HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
Threads that have no replies after several months are deleted.

For clarification that I am thinking of the correct poster, are you the bus driver?
No, I am not "the bus driver".

Next time get your facts straight before you start making these absurd statements. That's the kind of behavior that'll get your butt whooped someday.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVandelay View Post
I recently read an article that more people are employed within the city limits of bellevue than the number of people that actually live there. I would think that would mean people outside of Bellevue are commuting here to work, which starts to sound more like a 'City' than a 'suburb'.
Woodinville, Tukwila, Renton, and Redmond also have more jobs than people living in them. That does not make them 'cities'.

Having a good balance of jobs and housing is ideal.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 9:00 PM
Never Dell

The jobs/residents ratio is partially based on happenstance regarding where city limits are located.

Bellevue's job base isn't terribly related to its municipal population. DT Bellevue is the #2 downtown for King County.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 9:51 PM
TEH KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHusky82 View Post
No, I am not "the bus driver".

Next time get your facts straight before you start making these absurd statements. That's the kind of behavior that'll get your butt whooped someday.
Sorry, I must have been thinking of another forumer with Seattle in their name.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77e View Post
Woodinville, Tukwila, Renton, and Redmond also have more jobs than people living in them. That does not make them 'cities'.

Having a good balance of jobs and housing is ideal.
if all these outside cities (suburbs) have more jobs than residents, then where are all the workers commuting in from? There isn't that much unincorporated king county residents.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 12:14 AM
Never Dell

Add up the pops of those places. They're a relatively small part of King County.

Also, King County serves as a job center for people in other counties. There's a major imbalance with Pierce.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Add up the pops of those places. They're a relatively small part of King County.

Also, King County serves as a job center for people in other counties. There's a major imbalance with Pierce.
hmmm, I wonder if the same goes for snohomish as well then???

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
if all these outside cities (suburbs) have more jobs than residents, then where are all the workers commuting in from? There isn't that much unincorporated king county residents.
Other suburbs - it is the hot new trend - all the jobs moved to the suburbs in the 1980's and 1990's and no one car pools or takes transit, because in the past everyone could plan on going into the downtown of the major city to work. Now they drive alone (and with Bin Laden) as they commute from their suburb to another suburb on overutilized roads that were never designed for such traffic

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 11:34 PM

So from what i gather from most of you, you view bellevue as more of a 'super suburb' than a city or edge city? According to city hall, Bellevue is the second largest employement center in King County.

In many large US cities, Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston for example there are multiple downtown cores, Seattle seems to have one core, and minor one that emerged around the U district, but that is about it. Perhaps there really is no second choice other than moving to one of the seattle suburbs for skyscrapers, and Bellevue just has the laws and infrastructure in place to allow them???

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 1:03 AM

Seems to me these calls for diversity represent some deep seated self-racism on thee part of white people. No one mentions that a lot of the people moving to Bellevue are russian - does that not add to cultural diversity - it is not all about being brown, yellow, rich or poor. I grew up in NYC and their are a lot of russians and eastern europeans living in area that were predominanntly black or hispanic, and I am glad to see some of that type of diversity as well. Remember their are parts of the country where not every white person is a WASP and Greeks, Italians, Polish, Irish, Scandanavians, etc. have as much to do with providing diversity as Asians, Blacks and Latinos

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 1:27 AM
Never Dell

Of course those groups are part of "diversity". Your uninformed guess about other people here is probably off base in most cases.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Of course those groups are part of "diversity". Your uninformed guess about other people here is probably off base in most cases.
Nope - I am sorry - but you are wrong - their is no quota system in any affirmative action or other government policy that says "foreign born caucasian" . Neither government, nor the majority of liberals ever speak to the presence of this group when speaking about diversity

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Nope - I am sorry - but you are wrong - their is no quota system in any affirmative action or other government policy that says "foreign born caucasian" . Neither government, nor the majority of liberals ever speak to the presence of this group when speaking about diversity - they just are not recognized as "adding diversity". The people here have mentioned asians, blacks and latinos

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:13 PM
Never Dell

Did I mention a government program or quota? Read before you post.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Did I mention a government program or quota? Read before you post.
I did read your post, I mention the government quota because it reflects the public attitude of what constitutes diversity.

Think beyond your own post for a minute. I was expounding on my own post more than I was replying to yours.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 9:08 PM
Never Dell

You said "you are wrong".

Tell me how I was wrong, based entirely on my posts. Put up or shut up.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 9:52 PM

Quote:
DT Bellevue is the #2 downtown for King County.
Yes, downtown Bellevue is the second downtown in King County in terms of a central business district with high-rise buildings.

Quote:
According to city hall, Bellevue is the second largest employement center in King County.
Downtown Bellevue is not the second largest employment center in the county according to a PSRC report on regional growth centers. (Keep in mind, I am talking about just the CBD employment, not all of Bellevue.)

After downtown Seattle, two other PSRC-defined urban centers had higher employment than downtown Bellevue in 2000: First Hill/Capitol Hill and the University District. [See table 18 in chapter 2.]

In addition, the Duwamish and Paine Field manufacturing/industrial centers had more employees in 2000. [See table 26 in chapter 3.]

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
You said "you are wrong".

Tell me how I was wrong, based entirely on my posts. Put up or shut up.

You said my opinion was "uninformed", I told you the facts that supported my opinion. you are the one making sweeping assumptions about me saying things about posters on this board. I was speaking to calls for diversity in general. in the big picture, beyond your small world of this forum. I was stating that you never hear diversity described on the basis of white europeans contributing tothat diversity and substantiated the same by pointing out the these groups, like Russians, are never accounted for in surveys that supposedly measure diversity.

I will not waste any more time responding to your pithy, vague interrogations. If you do not get my point after reading this, I will have to assume you are some form of mental midget

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 11:38 PM
Never Dell

You've repeatedly made specific accusations about other people that you don't know -- the very definition of uninformed. My statement is true.

I'll let readers decide who's the mental midget here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
You've repeatedly made specific accusations about other people that you don't know -- the very definition of uninformed. My statement is true.

I'll let readers decide who's the mental midget here.
OK - big guy - I am no match for your incredible brain power - I surrender to you - you win the big prize

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West