HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Hmm. I think I am liking the older design more. Fits in with New Gower and the existing centre more. Maybe because it's so better rendered than the coloured panels version. The coloured panels version kinda reminds me of a movie cineplex. Not a bad thing though. Would love to see a much more comprehensive drawing of it.
Agreed. Looks like a movie theatre.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:26 PM

It does kind of look like a movie theatre but hey, anything looks better than what is there now.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Apr 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 5:59 PM

Anyone know is going on with the harbourside condo development by Nolan Hall that was suppose to be constructed at the bottom of Temperance Street? Haven't heard anything on that in a while, I thought it was approved.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:54 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ No one seems to know about that one.

Quote:
Hmm. I think I am liking the older design more. Fits in with New Gower and the existing centre more. Maybe because it's so better rendered than the coloured panels version. The coloured panels version kinda reminds me of a movie cineplex. Not a bad thing though. Would love to see a much more comprehensive drawing of it.
I'm not sure what the intention is for the Convention Centre. The first design seemed like a complete design wheras the second one was more of a sketchy or conceptual revision showing only one view. Adding the coloured sections made it, well, more colourful and attention grabbing. A Convention Centre really should be something you could put on a postcard and not just an ordinary commercial looking building.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:56 AM

Thanks for posting the link showing the floor plans to the new proposed convention centre. I think it takes so long because the city has to expropriate the properties and I would say the legal stuff takes a while to sort out. The city is also taking time to find alternate living spaces for the people living in the boarding homes there. Then they have to demolish the properties and have to hire contractors to do that too. Lots of red tape before construction is to begin I guess. It will be nice though when its all completed and those crappy boarding houses area gone.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:59 AM

Haven't heard a peep on the Temperance Street Hotel/condos either. I understood those were approved. I park down near there everyday but doesn't seem to be any movement. I find its like that with a lot approved projects around town. The Steele hotel that is going next to The Magic Wok on Water Street was approved in 2007 and Steele just announced they will start this summer on construction.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:35 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Haven't heard a peep on the Temperance Street Hotel/condos either. I understood those were approved. I park down near there everyday but doesn't seem to be any movement. I find its like that with a lot approved projects around town. The Steele hotel that is going next to The Magic Wok on Water Street was approved in 2007 and Steele just announced they will start this summer on construction.
The Steele Hotel shows that some projects may wait for a few years before construction. . . but you can only be sure when the shovels actually go in the ground, and you can't be sure if the design has been changed (somewhat) either because the city can't always control design changes.

Usually the only way you find out a project is dead is if a new proposal comes along for the same site.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 18, 2012 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:15 AM

The posts below were originally posted in the Fortis Building thread. The discussion doesn't relate to that thread so I thought it would be a good idea to move it to the main thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I agree as well, I think a building around the 65m range would compliment the skyline of that area. That height would be tall enough to create an aesthetically pleasing contrast, but yet not so tall as to stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder what the demand for class A office space will be once Fortis, along with Deacon and 351 Water, are built? These projects may cool down the demand.... I guess that remains to be seen. However, I too am interested in what will be connected to the new convention centre where Ultramar is currently located????
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
Has it been stated that something will be attached?
No there hasn't, but having a skywalk leading to a gas station leads me to believe (potentially, at least) that something may be proposed for that site. There is no concrete evidence so my thoughts are purely speculative. It may be that no skywalk gets put there; the project is still in its infancy and is subject to many changes, as we've already seen by two different facade designs.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:44 AM

Wanted: rental units

Source: The Telegram, April 18 2012.

Quote:
It has been approximately 30 years since a new privately built apartment building with rental units has graced St. John’s, according to the city.
That is set to change with construction of a new building underway in Pleasantville, the city’s deputy mayor says more units are needed to accommodate people who cannot afford a mortgage in St. John’s.
As to why the city has not been able to attract private market rental housing builds, Shannie Duff said the issue boils down to economics.
“There are more incentives and more pay back in building condominium apartments, because you can get your money out and move on to your next project,” said Duff, who serves on the mayor's advisory committee on affordable housing.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...rental-units/1

I didn't realize it's been almost 30 years since privately owned rental units were built... that's crazy! I think building these four storey units here and there is not going to cut it. There is a huge demand here and larger buildings are a must (not to mention this will add much needed density). Hopefully all levels of government and the private sector can work together to fix this issue.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 2:30 PM

Convention Center

I just confirmed that the pedway will go to the Delta, with a support located on the corner of Waldegrave and New Gower and turning to connect with the hotel.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I just confirmed that the pedway will go to the Delta, with a support located on the corner of Waldegrave and New Gower and turning to connect with the hotel.
The dream is dead... LOL! Oh well, I'm sure there will be another proposal for me to get excited about... hopefully sooner than later!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:44 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
The dream is dead... LOL! Oh well, I'm sure there will be another proposal for me to get excited about... hopefully sooner than later!
Its certainly going to be an exciting summer for St. John's. I know of one or two unannounced developments that are coming. Nothing right on the waterfront, but at least one is a much needed redevelopment. Its a good time to be in the city. I can hardly wait to see what the next year or two brings.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:24 PM

http://http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/04/19/nl-downtown-hotel-meeting-419.html[/URL]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Its certainly going to be an exciting summer for St. John's. I know of one or two unannounced developments that are coming. Nothing right on the waterfront, but at least one is a much needed redevelopment. Its a good time to be in the city. I can hardly wait to see what the next year or two brings.
You're holding out on much wanted information, please explain yourself

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Neighbours cool to revamped hotel plans

A developer has changed plans for a new 12-storey hotel in downtown St. John's, although some people living nearby are not thrilled about what the new building will mean.

Manga Hotels has tweaked plans to put a Hilton hotel at New Gower and Springdale streets, near the existing Delta Hotel. The site is currently vacant land.

On Wednesday night, about two dozen people attended an informal information session at city hall to review plans for the hotel and learn what its construction may mean.

Peggy Bishop, who lives in a nearby apartment complex, told CBC News she is not keen on another hotel on her doorstep.

"I'm on the fifth floor and I've got a fantastic view of St. John's and I don't want to lose it," said Bishop, adding that the west end of New Gower Street will soon become dense with the addition of two new office towers.

"There's another office building just around the corner. That's going up, another 12-storey building. And then there's another hotel. I mean, how many do they need?"

Residents asked questions about increased traffic as well as whether there will be enough parking.

But Ron Fougere, the architect designing the building, said parking should not be a problem.

"There [are] no weddings occurring here, there's no large functions, there's no groups of cars," he said.

The extended-stay hotel will market its higher-end accommodation to business travellers.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...eting-419.html

So I guess the proposal isn't dead after all. No images of the new proposal are seen in the video along with the article (unless you guys can find something on the table during the video I missed). But the people interviewed in the video are the best example of what's wrong with some people who live downtown. NIMBY'ism, it's here to stay.

However, council only rejected this proposal because of design issues. If the design is sufficient enough, it could get approved, especially considering even Shannie said a hotel will end up on this lot eventually.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

So I guess the proposal isn't dead after all. No images of the new proposal are seen in the video along with the article (unless you guys can find something on the table during the video I missed). But the people interviewed in the video are the best example of what's wrong with some people who live downtown. NIMBY'ism, it's here to stay.

However, council only rejected this proposal because of design issues. If the design is sufficient enough, it could get approved, especially considering even Shannie said a hotel will end up on this lot eventually.
Yeah, I am quite sick of hearing people complain that their view is going to be impacted. If you don't want to deal with traffic, noise and have nice views, you don't live downtown. Plain and simple.

I hope further developments downtown aren't held up but a complaining handful of people.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Apr 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:19 PM

I completely agree .. these people are crazy! they are too use to living in a stagnant downtown that they dont really know what a downtown is,.. and many people loveee and pay lots of money for veiws of skylines and highrises. I really couldnt give any validity or seriousness to anything they were saying to be frank they sounded kind of like fools ... I think they should move around the bay or to an outport or somehting .. but then they want the services of DT at their doorstep so they basically want their cake and eat it too and do not understand how cities work in the least bit.

Also I dont think they changed the design of the building itself just yet, i think they were talking more about impact on views and sunlight, because they mentioned that the angle of the building will be different.

Well I hope it gets approved and the NIMBYs will get use to it and people who like an urban DT will move into the area and these people will just get use to it or move on to some place they like.

Quote:
The extended-stay hotel will market its higher-end accommodation to business travellers.
Higher end is cool

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...eting-419.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:04 PM

wow very crazy i agree!! one woman on the video said that she is sick of seeing cranes everywhere in DT. When at the moment there is only one, and it's the first in over 25 years. People can't expect to live in a Downtown , without it changing.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Yes please tell, i'm already dying with suspense

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyLawrenceDylan14 View Post
Yes please tell, i'm already dying with suspense
Me too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's