HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 7:09 PM
BANNED

I'm really starting to hate this project and the dumb asses who are going to build it .

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 7:18 PM

I wonder what they are still hammering out for the above ground structures?
Maybe they will decide to move foward with their new headquarters too at that site.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I wonder what they are still hammering out for the above ground structures?
Maybe they will decide to move foward with their new headquarters too at that site.
That's a good question Cottonwood... I hope they're going through with moving the headquarters there. it'd somewhat hide those ugly spirals.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 10:34 PM

Facebook updates indicating demolition is to begin in early January. (blip below referring to the mural for the Christmas season on the side of the old warehouse on 9th)
2012 is shaping up to be a good year for construction in downtown Boise.

http://www.facebook.com/jumpboise

Check out the artwork of high school artist Aiden Weltner and the United Way Junior Service Club's "Flash Mural", inviting the community to engage in volunteersm and community service. Hurry by before demolition begins in early January.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 8:30 AM

It's about time!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:19 PM

Here is another update of progress which is supposed to begin this month. It is time to rid ourselves of Compton. The other set of buildings where the Emerald was and that attorney's office have not been mentioned yet for demolition. Is that attorney still fussing about his little corner office with the fake facade?

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Boise-Fire-...137068393.html
Boise Fire Department training downtown for two weeks

KTVB.COM
Posted on January 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM

BOISE -- Don't be alarmed if you see the Boise Fire Departments searching a smoke-filled building at the corner of 9th and Front streets during the next two weeks.

Firefighters will be using the old Compton Warehouse building on the future site of Jack's Urban Meeting Place of JUMP, to practice skills and techniques used in fighting fires.

Boise Fire Captain Walker says the Warehouse building is an ideal and unique location, where firefighters can break through cinderblock walls, practice entrapment rescue operations

Demolition of the building is expected for sometime in January.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:34 PM

Another update for JUMP from their facebook page. I noticed this on the large billboard at the corner of 9th and Front.

http://www.facebook.com/jumpboise#!/...type=1&theater

And another super secret update from the IBR...come on Boise Weekly, supply us with the same public news so that we do not encounter a lock on the article

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2012/...owntown-boise/

JUMP starting in downtown Boise

by Brad Carlson
Published: January 19,2012
Time posted: 9:55 am

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 1:59 AM

There has been a ton of presence from the fire department on the JUMP site recently. I was hoping that they were planning a controlled burn of the buildings that need to be demolished, but after asking the crew there, alas, it is not the case. They're just prepping for the traditional wrecking crew to take care of the task.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 8:05 PM

Fencing has gone up around the perimiter of the blocks this project will be built upon.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Fencing has gone up around the perimiter of the blocks this project will be built upon.
Saw that today!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
AWESOME!!!!

I can't wait to see this project go up. Yes the design is wacky (In my opinion in a good way), but it adds some direly needed character to our skyline, and I'm in love with how unique and ambitious in scale the project is (particularly the future phases). It's not like any building I've seen anywhere, nor do I think there are very many places this building would work. And that makes it an icon of Boise that will make our downtown skyline unique.

The only thing I still feel a bit iffy on is that I get this sense like this project still doesn't know what it wants to be yet. It's tough to say off the top of my head what exactly the purpose is... it just sort of feels vague and all over the place. But, I'm definitely going to give it a chance because when I really closely studied the building in the renderings, I then realized how many cool things and areas this development is going to have.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 11:52 PM

I'm going to be glad to see a project going up and curious/worried to see it start coming out of the ground. LOL

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 9:06 AM

it's going to be one of a kind for Boise. I admit i was a little skeptical at first but your right BA Boise does need something like this. maybe that area will turn into something like what you see near the Seattle space needle with those wacky buildings, and expand the downtown further south. I have a feeling though that the 15 story building, or was it like 12 stories? I don't remember...But anyways, i have a feeling that it'll be 10 or 15 years down the road before that gets built or that it'll be scrapped altogether. Who knows.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 2:55 PM
not a cynic

Saturday AM, construction fence is now surrounding the JUMP site. I know, not much of an update.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 7:09 PM

I thought this was an interesting article about the mature tree and shrub donations for Kathryn Albertson Park. I think this tactic should be employed at Simplot's JUMP project to give it a more established feel, rather than having to wait 20 years while the landscaping matures, as has been a concern voiced on this forum before.

Quote:
Margaret Lauterbach: The landscape architect behind one of Boise’s most beautiful parks
Margaret Lauterbach - Idaho Statesman
Published: 01/20/12

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

If you moved to Boise after October 1989, you may not know about the near-magical transformation of a horse pasture into our most beautiful park.

This lovely park, complete with mature shrubs, large trees and a wetland nature preserve, didn’t happen overnight, but it seemed like it did. It was started in 1988 and opened in 1989, a peaceful sanctuary for humans and wildlife.

That is Kathryn Albertson park, the 41-acre evergreen-jeweled haven in the chain of parks along the Boise River, a four-season resort of quiet beauty. Donated land, a remarkable man and a caring community created this peaceful nature preserve near the city’s center.

It remained undeveloped until 1988, so Albertson hired his friend Hansgeorg Borbonus, a landscape architect educated in Germany and owner of Cloverdale Nursery, to develop the park. By then Borbonus had lived in Boise for more than 20 years, so he knew the soil, climate and growing conditions here.

He conferred with the Boise parks director who said the city didn’t need another park like Municipal, Julia Davis or Ann Morrison, so he designed the new park to be a refuge for walkers and wildlife. No cars allowed.

His preliminary design included placement of trees and shrubs but not the types of trees or shrubs. Albertson loved the design.

Borbonus publicly requested donations of shrubs and trees, and received thousands of offers from Boiseans. Some trees were too large, and the offer not taken. Borbonus and his crew could judge by the caliper (trunk diameter) of trees the size of the vital root spread. If the species and size were acceptable, folks were asked to take photos and send them in. Borbonus then relied on his education, experience and artistic taste to choose shrubs and trees for placement in the best locations and combinations.

He sent out crews to dig holes in the prospective park (using earth-moving equipment to cope with the concrete fill), and a giant clamshell digger borrowed from a friend in Portland (operated by the Portland fellow who was expert at operating it) to dig out and haul trees.

Donors received receipts so they could deduct donations on their tax returns. After the park was completed, they found they could “visit” their donated tree, perhaps planted when a child was born but not planted in an appropriate location for mature growth.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 5:43 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
I thought this was an interesting article about the mature tree and shrub donations for Kathryn Albertson Park. I think this tactic should be employed at Simplot's JUMP project to give it a more established feel, rather than having to wait 20 years while the landscaping matures, as has been a concern voiced on this forum before.
Cool link. This would make a world of difference. Take a look at the Grove Plaza, those honey locusts are still barely adequate for the nature of the site nearly 20 years after being planted.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:34 PM

Forgive me. I've read back a few pages, and skimmed the first page, but I'm not sure what this is... My best guess is that it's a kind of event center or small convention center. Is that close?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Forgive me. I've read back a few pages, and skimmed the first page, but I'm not sure what this is... My best guess is that it's a kind of event center or small convention center. Is that close?
I think I would classify it as an event center.

Taken from the first page:

Some details aren't final, but the Simplots are planning space for:

•A 4-acre park.

• An amphitheater for live events that will have dinner seating for more than 500 and theater-style seating for nearly 1,200.

• A sculpture garden will display a collection of antique tractors and other items, in keeping with J.R. Simplot's idea for an agriculture museum.

• Studio space for professional and amateur artists.

• A variety of outdoor and indoor venues for all types of gatherings, including classes, dinners and weddings.

• The building also may house the headquarters of the J.R Simplot Co., but those details still are being worked out for future phases.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:42 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

peace.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Jan 24, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:33 AM

^^I was just coming back to comment on the trees. Those happened to be nice pre-construction shots as well. I was gonna say, I hope they don't keep any of the funeral home bushes that are currently there. There are a few salvageable trees, but most likely not in the right spots, like you said. I'm getting excited for construction, this is going to be fascinating to watch unfold.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West