HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 9:52 AM
Ground Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
Hey does anyone know anything about this project?

2044 Glenarm
Muti‐Family Residential
C‐MX‐5
2012D00228
Zoning Application Date: 07/05/2012
Does anyone know how hard it would be to get rid of that tiny street that cuts the corner off the intersection of E.20th Ave and Glenarm? Can a developer initiate something or is it strictly up to the city to parcel that out? It seems like such a waste of a street and corner as all it does is provide easier access to a parking lot.
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
- I think BCP mentioned this a few pages back, there's a proposed apartment building for 17th and Boulder (LoHi Cityview Apartments 2547 17th St)where mod livin and three derelict older homes now sit. The houses face 17th street and are in pretty bad shape. I rode the bike by there today and things have changed. The yards have been cleared of all debris and the homes are now empty. It looks like they might be getting ready for demolition.
The developer is doing a presentation of the project to the neighborhood assoc. next month just as a courtesy.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 1:44 PM

2220 Washington

There is a long vacant lot that is finally seeing some action at 2220 Washington. It's the large lot behind the Safeway on Washington. It changed hands back in April in a Quit Claim and now has a for sale sign on it. Yesterday I saw a temporary fence had gone up around it. Does anyone have any info on what might be happening there? Have any permits been pulled? Do any of the San Rafael neighbors know what's happening. I sure would love to see some single family homes put in there like the project McStain did next to Curtis Park.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulopolis View Post
Is this development this one? http://www.meridian105.com/projecttejon.html

I arrive in Denver tomorrow. I'm excited to see all of the development!
Yup Paul, that is the one! Thanks for the link btw, I had lost it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cona View Post
The developer is doing a presentation of the project to the neighborhood assoc. next month just as a courtesy.
Nice Cona, were you the one that originally brought this to our attention? If so, thanks!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 7:40 PM

Let it Begin!

They have begun to demolish the buildings at Zuni and Speer behind the Gas Station! Another project underway. This is going to be a crazy year for Downtown and Highlands!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:44 PM

I just did a huge walk around town, from Capitol Hill to Arapahoe Square to Lower Highland and back through the Golden Triangle. Wow, there is a lot going on, especially in Lower Highland. It seems like every other lot is a new build or under construction in that neighborhood.

A few observations:

- A gray tower crane is being erected at One City Block today.

- The parking lot at 15th & California is taped off and when I walked by three large trucks, two of them water tankers, and a smaller truck from a company called DBi were in the lot. This the lot that rds mentioned was the site of a 25-30 story hotel proposal.

- Manhattan Lofts and Prospect on Central are pretty nice. I could see them being converted into condos someday.

- The facade materials on 2020 Lawrence are really cheap looking. The project is disappointing aesthetically.

- The old building with the adult arcade right by 2020 Lawrence seems to be empty and undergoing refurbishment. I wonder what will go in it?

- DaVita came out really nice! The lighting scheme is icing on the cake.

- ReadyTalk has a sign on 1900 16th St. They're a fast growing local tech startup. Maybe the CPV can become another big node of Denver's tech scene.

- I surveyed all the construction at Union Station from Millenium Bridge and was blown away. I perversely hoped that Alta City House in its current incarnation would fall through so something using the lot's maximum allowable height could be proposed in its place. I think they're going to be kicking themselves later on if they don't go big on the site now.

- I can't wait for 20th & Chestnut to break ground.

It's nice to be home and the cooler weather's appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 10:09 PM
Ground Scraper

Quote:
- ReadyTalk has a sign on 1900 16th St. They're a fast growing local tech startup. Maybe the CPV can become another big node of Denver's tech scene.
I just met a couple of people from there and creeped them out with my unusual knowledge of their location. It went something like this:

We're by that big bridge.
Me: the Millenium bridge?
Uh, yeah.
Me: So are you guys in the DaVita building?
No, the other one.
Me: Oh yeah, 1900 16th Street.
Uh... <wtf look>

Anyway, it's nice to see that building fill up and more tech companies locating downtown. Longview Systems out of Calgary is growing their presence in downtown as well.

Regarding the 15th and California building. Is that the lot next to Bubba Gump's or the Makovsky block on the caddy corner?
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 1:40 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
- A gray tower crane is being erected at One City Block today.

It's nice to be home and the cooler weather's appreciated.
Welcome back home! And the crane is just in the reaches of my view, heavily obstructed but it deserves some picture credit

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Regarding the 15th and California building. Is that the lot next to Bubba Gump's or the Makovsky block on the caddy corner?
Yup, it's the lot next to Bubba Gump. I'll have to look up Longview Systems.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 2:25 PM
ColoRADo

Site plan for Dick's Field:

More info here.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 3:06 PM
Urban Living

barf

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 4:35 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
barf
I thought you all would like it. Haha.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 5:04 PM
Ground Scraper

Nuke the Dick's.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 5:56 PM

Dick's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
clearly the proposal needs a lot more surface parking . . . not

What a missed opportunity - there's a reference to a light rail station being nearby (eventually) . . .
. . . obviously the good folks in CC need a primer on TOD 101.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
- The old building with the adult arcade right by 2020 Lawrence seems to be empty and undergoing refurbishment. I wonder what will go in it?

This is the new restaurant and music venue by the guy who started Root Down and Linger:

http://denver.eater.com/archives/201...e-revealed.php

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Is the site at the lower left along 56th where the proposed Stapleton High School will be located? I don't mind the sports fields and some retail along Quebec but is there a need for more office space there? Seems like it should be neighborhoods like the rest of Stapleton North south of 56th and east of Central Park Blvd. Concentrate what offices they will build into a higher density node south of I-70 closer to the light rail station and town center.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docroc View Post
clearly the proposal needs a lot more surface parking . . . not

What a missed opportunity - there's a reference to a light rail station being nearby (eventually) . . .
. . . obviously the good folks in CC need a primer on TOD 101.
Unfortunately even Denver's true TOD's have entirely too much parking in their plans. The most effective way to increase transit use, bicycling, and walking is to restrict car use and the availability of free/cheap parking. Most people will always choose convenience. Consequently our future TOD's will be glorified park-and-rides because the only place with difficult and expensive parking is downtown. Perhaps we can view them as a land bank for future infill development, but at some point we have to acknowledge (and proactively push for) a shift in car use in this city. Until then we will continue to justify the need for oceans of parking.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 9:31 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla82 View Post
Unfortunately even Denver's true TOD's have entirely too much parking in their plans. The most effective way to increase transit use, bicycling, and walking is to restrict car use and the availability of free/cheap parking. Most people will always choose convenience. Consequently our future TOD's will be glorified park-and-rides because the only place with difficult and expensive parking is downtown. Perhaps we can view them as a land bank for future infill development, but at some point we have to acknowledge (and proactively push for) a shift in car use in this city. Until then we will continue to justify the need for oceans of parking.
I agree with you, but I'll say this again. Parking on most of RTD's lines was dictated by the Feds. Any plans for redevelopment must accommodate such parking requirements until they are useless/not required.

They are placeholders for future development. Because lets be honest, there isn't exactly a whole bunch of TOD happening anywhere (save DUS) right now regardless of parking issues.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 10:04 PM

It's mostly marketing speak, Fastracks Light rail (sic) will be about as near to Dicks Sporting Goods park as the Denver botanic gardens currently is to existing actual light rail. There's no conceivable reason to be doing TOD near Dick's since the most successful public transportation in that area for the next few decades will likely be the buses from the pubs to the Rapids games.

Last edited by bobg; Aug 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West