HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 3:31 PM

What a joke (Beaverpond Protesters)

I fully support peoples right to protest everyone has that right and yes people should protest when they feel there is a need to.Now with that said what the protesters did yesterday skating down the canal dressed as trees durring one if not ottawa biggest events is a very big embarrasment.One would think ottawa is now hands down the laughing stock of the country maybe even north america.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 4:03 PM

I think it would be great if we could save the forest, but realistically it is not possible unless the city spends millions of dollars, which I object to.

That said, I think people should be able to dress up as pretty much whatever they like. I think the fact that they were ordered to stop carrying a sign by the police is the embarrassing part.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I think it would be great if we could save the forest, but realistically it is not possible unless the city spends millions of dollars, which I object to.

That said, I think people should be able to dress up as pretty much whatever they like. I think the fact that they were ordered to stop carrying a sign by the police is the embarrassing part.
As for the sign there are fine lines if they stayed at the beaver pond or area and did it thats one thing .Going on to the canal is another issue and the police were right to do what they did sure they have the right to be upset but on the grand scale this is very very small.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

Seriously, though. I disagree with the protestors, but I agree even more with their Charter rights.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 12:37 AM

I agree with the protesters, and I more strongly agree with the right to protest publically.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 12:39 AM

I agree with the protesters too. There are plenty of places to build, they don't need to do it in that exact spot.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I agree with the protesters too. There are plenty of places to build, they don't need to do it in that exact spot.
The issue is knl did buy the land 20 years ago people were allowed to use the land for the past 20 years ago now knl wants to devlope it and people are up in arms.There is a bigger issue everytime there is a devlopment some protest almost every time its a issue in this city.What gets me with the beaverpond is i talked to some people who live around there and they say knl should plant treees and not devlope there so some wnat it both ways no houses but knl should be forced to pmat treees and take the loss meaning the city should not pay them for the land.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:38 PM

It's always the same problem. People buy houses/condos/property without properly researching the surrounding properties, who owns them, and what they are zoned for. Anyone in that neighbourhood could have accessed this info through the city of Ottawa's online zoning bylaw and it would be no surprise what is going to be built there. Not only is it reasonable to do this research, I would debate that it is expected and is part of any new home buyer's due diligence. I do understand their concern, the Beaver Pond is a beautiful area, but it's days have been numbered for 20+ years.

Here in Mondrian, there are tons of people on the North side who are up in arms about the tower going up that will block their views of parliament/Gatineau Hills/etc. The exact plan for Standard Life 3 may not have been in place 3-4 years ago, but there's no question what that lot was zoned for. I based my South-side purchase on the fact that there is a herritage building next door followed by the Gloucester Street boundary, which basically guarantees I won't see anything more than 12-15 storeys (shorter than me) entering my view.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
It's always the same problem. People buy houses/condos/property without properly researching the surrounding properties, who owns them, and what they are zoned for. Anyone in that neighbourhood could have accessed this info through the city of Ottawa's online zoning bylaw and it would be no surprise what is going to be built there. Not only is it reasonable to do this research, I would debate that it is expected and is part of any new home buyer's due diligence. I do understand their concern, the Beaver Pond is a beautiful area, but it's days have been numbered for 20+ years.

Here in Mondrian, there are tons of people on the North side who are up in arms about the tower going up that will block their views of parliament/Gatineau Hills/etc. The exact plan for Standard Life 3 may not have been in place 3-4 years ago, but there's no question what that lot was zoned for. I based my South-side purchase on the fact that there is a herritage building next door followed by the Gloucester Street boundary, which basically guarantees I won't see anything more than 12-15 storeys (shorter than me) entering my view.
Any idea when the standard life 3 constrction will start?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Any idea when the standard life 3 constrction will start?
No word yet, but I'll bet once there are definitive plans to gut L'Esplanade 1 and 2 then this this will have to get built (to house all the displaced workers).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I based my South-side purchase on the fact that there is a herritage building next door followed by the Gloucester Street boundary, which basically guarantees I won't see anything more than 12-15 storeys (shorter than me) entering my view.
Until Claridge's 3 27-storey towers south of Gloucester set a new precedent.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 3:55 AM
National Capital Region

My take on it is that it is better to blow away bits of Canadian Shield than to plough under farmland for housing. While it's true that locally we have more farmland than Canadian Shield around us, provincially and nationally we have relatively little fertile farmland and lots of Canadian Shield. It's embarrassing to see people protesting the use of rock outcrops for housing while there is not a peep of protest about the nearby Carp valley (i.e. around Scotiabank Place either side of the Queensway) being similarly developed. I'd sooner see the entire Carp Ridge developed right to the outskirts of Fitzroy Harbour than have the Carp Valley developed. That said, some of the least valuable land in the region is not on the Carp Ridge (which is at least locally unique) but in the areas west of Stittsville, roughly straddling the former CPR line between Hwy 7 and Flewellyn Rd. The soils are shallow, are not much good for anything and are waterlogged in the spring, sitting right on top of fractured limestone. The area in the Greenbelt between Robertson Rd, Bells Corners, Kanata and Hwy 416 is pretty much the same kind of land as well. Of course that's just the kind of land that people are more likely to get upset about.

As for the protest on the Canal, the truly embarrassing actions were those of the police.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
My take on it is that it is better to blow away bits of Canadian Shield than to plough under farmland for housing. While it's true that locally we have more farmland than Canadian Shield around us, provincially and nationally we have relatively little fertile farmland and lots of Canadian Shield. It's embarrassing to see people protesting the use of rock outcrops for housing while there is not a peep of protest about the nearby Carp valley (i.e. around Scotiabank Place either side of the Queensway) being similarly developed. I'd sooner see the entire Carp Ridge developed right to the outskirts of Fitzroy Harbour than have the Carp Valley developed. That said, some of the least valuable land in the region is not on the Carp Ridge (which is at least locally unique) but in the areas west of Stittsville, roughly straddling the former CPR line between Hwy 7 and Flewellyn Rd. The soils are shallow, are not much good for anything and are waterlogged in the spring, sitting right on top of fractured limestone. The area in the Greenbelt between Robertson Rd, Bells Corners, Kanata and Hwy 416 is pretty much the same kind of land as well. Of course that's just the kind of land that people are more likely to get upset about.

As for the protest on the Canal, the truly embarrassing actions were those of the police.
With so many probleams in canada in many cases paeople don't seem to care but when it comes to cutting trees down people are up in arms and take the streets.Its embarrasing cutting trees down seems more imortant a bigger issue then out health care or our frefugee policys for some that is why i said its embarrasing.I am aslo get fed up everytime there is a devlopment people get worked up and more or less want a park if were not careful ottawa will be 80-90% parks and green space.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion