I'd have thought this shot alone would quickly quiet down talk of this being one of LaGrange's 'better' buildings. Not to judge an entire building by just one view, but it's downright offensive........LaGrange is, first, foremost, and forever, an utter, helpless, hopeless hack. Not even third rate. Period.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I'd have thought this shot alone would quickly quiet down talk of this being one of LaGrange's 'better' buildings. Not to judge an entire building by just one view, but it's downright offensive........LaGrange is, first, foremost, and forever, an utter, helpless, hopeless hack. Not even third rate. Period.
Exactly, the only view of this tower he even seems to have put 10 minutes of though into was the East and SE elevation, every other view makes absolutely zero sense. And he even botched the views he concentrated on with floors that don't line up with windows and generally terrible massing. This building is an abomination.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 7:17 PM
Content provider

at least this is short.

and I didn't mind Park Tower either, especially at the time

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 8:43 PM
Everywhere all at once

Certain qualities of this tower are redeeming. It's massing on the east and south faces is somewhat more reminiscent of prewar design than, say, Elysian...and the crown, though uninspired, is a better attempt (note I used the word "attempt") at emulating an old-fashioned crown than Elysian or Park Tower. I still think 2520 is going to wind up being the best of this odd class of towers, and even that I say with reservation.

What I'm most curious about is how these faux-prewar buildings are going to age...will they grow on Chicago in 20 years, or will they just grow more reviled? I wonder in comparison to a famously polarizing case here in New York..the MetLife Building that bisects Park Avenue at 45th Street has been voted numerous times the ugliest building in the city. It's imposing, monolithic and unadorned, but I'll tell you..IMO, I cannot imagine the view up or down Park Avenue without it, nor would I want to.

So I look forward to seeing how worn, dirty, possibly reclad...these buildings will wind up being 20, 40, 50 years down the line. Only time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I don't think he'd care. The most offensive thing about Lagrange is that he doesn't try to be what anyone here would consider a good architect. His goal is to make buildings that will sell, period.

All Lagrange cares about: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...23/elysian.php

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:27 AM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don't think he'd care. The most offensive thing about Lagrange is that he doesn't try to be what anyone here would consider a good architect. His goal is to make buildings that will sell, period.

All Lagrange cares about: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...23/elysian.php
Yes, in the name of all that is green, he does well. I think the problem here is that most people just don't care about living in a building where the externals are as finely articulated as the internals. I will confess that the interior of this -- and many other of his buildings -- have beautiful finishes. Of course, that's because this is not his job, but rather the interior designer(s).

Either way, I think the developers are just as much to blame for this abomination as Lagrange himself...either they're blind, stupid, don't understand the concept of their tagline "simply magnificent", or all of the above.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, in the name of all that is green, he does well. I think the problem here is that most people just don't care about living in a building where the externals are as finely articulated as the internals. I will confess that the interior of this -- and many other of his buildings -- have beautiful finishes. Of course, that's because this is not his job, but rather the interior designer(s).

Either way, I think the developers are just as much to blame for this abomination as Lagrange himself...either they're blind, stupid, don't understand the concept of their tagline "simply magnificent", or all of the above.
That's exactly it. I would definitely live in the Ritz or the Elysian (if I had the money). The important thing is I'd receive a blank space that could be designed to my preferences.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, in the name of all that is green, he does well.

Uhhh no he doesnt... The bastard just went bankrupt...

The only reason LaGrange got so many commissions was that he was the ultime slimey developers architect: dirt cheap and completely ok all value engineering...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 11:47 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post

And finally, with LaGrange's accelerated soiling of the Chicago skyline at the ugly ass-end of the boom, the architecture gods had enough and relieved him of commission. Or something like that....

Let's just hope his attempt at a second - or third? - act at VOA is very short and very unsuccessful, for the sake of our city - and good design everywhere.....

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 1:43 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Haha I know that, and good thing, too. Just throw 'does' into past tense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Let's just hope his attempt at a second - or third? - act at VOA is very short and very unsuccessful, for the sake of our city - and good design everywhere.....
+1.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 10:46 PM
THAT Guy

Saw the crown lit today. Very subtle so far.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:46 AM
dream fast

4-17

Last edited by george; Apr 20, 2012 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:08 AM

Jesus H Christ the Farwell looks beautiful cleaned up. How in the world did Ritz-Carlton drop the ball on this when they had the PERFECT example of what to do sitting right next door? What happened to corporate identity and pride?

The limestone patterning was there, the fenestration pattern was there, the vertical relief was there, the spandrel design and color was there, the railing detailing was there, the mullion work was there... what the fuck happened?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive