HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 6:15 PM

I've lived in and tolerated London for the past 20 months but Windsor will always be my true home...I'd like to move back there soon.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 8:46 PM

^tolerated? ouch

is london really that bad?

when i was living in windsor i would frequently make trips up to london to hang out, and i thought that was a pretty enviable place.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2006, 4:57 AM

London is a nice place to live - it has a bad traffic problem and is rather sprawly but other than that, it's good.

I miss a lot of things about Windsor - the big blue river, driving along Riverside Drive, the proximity to Comerica Park, the funky little neighbourhoods, etc.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 12:40 AM
Londoner

Condo number multiplies

Tue, April 18, 2006

Developers hope to expand a fiercely contested highrise in north London.

By JOE BELANGER, FREE PRESS CITY HALL REPORTER

Some north Londoners are reeling over a developer's plan to more than double the size of a proposed condo complex.

The Ontario Municipal Board in August approved a 64-unit, 12-storey luxury condominium building.

But Tricar Group has now applied to build a $25-million, 12-storey, 155-unit building north of Masonville Place.

The new plan for the controversial project comes after the company bought an adjoining parcel of land.

"It's extremely unfair to the community and the neighbours," George Aiello, of the Chancery Place Residents Association, said yesterday.

Kelly Mancari, who lives directly across from the site, said he's "shocked."

"I'm dumbfounded," Mancari said. "We were told by the OMB there wouldn't be a domino effect, but here it is."

In January 2005, city staff supported Tricar's original bid for a highrise on the property, which was then zoned for medium-density development.

But city council turned down the application.

That's because the proposal violated a community plan approved in the late 1990s and later upheld by the OMB that targeted the land for low-rise, medium-density development.

But Tricar successfully appealed to the OMB, which rejected residents' objections based on the previous community plan, traffic safety and fears more highrises would follow in a domino effect.

Tricar president Joe Carapella said yesterday heavy demand for the 64 luxury units in the area led to the change.

"I'm hoping council will vote in support of this since there was such an overwhelming support at the OMB last time," Carapella said.

He said more than 100 potential buyers expressed interest in the original building.

Carapella said he isn't surprised by the reaction of nearby residents.

"But I think the plan will benefit the people across the street because it will be set back another 65 feet (from Richmond Street)," he said.

Carapella said he hopes to break ground as soon as possible and reaffirmed a commitment to protect as many trees on the site as possible.

Coun. Roger Caranci, who chairs council's planning committee, agreed council will be hard-pressed to reject the plan, which may be on Monday's agenda.

"The OMB was so strong in their opinion, I can't see why council wouldn't approve it," Caranci said.

"It's a good area for that type of development."

Caranci, along with then-planning chair Coun. Cheryl Miller and Controller Bud Polhill, sparked controversy soon after council rejected the proposal in a 10-9 vote.

The three planning committee members, who supported Tricar, tried to prevent legal staff from representing the city at the OMB appeal, a move overturned by council.

Gloria McGinn-McTeer, president of the Stoneybrook Heights/Uplands Residents Association, was also disappointed.

"It's exactly what the neighbourhood feared would happen," McGinn-McTeer said.

"We'll have to review the proposal and make an assessment of what to do, but the community can't be at the OMB all the time.

"It's expensive."

Aiello said he's not sure if residents are in the mood for a fight.

"I think people are burned out and to mount another opposition is going to be difficult," he said.

"I think people will see that the writing's on the wall and the developer is going to win -- that it's hopeless."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2006, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

There's something in the works for the area across the street (King St.) from the John Labatt's Centre. BTW, it's huge.

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 20, 2006, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
There's something in the works for the area across the street (King St.) from the John Labatt's Centre. BTW, it's huge.
A brand new, state of the art Rideout Tavern!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2006, 7:05 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

^ yeah right.

Residential, heights still being worked out.

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 29, 2006, 1:54 PM
Londoner

Fresh cash to alleviate wait times

More good news for london hospitals!

London's $13-million share is part of a $222-million provincial package.

By JOHN MINER, FREE PRESS HEALTH REPORTER AND NEWS SERVICES

London hospitals are being given more than $13 million by the province to cut wait times for cancer surgery, cardiac procedures, hip and knee replacements, cataract operations and MRI and CT scans.

"It is all new, fresh money," London-Fanshawe MPP Khalil Ramal said yesterday, adding it will ensure patients receive the care they need and receive it more quickly.

The additional money, part of a $222-million package for the province, was announced as the government released the latest wait-time statistics that showed improvement in key areas.

In London, the money will pay for 5,278 added procedures, including 465 cancer surgeries, 722 cardiac procedures, 650 cataract surgeries, 321 hip and knee replacements and 3,120 MRI exams.

London Health Sciences Centre receives the bulk of the money, $12.7 million, while St. Joseph's Health Care is getting $848,000.

Health Minister George Smitherman says the province has already made great strides in reducing wait times for the procedures, which had all been increasing a year ago.

Ontario's wait times for cancer surgery and cardiac procedures -- the two biggest lifesavers -- are now within national guidelines, he said.

Dr. Alan Hudson, head of Ontario's Wait-Time Strategy, said yesterday the province should celebrate the gains made in cutting key waits.

"The two big killers, cancer and cardiac, already are within the targets set by . . . Smitherman last December. That's a fact," said Hudson.

"The others are all heading towards the targets, heading in the right direction. When we started this, the wait times were all going up."

Data specific to London covering December 2005 to January 2006 indicated the wait for total hip replacement operations was an average of 148 days, down from 252 days in August and September 2005.

Knee replacement waits averaged 228 days, down from 273 days last summer.

WAIT-TIME FUNDING

Here's what area hospitals will receive from a $222-million provincial package announced yesterday:

- London Health Sciences Centre $12.7 million

- St. Joseph's Health Care London $848,000

- Owen Sound $3.6 million

- Stratford General $862,583

- Woodstock $683,500

- Strathroy Middlesex $153,000

- St. Thomas Elgin $126,877

- Clinton Public $112,000

- Alexandra (Ingersoll) $105,000

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 5:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London=Sprawlsville. I am getting pissed off at the so-called leaders of London. The peripheries are booming with big-Box asswipe retailiers, thereby sucking commerce out of the core and inner suburbs. New residential construction springs up next to the big-box retailers (check out areas around Hyde Park/Fanshawe, or Wonderland/Southdale, for evidence). Schools close in the inner suburbs, but multiply on the periphery. Total donut effect. Downtown London is turning into a larger version of the Galleria.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 6:24 PM

^When I first moved here, the Wonderland/Southdale intersection was more or less farm fields. Now, it's full of big box crap. The same thing is happening in the north end.

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 8:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^exactly, I've been here less than one year, and it has changed enormously at either end.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 8:35 PM

The death of Wally World was too sad....

However, it is fun driving past the both the new Canadian Tire and then the abandoned Canadian Tire!

I remember reading ini the London Free Press last year that London has way too much excess retail viz-a-viz its population (and demand). At some point, something has to give and think it won't be the fringes....

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 10:34 PM

Yeah, although the abandoned Canadian Tire in the south end has since turned into a storage facility. Canadian Tire recently abandoned their store near Masonville Mall as well in favour of a massive box on Hyde Park Road.

Old Posted May 3, 2006, 8:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^could this be the first signs of Masonville mall going the way of Westmount mall??

Old Posted May 6, 2006, 9:27 PM
Londoner

News Release

New industrial park adds hundreds of acres to London’s industrial land inventory
More than 110 acres of prime serviced industrial land became available in London, Ontario today with the official opening of Innovation Park.

Located on Airport Road South, the park offers competitively priced land with convenient access to Hwy 401 and the London International Airport.

“It’s great to celebrate the launch of another piece of our Land Strategy designed to bring new industry to our community,” says Mayor Anne Marie DeCicco. “We’ve had such phenomenal success in attracting new investment over the past five years and we’re confident Innovation Park will be a key component of the next phase of development.”

The Park has already secured its first sale. CT Innovations is a high tech automotive parts manufacturing company that offers advanced tubular steel forming solutions for Tier 1 and Tier 2 automotive companies. Construction of the company’s 25,000 sq ft building is expected to start in July.

“Innovation Park will have a positive impact on London’s ability to attract new investment,” says John Kime, President and CEO, London Economic Development Corporation, “Having a park of this caliber in terms of its location, the design requirements and its phased growth potential is something our community can be very proud of. The City is to be commended for its foresight and commitment to growing London’s economy with this kind of investment.”

Phase One of Innovation Park represents an initial investment of $6,761,000 by the City of London and a $3,385,000 investment by the Province of Ontario through the SuperBuild Fund.

“We are on the side of Ontario’s businesses and entrepreneurs who help our province prosper,” said Khalil Ramal, MPP for London-Fanshawe. “Through investments in local infrastructure, we’re working to ensure our communities provide the best opportunities for residents and businesses alike.”

Phase One of the Park provides immediate access to 110 acres of serviced land. Subsequent phases will provide an additional 460 acres starting in 2007. The lots are being sold for a price of $65,000 per acre with a 5% premium for lots with Airport Road frontage. All parcels are zoned Light Industrial.

Launched in 2001, the City’s Industrial Land Development strategy has witnessed significant success with Forest City Industrial Park exceeding sale and growth expectations within the first three years.

Old Posted May 8, 2006, 4:19 PM
Londoner

Cool new pics

Here's a couple pics that I took at gibbins park today.

P.S soon I will post update on new construction from the city!

Old Posted May 8, 2006, 4:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^sorry but that is not Gibbon's park!

Old Posted May 8, 2006, 5:02 PM

Greenway Park maybe?

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 4:25 AM
Londoner

London Housing Market Still Hot

London's red hot housing market continues to burn brightly.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation reports overall housing starts were up in London by 30 percent in April compared to one year ago..

The biggest jump is in multi-family homes, which are up 47 percent over last year.

Single family home starts are 21 percent higher than a year ago.

CMHC says the resale market has been tight for nearly 5 years, and that home prices, both new and resale, are still going up steadily.

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 4:57 AM
Londoner

Update Proudfoot lane

Update
2nd building from Proudfoot lane (13 floors)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates