HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:36 PM

Has anybody heard about the redevelopment of the Office Depot site on Colfax? I remember hearing something about it last year, but no detailed info.

However, building permits have been submitted for a new building at 616 e. Colfax, and for a small(?) building at 600 E. Colfax.

I am surprised that there has been nothing written about it in Life on Capitol Hill or others.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:51 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COtoOC View Post
But since they're moving the elephants and other exhibits into the new space, I'm assuming that leaves a few "holes" in the existing zoo that they'll be able to fill. I haven't heard about any plans for the old exhibit sites. I have two 4-year-olds, so I know the zoo pretty well lol!
Here's what the Denver Zoo's Master Plan envisions:

http://denverzoo.org/AT/assets/pdf/F...ct%20sheet.pdf

They're a couple years behind, but I think they'll be redoing the African Safari section next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
They could still consolidate their surface parking into structured parking and expand to the northeast. Also, they could purchase the athletic fields on the corner of Colorado & 23rd. I never considered those to be part of City Park but I'm not sure who owns that property.
It's part of City Park and is owned by the City and County of Denver and I don't think the surrounding neighborhoods would appreciate losing their local athletic fields.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:57 PM
mmmmkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
So I was looking through the ROW plan review website within Denvergov and I found some interesting stuff. I noticed that there were major encumberance permits submitted for some apartment projects we've heard about lately. I am not going to bet the farm based on just these submittals that the project will breakground....I know there's more to this process than just getting one permit. With that said, the projects that have asked for MEPs are:

1. 1490 Delgany
2. The Residences at 19th and Logan
3. 2300 Walnut
4. 2120 Blake St

Also Riverfront Park is asking the city if it can move it's neighborhood sign at 20th and Little Raven since that lot is supposed to be developed by AMLI. But I didn't see anything submitted in the ROW section for AMLI.

I would be pretty happy if these 4 projects really did breakground this year. According to Redpeak's website they are pushing for a Q2 2012 groundbreaking. That would be amazing!
As one of the sub-contractors for 2300 Walnut, we have been giving the go ahead to produce our scope of the work today. We have been waiting months for this news, which means the financing must finally be in place.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:44 PM

Got this email today:

Attn: Waterside Lofts, Wewatta Transfer, Daniels and Fisher, Delgany Lofts, Art House

RE: 1490 Delgany -Construction

To whom it may concern:

I write to inform you that Opus Design Build, LLC has mobilized onsite of the 1490 Delgany Project and has started

installation of dry utilities including Xcel Energy, Comcast and Centurylink along Delgany Street. We also have
underway preparation for demolition of the 1425 Wewatta Building.
Opus anticipates beginning wet utility installation including the installation of storm, sanitary and domestic water lines within two (2) weeks.

Once this work has been completed, Opus will begin demolition of the existing structures along the Daniels and Fisher Building, 15th Street and Wewatta Street late April and into early May. The start date shall be determined upon the permitting process with City and County of Denver Building Department.

Opus Design Build Milestone Construction Schedule

Demolition - April and May 2012

Shoring and Excavation - May and June 2012

Foundation and Structure - June 2012 through February 2013

Enclosure - December 2012 through July 2013

Interior Finishes - January 2013 through January 2014

Certificate of Occupancy - January 2014

If you or your staff has any questions or concerns, please contact me to discuss.

Sincerely,

Mark Baird
Project Manager
OPUS DESIGN BUILD, L.L.C.
4643 S. Ulster Street, Suite 325, Denver, CO 80237
P: 303-225-1760 | F: 303-225-1761

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Has anybody heard about the redevelopment of the Office Depot site on Colfax? I remember hearing something about it last year, but no detailed info.

However, building permits have been submitted for a new building at 616 e. Colfax, and for a small(?) building at 600 E. Colfax.

I am surprised that there has been nothing written about it in Life on Capitol Hill or others.
No RDS, I havent heard a thing. That's the old Safeway building off of Pearl right. Obviously I can do a google/map to see.... Two buildings eh? Very interesting.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
As one of the sub-contractors for 2300 Walnut, we have been giving the go ahead to produce our scope of the work today. We have been waiting months for this news, which means the financing must finally be in place.
Welcome Brian! Thanks for the info, that's been a parking lot for way too long!

Thanks for the info Fritzdude, I guess that website I found can come in handy for figuring out project statuses!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhomeDenver View Post
LOL, i bet it's this proposal right here!! (Just kidding!)

Big circular skyscraper rising into sky

This is EXACTELY what Denver Needs In My Honest Opinion. If the local economy contiues to do well and Union Station possibly LoDo among other area's continue to thrive with the small to mid size developments I honestly believe Denver is Wwwaaaaaaaay Overdue for a new Tallest. Especially with all the other major things happening with the City what better way to cap it off?

I pulled the website on the link you had provided, it seems very "conceptual" at this point, but hey that's how it always starts. One never know's!

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 11:22 PM
Ground Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm3034L!fe View Post
This is EXACTELY what Denver Needs In My Honest Opinion.
NAY! It needs at least a million of these. Then... THEN, it will truely bea WORLD CLASS CITTEY!!!1! Like hard black nipples they will thrust into the sky!
"When white people move out of a neighborhood, it's called white flight and it's racist. When white people move back to a neighborhood, it's called gentrification and it's racist. So, white people should just never move." - internet comment

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:53 AM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Dirt I know you're just being funny and your comment actually is funny.

But think about this it's been 30 years since Denver has had a New Tallest Tower developed, wouldn't ya say a city that has grown this much in 30 years should have had something developed over 720' by now?

I guess we will see in the near future, with Union Station and other inique developments around the Metro Denver Area, i'm sure someone is bound to come along with some Balls and vision...

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 12:57 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
I guess we will see in the near future, with Union Station and other inique developments around the Metro Denver Area, i'm sure someone is bound to come along with some Balls and vision...
No one gives two shits about balls and vision, there's plenty of that to go around (a few guys on here are good examples). If you don't have the cash, you're just another guy who talks a good talk but still pisses in the common man's trough.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
This has been discussed before but what major corporation is going to build a new tallest in Denver? There isn't a company here *currently* that I could see building one. Most of the new office space downtown will be in Union Station in the form of 10-20 story buildings clustered along 16th.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:41 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

As said many many many many many many times before, infill is way way way more important than new tallest towers. We want this to start, then maybe years down the line we can have a new tallest. We just need to get our urban canyon game on..

(From my NYC trip)

(That's what we need to look like first IMO, obviously with more updated buildings, etc)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Dirt I know you're just being funny and your comment actually is funny.

But think about this it's been 30 years since Denver has had a New Tallest Tower developed, wouldn't ya say a city that has grown this much in 30 years should have had something developed over 720' by now?

You're like a one hit wonder dude. Flip the vinyl over to side B...maybe that will be more entertaining.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:12 PM

Mystery solved......

Office Depot will be moving into the long vacant retail space in the EPA building at 1595 Wynkoop.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:18 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

^I'll take it. I completely forgot that over half of the EPA building's ground floor retail is vacant. That is a pretty big chunk of space.

Last edited by wong21fr; Apr 17, 2012 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:15 PM
ColoRADo

That's great news!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:10 PM

More Jobs for Metro Denver

Denver Metro Area to See Five New Walmarts and 400 New Jobs

By Howard Pankratz The Denver Post 04/17/12 - 9:17 AM EDT
Walmart is hiring approximately 400 part- and full-time associates to work at five new Walmart Neighborhood Markets slated to open in the Denver metro area this summer, the company announced today.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 8:17 PM

w 20th & federal blvd

While driving up federal today i noticed the whole half block bound by federal, w 20th & w 21st has been fenced off, and has some pretty heavy duty excavation going on. (adjacent to sports authority field) There was a small abandonded office building on site till just recently that has been demo'd. I checked online but didn't see any permits. Anyone have any info?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
While driving up federal today i noticed the whole half block bound by federal, w 20th & w 21st has been fenced off, and has some pretty heavy duty excavation going on. (adjacent to sports authority field) There was a small abandonded office building on site till just recently that has been demo'd. I checked online but didn't see any permits. Anyone have any info?
It's a new tire center. Not the best project for the area but the site has been vacant for a long time.

http://www.federalboulevard.com/2012...ict/#more-1396

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 10:00 PM

Guess we are going to need a CU Boulder page soon.

Current

Soon

Folsom Expansion: First and foremost, Folsom will be seeing a "transformational" facilities upgrade in the near future. Rumors and speculation surrounding possible Folsom upgrades had been rampant since photos of an expanded Folsom model leaked on National Signing Day. Furthered by the fact that big-time CU athletics booster George Solich was soon to come into a few extra billion in cash, many in Buff Nation believed related upgrade announcements were just over the horizon. It seems that we'll only have to wait until September to see these dreams become a reality.

Official announcement in Sept. Not only the expansion to the stadium but several other new facilities as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West