HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Should be based on traffic rather than proximity. Yes some areas of the ORR are not running directly through residential/commercial areas but that doesn't mean the traffic is low. I get that there are costs but this isn't some low-speed rural backroad that nobody is using...
Agree wholeheartedly.

I noticed on the telegram's bifurcation drone video that some sections of that will be lit, but not all. :/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:11 PM

The ORR section near Stavanger, and Pitts Memorial between New Gower and Kilbride are lit because they have a concrete median. Medians reduce the footprint of the highway, but because of the proximity of traffic to the median and oncoming traffic beyond it, standards require lighting for safety reasons. As I recall, the ORR section near Stavanger was the subject of controversy for residents of Eastbourne Crescent. In order to create a larger buffer zone between their rear yards and the highway, the government decided to reduce the footprint of the highway by eliminating the larger grass median and using a concrete median....thus requiring lights.
The Team Gushue will have a concrete median and be lit from Kenmount Road to it's current end at Topsail Road. It does provide for a much safer highway. I don't know why the government hasn't tried lighting sections of the TCH to deal with the moose issue. They've tried everything else. Other than the initial cost, the cost of electricity will be negligible with LEDs. As for the ORR, it is utterly ridiculous that such an urban highway is not lit.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 2:51 PM

Yeah it would cost some money to install but with LED's the cost of electricity for lighting the ORR would be fairly negligible. And what I don't get is with all the talk of "infrastructure spending" and weird red tape/bureaucracy that exists...we have a metro area highway that has no lighting in a province with bad weather. Auto accidents are one the biggest causes of injury/death for otherwise healthy people. The libertarian in me thinks if roads were privately owned there'd be lighting there or they'd be sued their pants off...

Anyway maybe someday it'll happen.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:56 PM

Thanks for the pictures included in this thread, they are great! From the pictures I've seen and the video that was posted by Keith Gosse on the Telegram site, it looks like there will be a way to turn off the TGH when coming from the Outer Ring Road at what looks like a new road between Old Pennywell Road and New Pennywell Road. It also looks as if that new road will run into the Pennywell Road/Columbus Drive intersection. Can anyone here confirm that? I live in Kenmount Terrace and work in the centre of the city and I'm hoping to be able to bypass Kenmount Road in the mornings! Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 View Post
Thanks for the pictures included in this thread, they are great! From the pictures I've seen and the video that was posted by Keith Gosse on the Telegram site, it looks like there will be a way to turn off the TGH when coming from the Outer Ring Road at what looks like a new road between Old Pennywell Road and New Pennywell Road. It also looks as if that new road will run into the Pennywell Road/Columbus Drive intersection. Can anyone here confirm that? I live in Kenmount Terrace and work in the centre of the city and I'm hoping to be able to bypass Kenmount Road in the mornings! Thanks!
Further to my original post, it looks like the new road will end near Hickey's Superette on Old Pennywell Road. Am I correct?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 View Post

Yes, the Pennywell Collector, which it's been referred to on government renderings, will serve as a means to link the centre city with the Team Gushue and the TCH. I heard sometime back that the city has already named this road Briar Avenue -in keeping with the curling theme I guess.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
the city has already named this road Briar Avenue
Well that'll be sure to please literally tens of people.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:44 PM

I was down at Canadian Tire on Hebron Way this past weekend and noticed they have extended Sea Rose Drive to continue up behind the Canadian Tire store. Anyone know what route it’s going to take. Would be cool if it linked up with RCAF roads at the airport hangers.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:53 AM

Haven't seen any mention of it going East. There's a plan to join the round-about to Major's Path.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I was down at Canadian Tire on Hebron Way this past weekend and noticed they have extended Sea Rose Drive to continue up behind the Canadian Tire store. Anyone know what route it’s going to take. Would be cool if it linked up with RCAF roads at the airport hangers.
Sea Rose Drive will continue in both directions. The city is looking to link it up with Major's Path. To do this, the city needs to acquire a small amount of land from the airport. Apparently, as soon as this is done, the work will commence. When it links to Major's Path, it will definitely need more traffic lights or another roundabout.

As for linking with RCAF Road, I once seen a master plan that showed this. Much of the land in the area is for sale and I would guess that the road will be extended as warranted. The RCAF Road/Torbay Road intersection was redesigned as a 4-way several years ago with corner islands and traffic light bases and infrastructure pre-installed. This intersection links RCAF Road to the future extension of Aberdeen Avenue. The same situation applies for Aberdeen as Sea Rose....it will proceed as the land it sold for development.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Sea Rose Drive will continue in both directions. The city is looking to link it up with Major's Path. To do this, the city needs to acquire a small amount of land from the airport. Apparently, as soon as this is done, the work will commence. When it links to Major's Path, it will definitely need more traffic lights or another roundabout.
When this occurs the entrance for Hussey Drive should be either severely limited (via better lighting control) to Topsail or it should be removed entirely or made one way (entrance). It's hilarious, to me, that that access is given as much priority on the topsail road/stavanger lights as topsail road and stav themselves.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:00 PM

Pic of inside the airport expansion:
https://twitter.com/Marcogroup/statu...50223296409606

Just discovered this twitter account is pretty great for seeing progress on some projects.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:23 PM

Thanks for the link. Many great photos there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Pic of inside the airport expansion:
https://twitter.com/Marcogroup/statu...50223296409606

Just discovered this twitter account is pretty great for seeing progress on some projects.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:05 PM

Looks good, but I really hoped they would get rid of that low ceiling along the wall. It makes everything feel closed in and cramped.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:

As for linking with RCAF Road, I once seen a master plan that showed this. Much of the land in the area is for sale and I would guess that the road will be extended as warranted. The RCAF Road/Torbay Road intersection was redesigned as a 4-way several years ago with corner islands and traffic light bases and infrastructure pre-installed. This intersection links RCAF Road to the future extension of Aberdeen Avenue. The same situation applies for Aberdeen as Sea Rose....it will proceed as the land it sold for development.
Is Hebron Way itself just going to be a dead end at the west?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:47 AM

Hebron Way is being extended to Major's Path.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 7:15 PM

I wonder what the timeline is for this? I think this will really open up Hebron way - its literally a dead end now.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I wonder what the timeline is for this? I think this will really open up Hebron way - its literally a dead end now.
The land to finish the connection needs to be bought from the airport, so it isn't as easy as just building it over the course of a few months. Once they have the land though it shouldn't take too long.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Hebron Way is being extended to Major's Path.
Both Hebron and Sea Rose are?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 1:13 AM

Government list of Road Work

Don't see Team Gushue mentioned here?

http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/Transport..._Plan_2018.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's