HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 10:24 AM
Honored Member

Lightbulb Snake River Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFtowner
Good news!

I've noticed that the crane for the Hilton is up. It's a lot taller than I thought it would be.

What's the building south of Pancheri that's two stories so far? Is it only two stories, or...what?
It's Building "R" of Ball Ventures new official/commerical and potentially residential development, Snake River Landing. I don't know that anyone has said how many stories the first building is suppose to be. I thought 3-4. How about you keeping us updated, IFTowner, to what progress you see?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F.
Depending on timing, the Hilton is being built on Lindsay Blvd. replacing a previous hotel. But, not far away, when the Marrott Residence Inn starts, there may be cranes on both sides of Broadway for new hotels.
Two standing tower cranes? That would be impressive and exciting to see for Idaho Falls. Please post some pics if you can.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 5:02 AM
Honored Member

Question I'm Confused,eastidaho

Also posted on Biggest Idaho Projects for 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
Unfortunately we may be looking at the temple and Red Lion as our tallest for the foreseeable future.

I would leave out any project that site work has not started on.

eastidaho:

I always wonder why Anheuser-Busch is omitted from any thread I've read in this forum. Granted, it was completed before 2006, so its economic impact, let alone expansion of the physical plant aren't considerations for this thread (on the Biggest Idaho Projects for 2006). However, given the comment you raised there (Biggest Idaho Projects for 2006), I'm posting my response here so the discussion may continue here.

I've also posted the core information in this post in the Top Idaho Projects for 2006 thread. Back to the questions for eastidaho:

Do you know the height of Anheuser-Busch and Group Modelo, Inc (the Mexican company that makes Corona beer, that also built a malt barley plant in Idaho Falls , , ) buildings, compared to the temple and Red Lion? And while I don't know the height of EIRMC's six stories, do you? I do believe it is easy to not remember them as easily as all the buldings downtown.

Additionally, I don't understand what you mean about "the temple and Red Lion being the tallest for the foesseable future." Do you not believe the Marriott Residence Inn and potentially new INL projects (incluing the proposed $17 Milllion dollar building that may be taller than the Read Lion Inn), and other projects are no longer going to be built? They won't make the list for 2006, but do you have information that these projects will not be built now? I don't understand your comment and would appreciate a more detailed answer either here or on the I.F. Project format. Thanks.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Dec 8, 2006 at 11:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 1:50 AM

N2I.F.

I am sorry you didn't like my answers to the questions you posed me. Maybe you shouldn't ask me questions.

Quote:
Have you checked the city boundaries lately? You might want to review some of the terms of Group Modelo locating a plant in IDAHO FALLS. Look at a map. It is screwy, I'll grant you that. But, why were railroad tracks, an intersection and city roads created for this group? And who paid for that?
Relax, I know and understand the reasons of why Idaho Falls boundaries snake south and swallow an industrial development. I also understand this could be happening again with the Pearl House if Ammon doesn't get their stuff together.

Quote:
How many stories do you think a new building would be, if they consolidated 1,600 employees into one building?
I would love to see the INL build a high-rise office building somewhere off of Broadway by the river. But due to likelihood and relevance, I guess I don't understand what your looking for, to give you a specific enough answer.

Your enthusiasm for the economic development of our area is great, and people will enjoy talking about it with you. If I can, I will try and forward the talk. However, I believe you knew the context of my statements, and it seems you want to split hairs over technical issues like city boundaries, tallest structures in the county/city, and EIRMC's height relations to the Red Lion, by using condescending questions. If this is how it is, then maybe don't ask me.

Last edited by eastidaho; Dec 9, 2006 at 2:06 AM. Reason: Address question about DT vs. whole area

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 5:12 AM
Honored Member

Post Different Views

Quote:
N2I.F.

I am sorry you didn't like my answers to the questions you posed me. Maybe you shouldn't ask me questions.

Relax, I know and understand the reasons of why Idaho Falls boundaries snake south and swallow an industrial development. I also understand this could be happening again with the Pearl House if Ammon doesn't get their stuff together.

I would love to see the INL build a high-rise office building somewhere off of Broadway by the river. But due to likelihood and relevance, I guess I don't understand what your looking for, to give you a specific enough answer.

Your enthusiasm for the economic development of our area is great, and people will enjoy talking about it with you. If I can, I will try and forward the talk. However, I believe you knew the context of my statements, and it seems you want to split hairs over technical issues like city boundaries, tallest structures in the county/city, and EIRMC's height relations to the Red Lion, by using condescending questions. If this is how it is, then maybe don't ask me.

Thanks eastidaho for your thoughts. I won't comment about Ammon, except I am continually amazed for the population and businesses there that more organization in planning doesn't occur.

Probably we have different resources from whom we gather information. I can't agree with your statement, "However, I believe you knew the context of my statements," as I didn't. I just think it is odd that people don't mention buildings except those usually along the riverbank.

I did talk to a person from McNeil today. You and I may have gotten different information, so I'll try to confirm what I was told with someone else prior to posting it here.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 9:47 AM
Honored Member

Lightbulb A T.C. Update

Per Sunday's Post Register, the 13 story Marriott Residence Inn (part hotel-part condo) is being rethought. After two experts have been brought in to anayze retail potential (the last being Robert Gibb from MI), it is anticipated T.C. can support $51.7 million in sales annually by 2011.

Next on the list will be the new 70,000 sq. ft office/retail southwest of the roundabout.

Per other sources, I've been told the Bronze eagles, mountain lion etc. on the roundabout have changed some priorities. There is so much interest in that roundabout, people have come from so far to see them, that it seems like a better decision to build the building southwest of it now, and start other projects later.

And no one seems to quite know when the buyer on the property south of Wal-Mart and southwest of T.C. will start development. So T.C. wants this 70,000 ft. bldg built as soon as they can, not knowing what will go in southwest.

Consequently, the Marriott Residence Inn has been moved back a few months, although two sources have told me it will be open for Christmas 2008. Time will tell what the potential redesign may be if it will still remain one building or become two. Not sure about having a 13 story hotel, as most hotels skip the 13th floor

Last edited by N2I.F.; Dec 11, 2006 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 1:08 PM

N2I.F.
Glad to see all the interest and enthusiasm for the sculpture at Taylor Crossing. I must admit,after Smiling Bob's report on it my interest has really grown. I would like to see downtown Salt Lake City incorporate some beautiful bronze sculptures at some of those gigantic intersections. I think that they could form some sort of hybrid roundabout. Anyway, I would like to look in to that Taylor's Crossing sculpture further.
Also, why did eastidaho feel your questions were condescending? I would like to know the answers to your questions also. If eastidaho has inside information I would hope he would clarify what it is, or just say its an opinion. I don't know His response to your questions was very confusing.

Last edited by delts145; Dec 11, 2006 at 2:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 4:25 PM

I don't have any information that didn't come to light by N2I.F.'s post this morning. When I originally posted comments on Thursday morning, it was my understanding that the principals of T.C. were meeting Thursday and Friday to make major decisions about the 13-story Marriott. My understanding was that options being discussed were postponing the 13-story building and fitting in to later plans. Or construct a 6-story Marriott immediately and fit the seven stories of residential into later development. I didn't feel comfortable mentioning these things at the time and feel I deserved some latitude. Also, I didn't appreciate it when N2I.F. started implying and then concluded that I was misinforming everyone.

But hey N2I.F. delivered the goods and now we can all be

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 6:02 PM

T.C.'s riverwalk

In an effort to forward the talk instead of haggle over details I thought I would bring up the riverwalk in T.C., which hasn't been mentioned a lot on this board. IMO, I think it is hurting T.C. now and could derail T.C.'s original purpose of providing a vibrant urban environment in Idaho Falls. I also feel the fate of the riverwalk will alter buildings like the 13-story Marriott.

When T.C.'s original plans were layed out some time ago there were a lot of great entry and exit points in art and landscape design. But the focal point of the district was going to be the canal of water that is diverted from the Snake River and runs parallel with the river. The idea was that the south half of T.C. would be commercial/office heavy and the north half would be residential/retail heavy. But people would walk out of their offices or condos and meet in the middle of the development that would be lined with ground floor retail and upper floors consisting of residential. Bookstore, coffee shops, patio dining, clothing stores and pedestrian bridges that would serve a walking population. It was likened to San Antonio's riverwalk.

Here is my best effort in paint. The Blue is the completed part of T.C. and the Yellow is brownfield waiting for revitalization. By no means are the boundaries completely accurate. But check out the canal that cuts down the middle of T.C.

So T.C. buys the ground, lays out plans and tells the Army Corps. of Engineers of their plans to take this brownfield area and prepare it enviromentally for mixed use development. They get the O.K. and proceed to remove submerged cars, appliances, metal scraps, that were left rusting in the Snake River and the canal. They totally cleaned up the area making the greenbelt a pleasant experience rather than a visit to the local junkyard.

BTW, T.C. has a full-time landscape architect on staff and have spent mucho dinero on vegetation, pond stocked with fish, very quality stuff. Here is the kicker though. When T.C. started paving the riverwalk, the Army Corps. of Engineers steps in and gives them the cease and desist due to enviromental concerns. Side note: JMHO, but this is where the environmental mess in this country really irks me. How hard is it to see the right balance?

Here is some pics of how it sits currently.

You can see that the west portion was laid for two hundred yards and the east portion is left unimproved. Also you can tell the buildings intend to dump people onto this boardwalk. Side note: that old bridge in front of that building is going to be torn out, in fact the possibility for a vehicle to go over it has been removed. The new vehicle bridge is in the second pic.

This has really hurt and messed up T.C.'s plans. I believe this has some influence on the recent decision to hold off on the 13-story Marriott. Because presently there is no way to connect the Marriott to the rest of the development. It would be on an island up north with a lot of industrial/brownfield area inbetween. This next pic is where the development ends presently and the Marriott is being proposed a thousand yards north (just a guess on yardage).

That is a tough sell to potential condo owners. These people want amenities with no easy access to those amenities.

I understand that T.C. is trying to work out this issue, also as mentioned the success of the roundabout and commercial development in the south is to profitable to not jump on right now, but something needs to happen. Seeing the quality of development and the way T.C. cleaned up the banks of the Snake River I just can't understand what the problem is. Its like T.C. funded for free an environmental concern and then got the rug yanked from under them.

Last pic is how T.C. has been working on joining there development with the greenbelt and banks of the Snake River. Mind you this was a literal dump a few years ago.

I hope they can get this resolved and some engineers will pull their heads out of there arses. T.C. wouldn't do any environmental harm to the banks of the canal, nor pollute the water. If this ends up screwing up our proposed tallest or other condo projects, I will not be to happy. I could go on about this but.....sorry for the length. I feel Idaho Falls needs a break through on this very badly. I tried to be as clear as possible.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 8:19 PM
Honored Member

Cool Water was (and hopefully will be) a T.C. Theme

eastidaho's pics are very good, as always. And, they tell the story.

Water in canals and even streams was suppose to be a selling point, as I recall, for T.C. I agree with what eastidaho has written The amenities MUST be closer to the hotel.

I have confidence those hired for their respective jobs will make it all come together.

Now we'll see what happens on Thursday at the I.F. City Council to see if all of downtown I.F. can be part of the Snake River Urban Renewal Project. That would be awesome for so many buildings

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 9:17 PM

Eastidaho, Thanks for the great pics, and also the many clarifications. This T.C. project is really an attractive development. I agree with you on the enviromental issues. Often these bureaucrats in all forms cut their proverbial noses off to spite their face.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 8:41 PM

It looks like Taylor Crossing may soon be seeing some neighbors. I ran across site plans for the land just west of TC and north of Pancheri, it seems to have a strip mall, and two restaurant sites. Also it looks like Community Care will be breaking ground soon as well.

With the addition of the 70K sq ft building TC will be building shortly, land on the south end of the development(s) should be filling up very soon and TC will have no choice but to continue north towards Broadway. I for one cannot wait to see all the metal buildings go away, they detract from the true beauty of TC, but good things do indeed come to those who wait so I guess I'll have to be patient.

Also the sign for Ruby River is up next to Wendys, and while checking out their website, I noticed that Boise will be getting a Ruby River as well.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the info IFguy. Does anybody have the city's timeline on the Pancheri expansion? I understand they messed it up a few years ago, but I was curious to know if they have corrected course and put together some legitimate plans/timeline?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info IFguy. Does anybody have the city's timeline on the Pancheri expansion? I understand they messed it up a few years ago, but I was curious to know if they have corrected course and put together some legitimate plans/timeline?
Last I have heard is that the overpass was to be replaced in 07', as well as finishing the widening of the road where needed. Hopefully this project wont turn into a Sunnyside project. I think you know what I mean by that.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 9:50 PM

Thanks again.

I realize this is a pipedream, but I would love to see this building revitalized and converted to lofts. Peel away the metal structures and leave the brick building. A better angle would be from the south where you can see three stories of brick and windows. Also it would show how large the building is.(This is all I got.)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks again.

I realize this is a pipedream, but I would love to see this building revitalized and converted to lofts. Peel away the metal structures and leave the brick building. A better angle would be from the south where you can see three stories of brick and windows. Also it would show how large the building is.(This is all I got.)

I agree, I would love to see that whole stretch from Pancheri north to Cliff St. converted or redeveloped into some condos or lofts, with specialty shops on the bottom floors. I do remember hearing that TC had or was thinking of buying land over in the area, I believe it would be a perfect extension, possibly in the style of TC.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 9:26 PM

Good news for those of us who would like to see changes downtown, and most probably already heard, but downtown IF is now under the urban renewal district. Now it should be easier for the city to make the changes proposed earlier this year, and possibly (fingers crossed) we could see a developer come into downtown with a vision of something new and grand. Not that the historic buildings are bad but there are some buildings down there that downtown could do without. I wonder if it would be possible to tear down some of the worn down buildings? Of course the Rogers and the Bonneville have to stay, but look at US Bank building, they had to tear down an old building and I don't think anyone misses it.

And on a side note, if you would like to let me know which city you guys think Hoku will locate to, IF, Poky, or Jerome. I read that Hoku was looking at a site near the Poky airport, but I haven't heard anything else. My best guess is still Idaho Falls, I don't see a better fit.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 5:54 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up The Possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
Good news for those of us who would like to see changes downtown, and most probably already heard, but downtown IF is now under the urban renewal district. Now it should be easier for the city to make the changes proposed earlier this year, and possibly (fingers crossed) we could see a developer come into downtown with a vision of something new and grand. Not that the historic buildings are bad but there are some buildings down there that downtown could do without. I wonder if it would be possible to tear down some of the worn down buildings? Of course the Rogers and the Bonneville have to stay, but look at US Bank building, they had to tear down an old building and I don't think anyone misses it.

And on a side note, if you would like to let me know which city you guys think Hoku will locate to, IF, Poky, or Jerome. I read that Hoku was looking at a site near the Poky airport, but I haven't heard anything else. My best guess is still Idaho Falls, I don't see a better fit.

IFGuy,

How about asking your question differentlly? How about asking what strengths Idaho Falls has and how could Hoku possibly choose any other location? I can't personally see what Jerome offers to a company working with new scientific ideas. INL, spin-offs and the pool of scientists, engineers are already in place in Idaho Falls. It will be interesting to see the criteria Hoku makes their decision.

There are ABSOLUTELY some building downtown I'd like to see go. The Urban Renewal District status will hopefully encourage potential developers to enter the scene. Closing Memorial Dr. off to traffic, or other projects to enhance popular gatherings could be very promising So what would you focus on first? The east bank buildings that don't add to the Greenbelt or the area around the new Melaleuca Field, or other?

It would be great to hear ideas of some who have visited recently and see where they would start on the newly-designated area downtown. There are a lot of possibilities and it should be great to watch.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 5:47 AM
Honored Member

Question I.F. City Council

Does anyone have an article or clear information about what the boundaries are in newly designated Urban Renewal District for downtown Idaho Falls? What I saw wasn't too comprehensive.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 7:26 AM

Redeveloping Downtown Idaho Falls

Ok then, first let me clarify my questions.

Which city do you see Hoku Scientific locating their manufacturing facility to, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, or Jerome?

Which buildings in downtown IF should "go"?

In my opinion the area that needs the greatest focus right now would be from the Midget Market south to Capital. The area just doesn't have anything going for it and if something new were to be built I think it would be beneficial to the city.

By the way, did anyone else notice the 17th Street Carwash is no longer there? I don't know what's up but somethings going on that's for sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West