HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 8:36 PM

Media Messups

Thought it would be fun to have a spot to post the faux-pas our less-than-stellar media outlets make us suffer through.

My first entry is referencing the Hamilton Spectator - big shock. This morning's main headline read as follows:

Derailed cars cleared in time for your commute
Today, all systems GO
by Dana Brown.

The article starts with a reassuring "Commuters can breathe a sigh of relief - it's unlikely a train derailment that caused transit chaos yesterday will continue to wreak havoc today."

Well, as those who take the GO Train already know, there was no GO service to Hamilton this morning. Nor will ther be service to Hamilton this evening. In fact, I received an e-mail at 8:03PM Monday night from GO Transit that clearly stated that 'Due to a freight train derailment just east of Aldershot station, all GO Trains will begin and end at Burlington until further notice. There will be no train service for Hamilton or Aldershot until the tracks used by GO are open again. Passengers will be shuttled by GO Bus between Hamilton, Aldershot, and Burlington."

So, one has only two explanations for this very faulty headline. Either Dana Brown has a very early bedtime and he didn't stay up past 8:00 to monitor the story for updates, or the Spec goes to press before 8:00PM. Whichever explanation is applicable, it is obvious that accuracy is not big on the Spec's goals and aspirations.

As I rode my shuttle bus this morning, I unrolled by Spec and chuckled at the headline, paying inadvertant homage to the infamous 'Dewey Defeats Truman' headline that every journalism student sees in the first year of study. You know, the one they use as an example of the importance of accuracy and timeliness on front-page headlines...

Fortunately for most citizens of Hamilton, we learned early on not to rely on Hamilton news outlets to deliver accurate information in a timely manner, and today's misleading headline was more a source of humor than frustration.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:13 PM

Ha! I just saw that on the front page and wondered what was up. GO seemed to handle the situation well running two buses one from Hamilton and one from Aldershot. My train was only delayed about 10 minutes out of Burlington as a result.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:50 PM
Closed account

evening rush hour and there is still no trains.
If you really want to fill this section with media mess-ups, look for spelling mistakes on local streets and stuff like "east/west". So often they say "a robbery in the east end at Barton St WEST and Kenilworth" etc....its hilarious.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 10:01 PM
Closed account

^^ haha I noticed that this mroning. I wake up, The Weather Network tells me there's no service and to expect delays. On my way down to work, I see the Spec and see 'Today, all systems GO!" ahhaha I was like "Huh!?"

It's the Spec tho... what do you expect!?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:15 AM
On Guard For Thee

I'm sorry if I'm stating the plainly obvious--but you do realize that The Spec has a press time and television works in real time. Did you consider that at press time GO Transit may have believed it was set to operate on schedule? It's fair to blast the media for spelling errors and factual errors--but going after the paper on an issue like this is a reach. If anything it was a poor choice to lead with on A1--but I'm sure the information was accurate at press time. Did you check thespec.com?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
I'm sorry if I'm stating the plainly obvious--but you do realize that The Spec has a press time and television works in real time. Did you consider that at press time GO Transit may have believed it was set to operate on schedule? It's fair to blast the media for spelling errors and factual errors--but going after the paper on an issue like this is a reach. If anything it was a poor choice to lead with on A1--but I'm sure the information was accurate at press time. Did you check thespec.com?
yup. they had the story online until at least noon.
As far as I can tell, the Star didn't have this story...I only saw their online edition though.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:36 PM
Closed account

I was at the Bad Dog this morning and they had yesterdays TO Star still there.
They had an article on the train derailment and stated that "CN officials we spoke to said despite their best efforts the cleanup wouldn't be done in time for the morning commute. Shuttle buses would be available to the GO Station throughout the day and evening on Tuesday".

fastcars, you can defend a lot of things, and quite well....don't waste your efforts on the Spec. it sucks!! Those of us who live here and read it everyday know first hand.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:19 PM

Quote:
If you re-read my original post, GO Transit sent e-mails out on Monday evening at 8pm saying that service to Hamilton and Aldershot was suspended until further notice. So, unless press time is before 8pm, the information was not accurate at press time. This is my beef here. The Toronto Star got it right in their paper, and the Spec did not.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:47 PM
On Guard For Thee

I've never had a beef with The Spec and read the online version daily. In the past I've read some good arguments about poor journalism/inaccuracy at The Spectator--my point here is that attacking on this particular point is a reach. Obviously someone at the paper was given incorrect information at press time--Dewey Defeats Truman.

markbarbera--before you get all up on me about not reading your posts (I read eveyone's posts)--I'm aware of the GO email--do you have some information on what info GO passed to The Spectator AT press time? This discussion was not about information that was passed from GO to it's riders--but what information The Spectator had at press time. To the best of my knowledge neither of us is privy to that information.

It's amusing that everyone here rushes to The Star's defence (and again not considering that paper's political bias)--you all do remember that the The Spec's puppet-masters are at One Yonge Street, right? That these are the people who promised a Sunday edition when they bought the paper and never delivered?

Considering that most major metropolitan dailies in this country are reasonably similar--The Spectator is average at worst compared to it's contemporaries. Like most paper's it relies heavily on wire stories--but it's local news and sports coverage is better than average in my experience. The Windsor Star is supposedly the most-read metropolitan daily in Canada per capita, and I assure you it is no better than The Spec--in fact, it's inaccuracies and coverage of fluff stories make it worse in my eyes.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 4:53 PM

Quote:
markbarbera--before you get all up on me about not reading your posts (I read eveyone's posts)--I'm aware of the GO email--do you have some information on what info GO passed to The Spectator AT press time? This discussion was not about information that was passed from GO to it's riders--but what information The Spectator had at press time. To the best of my knowledge neither of us is privy to that information.
How is it that The Star had the story right at press time and The Spec did not? And why go with a headline like that when the resumption of service was at best uncertain? Why be an apologist for poor journalism?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:40 PM
Closed account

fastcars, you're really losing me now. The "Stars political bias"?? what the heck are you talking about?? you mean getting their facts straight on an important story affecting thousands of commuters instead of slapping together some garbage piece and hitting the sack early like it appears the Spec always does??
I'm glad you pointed out the Specs ownership. It's one of the rare cases where a smaller company is bought out and allowed to continue operating on their own without being folded into the mega-corp. In this case, I wish the Spec was folded in the mega-corp called Torstar. I'd be happy to do without a small piece of Hamilton's history - The Spectator - and replace it with the Hamilton Star if it meant getting decent news instead of just being a puppet-rag for LIUNA and any other mobster/thugs who decide to hijack city hall.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:52 PM
On Guard For Thee

I'm far from an apologist for poor journalism. I actually think leading with the story was a poor editorial decision given that there was some question about the resumption of service. Nonetheless, it doesn't extend beyond being a poor decision.

I'm losing you? I'm pretty sure you just advocated for replacement of The Spectator with a reskinned version of The Star? Are you actually serious? I have enormous respect for your hopes and dreams for Hamilton--but if you're willing to give up a stand-alone media outlet for a copy-cat rag from Toronto I seriously question whether or not your political motives are not outweighing your desire for a better Hamilton. The Hamilton Star? What a sickening thought. LIUNA? Thugs? What???

As for the actual Toronto Star--good for them for getting the GO story correct. Nonetheless, are you claiming that you don't realize that The Star has a strong political bias? You do realize that in large multi-paper cities it is typical for papers to have a more blatant political stance, right? You do realize the Liberal party basically prints The Star, correct?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 6:26 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you just advocated for replacement of The Spectator with a reskinned version of The Star?
This would be an improvement, because currently The Spec is not much more than a reskinned version of the Metro.

Quote:
As for the actual Toronto Star--good for them for getting the GO story correct. Nonetheless, are you claiming that you don't realize that The Star has a strong political bias? You do realize that in large multi-paper cities it is typical for papers to have a more blatant political stance, right? You do realize the Liberal party basically prints The Star, correct?
When is the last time you read the Toronto Star? Certainly not during the last two federal elections. The paper was anything but pro-Liberal from a federal perspective. Provincially, they have been quite gentle on McGuinty, but anyone who reads the paper daily knows their political hearts and minds are with the New Democrats and not the Liberals.

The Toronto Star is one of the few remaining left-leaning papers. Most printed media bias is directed right of the political spectrum these days. But I was not talking about media bias in this thread, I was bemoaning the lack of journalistic quality in the Spec, and the GO headline from Tuesday's paper was a prime example of it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:28 PM

I noticed that too, checked both the Spec and the Star at the same time numerous times on Monday evening, and noticed that. It affected me cause I went to Toronto last night, but I was heading inbound to Toronto around the evening rush hour, so there was little or no delay.

Considering every media source said that Go trains would be on hold until furthur notice, and that the Spec was the only site to say that it was all good, I find that laughable, and that issue isn't minor either at all. I was at the Hamilton Go Centre, and they need those big boards you see at Union Station that are graphically changed around. There was little idea about the tieups around Aldershot, I had known, but I had to clarify with the driver to make sure that the bus I was on was actually going to Burlington to meet the train. It wasn't confusing to me, but I think if you would read the Spec and figure out your travel plans for yesterday, it would be a tad confusing for some.

I don't read the Spec anyways most of the time, find it pretty bland and disinteresting. I'll usually go with the National Post, or even just keep tabs on London with the Free Press Online there.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 8:00 PM
Closed account

^^ You should take the QEW Express (Bus) to Toronto, man!
It takes like 1/2 the time (bet 45-55 mins), there's no transferring to a train AND you get your own personal comfortable chair (complete with personal light & climate control)!

Back in the day it was a pain as the terminal used to be at Dundas/Bay area. Now it's right across from Union in a beautiful terminal.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 8:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
This would be an improvement, because currently The Spec is not much more than a reskinned version of the Metro.

When is the last time you read the Toronto Star? Certainly not during the last two federal elections. The paper was anything but pro-Liberal from a federal perspective. Provincially, they have been quite gentle on McGuinty, but anyone who reads the paper daily knows their political hearts and minds are with the New Democrats and not the Liberals.

The Toronto Star is one of the few remaining left-leaning papers. Most printed media bias is directed right of the political spectrum these days. But I was not talking about media bias in this thread, I was bemoaning the lack of journalistic quality in the Spec, and the GO headline from Tuesday's paper was a prime example of it.

yea, I'm at a loss for that "Liberal TO Star" comment. One of their main politics writers seems to do nothing but slam them week after week. She gets interviewed on CBC as part of their 'At Issue' panel and does a great job of exposing the stupidity going on in that party....she doesn't come across as a fan of any particular party, but really takes jabs at the Liberals.

Fastcars, you're reminding me of folks from years ago who used to listen to talk radio wonks like Bill Carrol or Charles Adler and actually believe them when they'd try to paint the CBC or some other outlet as left-wing wackos.
The radio guys are simply trying to draw listeners. Anyone who wants to know what's really going on in Canada and have government mismanagement, waste and corruption exposed should be tuning into the CBC.
The days of pandering to a certain political party have long since left the station. Take a wild step into the 21st Century and quite looking at life through 1980's glasses.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ You should take the QEW Express (Bus) to Toronto, man!
It takes like 1/2 the time (bet 45-55 mins), there's no transferring to a train AND you get your own personal comfortable chair (complete with personal light & climate control)!

Back in the day it was a pain as the terminal used to be at Dundas/Bay area. Now it's right across from Union in a beautiful terminal.
haha..oh i know all about the Go express bus, usually how i take it, I was bored, had plenty of time, and like taking the train better, get some different scenery anyways. I took it on the way back.

I like the terminal there for sure, although connections from the Union Station to the Bus terminal seems a bit odd, first time I walked through there I wasn't sure if it was the right place to be, since you are walking right along the train tracks.

Just was spicing it up, and since my train arrived at 4:57 PM on a tuesday afternoon in Toronto, i wanted to fully experience Union Station at that time. and WOW..it is ever hectic and busy! I loved it though!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 9:27 PM
On Guard For Thee

The CBC for better or for worse has always been relatively proud of it's left-lean. I have a hard time believing anyone worth their weight at the CBC would claim otherwise. These are the people that spend public dollars to push their agenda--my only beef with the CBC has been their public funding source...otherwise they can do/say whatever they please...but spare me any lectures about their clarity and impartiality.

A left-lean in the media is not quaint notion--in fact, it's alive and well. Balancing that there are other media outlets that lean right of centre. Amazing how some folks get excitied about a political slant at The National Post or Fox News Channel when it is merely the mirror image of what has existed at media outlets throughout the history of journalism.

Nonetheless, I will say again, whoever decided to lead The Spec with the story that proved to be inaccurate ought to be embarassed. Nonetheless, it alone is not an indicator of poor jounalism or pandering to "thugs" but merely a poor editorial decision.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 9:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
The CBC for better or for worse has always been relatively proud of it's left-lean. I have a hard time believing anyone worth their weight at the CBC would claim otherwise. These are the people that spend public dollars to push their agenda--my only beef with the CBC has been their public funding source...otherwise they can do/say whatever they please...but spare me any lectures about their clarity and impartiality.

A left-lean in the media is not quaint notion--in fact, it's alive and well. Balancing that there are other media outlets that lean right of centre. Amazing how some folks get excitied about a political slant at The National Post or Fox News Channel when it is merely the mirror image of what has existed at media outlets throughout the history of journalism.

Nonetheless, I will say again, whoever decided to lead The Spec with the story that proved to be inaccurate ought to be embarassed. Nonetheless, it alone is not an indicator of poor jounalism or pandering to "thugs" but merely a poor editorial decision.

I'm sorry, but you sound 55 years old.
I would respectfully ask you to watch the National at 10pm on CBC for 2 weeks and let me know what you honestly think.
I'm not aware of any other media outlets on TV or radio that are as blatant in their bias as FOX. They aren't balancing anything...they've crossed the line from journalism into fearmongering, puppet-talk and corporations controlling the message.
I'm not sure if you call them right-leaning or left or what...but in terms of plain old ignorance and refusal to deal with facts, they are on an island.
I don't even consider them a media outlet...FOX has done nothing but ruin TV with 'reality' shows (at least there's more reality in them than in their 'news' casts) glowing hockey pucks, stupid robots on their NFL coverage etc.....
I won't mind if you don't take up my offer, but I'd really be curious to see you watch the National for 2 weeks with no pre-conceived ideas.
I never used to watch it...once I did I was hooked. It's good old fashioned Canadian news.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Your opinion on the CBC may have been true in the past, but a left-leaning bias can no longer be claimed against them today. Do me a favour, go to CBC.ca/news and look at today's headlines. Show me a Liberal-positive headline. In fact, there are two stories that are quite unfriendly to the Liberals among the top national headlines for today. The Liberal love affair came to an end shortly after former Tory Perrin Beatty had a go at the top reigns of the CBC a number of years back.

Personally, I think Canada is much better served with the CBC and have no problem whatsoever with public dollars going towards the network. The only 'agenda' they push is to live up to their mandate. Their in-depth reporting and investigative programs have done a great service to this nation, and they set the standard for journalistic integrity for all other Canadian news agencies to strive for. Sadly, few actually do meet the standard, regardless of their political slant (The left-leaning CITY-TV leaves as much to be desired as the right-wing CTV as far as news coverage goes. Any news station that has to lead a big news story with a bright flash and an electronic guitar twang is not intersted in telling it like it is)

It is kinda funny to read fastcars accusing RTH as being a smug leftist with a sense of superiority. The irony certainly is not lost on me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion