HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:48 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Visit Boston which has preserved so much even from the time frame of Chicago's history. Chicago is tearing down too much history
This is very true, pip. But also keep in mind, Boston literally lives and dies on historic tourism. People visit Boston to see history preserved. Same as with places like St. Augustine, Florida. Same with Alexandria VA, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, as well as of course the original section of Philadelphia. Tourists don't clamor for Chicago's history, at least not generally.

I'm not defending Chicago's relative disregard for historic preservation. In fact, I think it's pretty atrocious to say the least! I'm just saying that, unlike Boston (using your example), Chicago doesn't necessarily see a financial incentive to preserve its history as Boston does. Shortsighted in my opinion, but most likely accurate.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:33 PM

I submit the following thesis...

one story building from 1985... tear that junk down, who would have built such a crap building in such a desirable area? we need density!

one story building from 1885... how dare you tear that down? it's history! get the pitchforks out! we need historical buildings!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post

one story building from 1985... tear that junk down, who would have built such a crap building in such a desirable area? we need density!

one story building from 1885... how dare you tear that down? it's history! get the pitchforks out! we need historical buildings!

In Chicago they will tear both down along with a few terra cotta 2 and 3 story buildings and call it progress. And the alderman will say he knew nothing about it when asked

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:31 PM

Quote:

Thats a warped analogy...just as unreasonable as a preservationist’s perspective that “all” developers think 100% of Chicago’s buildings should be demolishable.

The reasonable perspective is that century or older buildings retaining almost all their original details or in good condition should be automatic candidates for preservation..or at minimum their facades. And we shouldn’t be reducing unit counts but maintaining or increasing density. So many apartment buildings when I lived in Southport were knocked down for SFRs. The timeframe (whatever that may be) allows some expendability. Issues of scale and use should also be accounted for. For example, my position on UIC earlier was that the campus shouldn’t have blanket preservation as the university should be able to correct its architectural faults.

Personally I wouldn’t put up a fight for the Humboldt property. There’s worse offenses and the density is a huge benefit. But better preservation policy would lead to smarter development decisions not at the expense of architectural or cultural history.

Last edited by Rizzo; Jun 1, 2018 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:

I'll bite. Disregarding the architecture, which is almost always far more detailed and elegant in the pre war buildings than anything in 1985, the prewar buildings are built far superior structurally, the masonry at least. Multi wythe common brick walls with lime putty mortar of that era can last forever if taken care of. The post war hard bricks and cement mortar veneer walls are basically junk.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
This is very true, pip. But also keep in mind, Boston literally lives and dies on historic tourism. People visit Boston to see history preserved. Same as with places like St. Augustine, Florida. Same with Alexandria VA, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, as well as of course the original section of Philadelphia. Tourists don't clamor for Chicago's history, at least not generally.

I'm not defending Chicago's relative disregard for historic preservation. In fact, I think it's pretty atrocious to say the least! I'm just saying that, unlike Boston (using your example), Chicago doesn't necessarily see a financial incentive to preserve its history as Boston does. Shortsighted in my opinion, but most likely accurate.

Aaron (Glowrock)
All true but even outside the tourist areas of Boston so much is preserved. Most of Boston is not the perfect row house Beacon Hill everyone sees. Areas that gentrify in Boston are generally not tear-downs.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:02 AM
1st Ward

In my own anecdotal experience, there definitely is a greater appreciation for historic preservation in Boston, as well as much of the east coast (Philly, NYC, DC, for example), at least as compared to Chicago. While Boston does have the whole colonial history tourism dollar machine going full steam, it appears that much more of the older building stock in the city has survived, even in non touristy/residential areas.

While its great that Chicago is very much pro development (and I am in no way trying to create more roadblocks to development), I think the city can do a number of easy and common sense moves in order to bolster its existing preservation initiatives. For starters, we shouldn't have alderman who are surprised (or at least act the part) that a historically significant structure has been bulldozed in their ward.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:47 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
That sucks. Having strong preservation policy would help induce redevelopment of empty lots. They can start with everything orange rated must at least have their facade saved - no exceptions. It’s not a lot to ask. If a developer doesn’t like that they can move onto another property to tear down. I realize this specific example isn’t rated by the city which is why perhaps the survey must be updated.
Agreed! Developers should be forced to develop on vacant lots, which we have a ton of in Chicago. At the very least, they should save the facades of older buildings, include a slight setback, and build more density. If required, they will still build to make some money while preserving what makes Chicago special.

WE NEED TO ACT to force the city council to adopt stricter preservation guidelines. Any orange rated building should have a demo delay of at least 2 years. Until we protect our historic heritage, I think we need to drill the fact into people that CHICAGO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ARCHITECTURE.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Also from the article linked:

Though the building is not designated a city landmark, it is deemed historically significant by the National Register of Historic Places. The agency lists it as a ‘contributing building’ in the Chicago Park Boulevard System Historic District. Contributing buildings add to the significance of historic districts, but aren’t so significant that demolition is restricted.

Valadez [Ald Moreno chief of staff] said he was not aware that the building was listed as such until a Sun-Times reporter notified him of the designation. When asked if the designation would impact the alderman’s support, Valadez said, “Perhaps,” adding that he is planning to confer with the city’s Landmarks Department. Wilmot Properties did not return calls for comment.

There seems to be a general lack of information about much of anything involving neighborhood buildings. What is significant? why? With a recent building demolished in the West Loop, the alderman said he had no idea of any architectural significance and no one had contacted him to try to stop demolition. Even groups that are trying to preserve buildings seem to be unable to actually communicate to the larger community.
Something I would suggest is that anyone interested in preservation get ahead of the curve. This building was vacant and owned by a developer. Not surprising the developer wants to replace it. Preservation and community groups should start the call early rather than waiting until it is too late.
This building was knocked down weeks ago...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
Agreed! Developers should be forced to develop on vacant lots, which we have a ton of in Chicago. At the very least, they should save the facades of older buildings, include a slight setback, and build more density. If required, they will still build to make some money while preserving what makes Chicago special.
How do you do that? Force the owners of the lots to sell? I am not sure why people have this notion that these lots are just up for grabs. People/companies own them. It's not like they're there for anybody to just take. I mean let's get real here. Do you really think that a developer would prefer to buy property with a building on it and tear it down? On average, doubt it - it costs more money and it's usually more time to start to build anything. I guess zoning could play into it, but - let's get real here about all of this.

You can start with land owners if you want this before you start with developers. And at the end of the day, it's probably harder because they have to pay less tax when there's nothing on the lot. If it's somewhere like downtown, then sitting on something for another year will probably net them more money at the end of the day and they probably really don't always have much reason to sell ASAP.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
How do you do that? Force the owners of the lots to sell? I am not sure why people have this notion that these lots are just up for grabs. People/companies own them. It's not like they're there for anybody to just take. I mean let's get real here. Do you really think that a developer would prefer to buy property with a building on it and tear it down? On average, doubt it - it costs more money and it's usually more time to start to build anything. I guess zoning could play into it, but - let's get real here about all of this.

Personally land-banking is the thing that really gets my goat. I live up in Lakeview and everytime I pass by that stretch of Irving Park Rd that Thorek is letting lie fallow it just pisses me off.

That said, anything that tries to "encourage" landholders to develop vacant parcels (perhaps via an annual escalator on their tax bill) needs to be strenuously looked at for unintended consequences. I can see that leading to a lot of quick and dirty builds intended to fill the parcel, meet requirements, and not cost that much to construct. Not sure how we can encourage good development.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:42 AM

Quote:

You can start with land owners if you want this before you start with developers. And at the end of the day, it's probably harder because they have to pay less tax when there's nothing on the lot. If it's somewhere like downtown, then sitting on something for another year will probably net them more money at the end of the day and they probably really don't always have much reason to sell ASAP.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_value_tax

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:59 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Boston has had areas laying fallow before, both downtown and in the neighborhoods. If you extend that to the nearby cities, it's still true. Maybe they don't lose as much historic stock, but they do still manage some modern construction.

Every City is different, but it would be a mistake to think Boston has all those problems solved completely.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:01 PM
The City

I for one own historic buildings, and would never think of knocking down such beautiful structures. I take joy in preserving them for the future. I love that Chicago is a city in which professionals making decent incomes would willingly live in a ruggedy old building! Think about that, this is probably the case in only a handful of cities in America. In the rest of this country, professionals would never even think about living in a building that wasn’t new or modern. That speaks volumes about the desirability of our built environment.

But if I was going to be encouraged to preserve an old structure, the city needs to be creative. Implement a 5 year property tax freeze, followed by 5 years of partial exemptions, of property taxes for Orange rated buildings that have undergone substantial rehabilitation (proof provided via permits and inspections). We can easily do this, but the city needs to make the effort, without penalizing property owners.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:14 PM
Urbane observer

^How would that be better than the current Class L property tax incentives?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^How would that be better than the current Class L property tax incentives?
Sort of, Class L is for commercial, requires 50% of market value spent in rehab and reduces the assessed value to 10% of market (instead of 25%) for the first ten years then 15% and 20% year 11 and 12. They can also apply for federal tax credits.

The Historic Residence property freeze is for smaller residential projects. It requires 25% of market spent in rehab and freezes the pre-improvement assessment for 8 years and sliding to market over the next four.

All of them require that the property be on the Nat'l register or local landmark rolls which does not apply to all Oranges. But the owner can ask for landmarking in order get these credits and on an Orange, the chances are pretty good.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:33 PM

Columbia College Center

May 30

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:

Guys land owners and developers are the same group: property owners. There isn't a separate "development market" and "land market" it's the same thing. The problem is our current laws allow valuable historic structures to come down so developers feel free to view historic buildings as a land play. This needs to be banned.

How do your force the landowners to sell? Well you don't force anyone to sell, you ban demolishing historic buildings for the land under them. This reduces the number of parcels developers can build on which jacks up land values for parcels that can be developed which would include already mutilated historic structures, insignificant structures, and already vacant land. Since there are now fewer sites available to build on the value of the remaining sites increases (less supply = higher price) and the owners of these properties are incentivized to sell, not forced to. Think about it, if you own a side lot you are using as a garden and the price of lots is $50k in your area, that's not all that enticing to give up your huge yard, but if the price of that lot jumps to $200k or $250k, well now we are talking.

I just grabbed two beautiful historic brick structures (a 2 flat and a 4 flat) in a package which also included two lots. I totally restored both buildings including having two 18"x7' art glass arch windows rebuilt and restored as well as grinding and tuckpointing the entire facebrick and putting back the original charcoal colored tuckpointing (it's amazing how many buildings used to have charcal colored joints but some clown stuffed white or grey mortar in there later ruining the awesome red/black color combo). Now I'm sitting on the two plots of the land which I basically own cash for free because the bank only wants to lien the buildings. I'm just land banking them until the value of each lot is high enough that the bank will finance construction of a new two flat just based off the land value. As soon as land values rise I'll build, but until then I'll just keep buying buildings to rehab.

But I digress, my point is that land is virtually free in most of the city. The affordability crisis is a myth, if there really was such want on demand you wouldn't be able to pick up lots on the fringes of gentrifying areas for $5000. The problem is simply that we allow demolition of historic building stock. If we banned that the historic stock would just get rehabbed and the developers would move on to areas where they can find crappy frame buildings to raze or vacant lots to build on.

Finally, as depressing as it can be to live here and know what once was (like the Stock Exchange or the lot at Division and Damen that used to be a Shell and is now being developed), I'm actually consistently shocked by what wasn't. There are huge swaths of the city where you see endless vacnt lots and think "damn they razed a whole neighborhood", but you look it up and it was actually shitty single story industrial buildings with huge storage yards. Or in the case of my two lots it was a crappy frame workers cottage that burned down on one lot and a weird one and a half story brick cottage that was jacked up when they raised the street and had a frame first floor built under it. In fact, there are several buildings on my block like this still standing and most of them have very little preservation value. In 10-20 years they will likely mostly be torn down and replaced by larger, better built, modern structures.

But that's just it, we are 150 years into our history since the fire, Boston has been around for almost three times as long. I'm willing to bet that a lower percentage of Boston has been constructed between 1870 and 1940 than Chicago. But to us it appears they've preserved much more of the city than us because we see everything built from 1600's through now. Chicago is still young and, as I said before, many parts of it never even were. We are still building up our housing stock and yes, part of that is going to be losing some historic stock. The key is preserving most of what is worth keeping and making sure that the next layer of structures is worthy of standing next to what we preserve. We need to make sure that we are adding our next layer of history just as a city like Boston has layered hundreds of years of construction until virtually every building in the city is worth preserving.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The problem is our current laws allow valuable historic structures to come down so developers feel free to view historic buildings as a land play. This needs to be banned.
Unfortunately, the financial incentive for the city, is to make you tear it down and build new.

Thanks to the vagaries of property tax limitation law, the city's property tax levy on "old property" is capped at 1994 plus inflation.

If you fix up an abandoned 3 flat in Douglas Park, when you're done, the taxes on that property might double, but the city does not see one extra dime. All that happens is that everyone else has their taxes lowered by an infinitesimal amount.

If you tear it down, the new construction constitutes "new property" and any increase in taxes is added upon the old levy.

If I was really a conspiracy nut, I would say, that it is in the city's best interest to do everything in its power to discourage you from repairing the property, to force you to tear it down, and then, stall up your permits for new construction until is has been assessed as vacant property, unloading its portion of the levy unto other taxpayers.

That way, they would make the most money.

But they'd never do that.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Unfortunately, the financial incentive for the city, is to make you tear it down and build new.

Thanks to the vagaries of property tax limitation law, the city's property tax levy on "old property" is capped at 1994 plus inflation.

If you fix up an abandoned 3 flat in Douglas Park, when you're done, the taxes on that property might double, but the city does not see one extra dime. All that happens is that everyone else has their taxes lowered by an infinitesimal amount.

If you tear it down, the new construction constitutes "new property" and any increase in taxes is added upon the old levy.

If I was really a conspiracy nut, I would say, that it is in the city's best interest to do everything in its power to discourage you from repairing the property, to force you to tear it down, and then, stall up your permits for new construction until is has been assessed as vacant property, unloading its portion of the levy unto other taxpayers.

That way, they would make the most money.

But they'd never do that.
Yeah but that incentivizes me not to tear down because my six flat that's worth say $1 million after I renovate it is only taxed like $5000 instead of the $10,000 that a new one would be.

Also I owned a building that was vacant so long it was taxed at land value and the taxes went up by 10 fold when I rehabbed it. You are telling me the tax increase from that came from lowering my neighbors taxes? Then there shouldn't be any issue with gentrification since it lowers taxes on existing neighbors houses?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development