HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

World Product Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 2:24 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Just noticed the subway entrance in front. I like how it is separate from the building, but tied in stylistically.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:57 AM

this building kinda reminds me of a taller version of the Hearst Magazine Tower

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 12:28 AM

^^Êxactly my thoughts, i really like it, it's different
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 1:13 PM

Yikes. I like the building, but is it really that isolated away from the other high rises? I mean, this is Manhattan we're talking about. It looks out of place in the first shot. What else is planned with the area around this? Wasn't there some big proposals for these rail yards? (haha, enough with the questions!)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 9:07 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Yikes. I like the building, but is it really that isolated away from the other high rises? I mean, this is Manhattan we're talking about. It looks out of place in the first shot. What else is planned with the area around this? Wasn't there some big proposals for these rail yards? (haha, enough with the questions!)

This is just one of many towers that will rise in the coming years as part of the Far West Side redevelopment, the Rail Yards being one site.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 3:55 AM

On the building specs section of the website there seems to be an inconsistency in the building's shape. The left image shows an angled setback towards the roofline, whereas the right image with the sectioning details, which I assume to be the LHS image reversed, does not.

A further inconsistency as I see it is the smaller image showing this building's locational relationship to MSG/One Penn. Do I see a slanted roofline or not?

They also could've done less of a slapdash job integrating the decorative cross-bracing with the rest of the facade.

On the whole, while IMO the base screams NYC avant-gardism in a very, very good way, and the thing's size as a whole offers a great preview of the sheer scope of the other West Side projects to come given the promise of sustained economic viability; I would have preferred a slightly better treatment of both the massing and, as previously mentioned, the facade.

Last edited by JayPro; Sep 27, 2008 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 6:10 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

How the hell did I not see this one? Crap that's cool. I love it. By far the most attractive tower proposed for the West Side yet.

All of you whining that it's 23 feet short of some stupid and arbitrary status need to cool down.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
All of you whining that it's 23 feet short of some stupid and arbitrary status need to cool down.
Especially considering it will be sandwiched in between the Girasole (a thousand footer directly to the north) and the massive railyard development (to the south).

It will have to contend with similar giants...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 6:38 AM

Great building, let's hope construction begins sometime soon.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliendroid View Post
and did anyone notice that in that diagram madison square garden looks like a huge toilet.
LMAO!! You're right about that!

I don't have a problem with this tower, esp. with the fish net design. I like it. Seems kinda lonely though, but there'll be other towers joining it eventually.

As for eclipsing the Empire State Bldg. from the Jersey side.... just move a few blocks north or south. But if you're talking your view from your apt., well, uh........... shit!<shrug> (I tried)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 4:17 AM

Amazing, it will make a huge difference on the skyline.
Transportation. http://trinity-bay.myminicity.com/tra

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 12:55 AM

This seems to have flown over the heads of several people.

Quote:
NEW YORK, October 28, 2008 -- The world's first permanent international healthcare marketplace and education center will open in less than five years, the key players driving the project said today, as plans for the Midtown Manhattan tower have been finalized and marketing has begun. World Product Centre, as the project is known, has signed an agreement with Extell Development Company, a nationally acclaimed real estate developer, and formed a joint marketing company with GNYHA Ventures, a leading healthcare business services company owned by the Greater New York Hospital Association. The joint marketing company also announced that it has tapped John Strong, former president and chief executive officer of the $4.8 billion group purchasing organization, Consorta, Inc. as its top executive. "We are moving forward with this exciting endeavor," said Israel Green, president and visionary of World Product Centre.
Full article down below.

http://www.worldproductcentre.com/article.php?id=7

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 2:08 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Just the start of what will be an explosion of skyscrapers on Mahattan's Far West Side.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 7:20 AM
TL;DR

Why is the thread title not "World Product Centre"? It seems to be the official name for this proposal.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The world's first permanent international healthcare marketplace and education center will open in less than five years, the key players driving the project said today, as plans for the Midtown Manhattan tower have been finalized and marketing has begun.
We'll see. When the proposal first came out, Extell said they would wait for the completion of the station below.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 9:02 PM
low-riding

Half the site right now is a pit working on the new subway station below. same goes for the Girasol a block north. Stonehenge park was demolished and half the park is a pit now as well opening down to the amtrak north line. Once all the underground parts are done then they can start on tower foundations

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 9:12 PM
World Machine

From the sounds of it they want to fully tackle this station and line before they start any work on any of the towers. I for one look foward to this as it will be a canyon of supertalls, and towers that come pretty close. I like to picture it as a 6th Avenue only the towers will be a few hundred feet taller. Can't wait!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 9:53 PM
Everywhere all at once

It warms my heart to hear that work is progressing on the subway stations so fast, and even more so that they are so hopelessly bent on getting most of these projects done ASAP.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 3:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Half the site right now is a pit working on the new subway station below. same goes for the Girasol a block north.
There was an episode of "sandhogs" about a month ago that showed work at the Girasole site as they blasted underground.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 3:22 AM
New Yorker for life

This tower is to be the smallest of the so called "four corners" towers in the Hudson Yards redevelopment plan. Originally these towers were to be of unlimited size, but the city council was uncomfortable with that and put in limits.

A couple of clips from the original thread:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects