HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 4:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdave View Post
Here are some sites to help you out:

GTH:

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/global-hub/

Loblaws facility example:THis article is from the G&M about their Ajaz facility.

http://www.stockhouse.com/Bullboards...9&l=0&pd=2&r=0

Dave
Good stuff sask dave, as are these older messages that I didn't realize were here.

Not sure I agree with the previous speculation that this is a white elephant. There is some sense to having the different transportation modes converge.

However the supporters claims of some kind of revolutionary advantage also seems quite trumped up.

From those older maps, it's evident that China already has countless routes to get products to market without waiting for the Regina GTH...

I guess the spokesperson wanted a big sounding story with international flavor. It's too bad they couldn't have just said something realistic though.

As for Loblaws seeing improvements, let's hope so. The article certainly exposes one of the many ways they've shot themselves in the foot operationally. If the GTH can help them with just one portion of one key process, that might be the change in direction they need to start thinking about the many systemic problems.

But it also highlights that a hub isn't always the best way either. Many smart businesses go direct to market rather than have their products get damaged and aged in a hub system.

It's hard to know how much of the benefit is actually new, and how much of the GTH/Loblaws connection is just backfilling what they have or will be decommissioning in Saskatoon. It's like when any operation opens a new site and boasts creation of 20 new jobs, but neglects to mention the 19 other jobs they'll be terminating shortly after the new place opens.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:58 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Don't be surprised if we get a Wal-Mart Distribution center in the future. There are plenty of locations in Saskatchewan to warrant one.
Don't expect a Walmart distribution centre any time soon, as Walmart doesn't use a hub distribution system. They are credited for modernizing the distribution historical methods of retailers, with a JIT delivery system. It is far more efficient and cost effective.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Well this makes some sense then. I'm guessing Loblaws gets most of their food and other products from China, so it would land in Vancouver and then proceed through here on its way to the populous east. So it is sensible that it would pass through the GTH on the way. But what I'm still not clear is how the GTH helps them. If hundreds of rail cars are heading from Vancouver through to Toronto, what does the GTH do for them other than act as a rest stop?

Don't get me wrong, I assume there's some advantage since so much money is pouring into it, but I'm just trying to understand what that might be.
One of the main problems with Vancouver, Seattle, Long Beach etc, is that they are extremely built up and congested areas, The container has quite a process to get out of the city and cross several difficult mountain ranges. What the concept is now is that Prince Rupert has been developed into a major container port that cuts up to 2 days from the transit between the far east and North America. The containers are immediately put on the train to head for the NA interior. The mountains in Northern BC are not as rugged at the Southern Rockies which allows the train to run faster. I guess the concept is to have the containers distributed from Regina to the rest of the NA interior.
I hope this sheds some light on your questions.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:39 PM

So I was wondering , apparently Winnipeg is going to be constructing the "Centerport". Am I to assume that this is similar to the GTH being constructed here in Regina. If so is there a need for two inland ports within 5 hours of each other? Personally I think Winnipeg is better suited as it intersects two of Canada's major highways.

Or am I way off in my thinking and these are two entirely different oprerations?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
So I was wondering , apparently Winnipeg is going to be constructing the "Centerport". Am I to assume that this is similar to the GTH being constructed here in Regina. If so is there a need for two inland ports within 5 hours of each other? Personally I think Winnipeg is better suited as it intersects two of Canada's major highways.

Or am I way off in my thinking and these are two entirely different oprerations?
I'm not sure what Centreport's goals are...but Regina is situated along major highways as well, and also includes air and rail transport all within a baseball throw of each other (small exaggeration). This is apparently very rare, yet very beneficial.

Regina's already has tenants and is about to announce more. So there must be some advantage to being here.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
I'm not sure what Centreport's goals are...but Regina is situated along major highways as well, and also includes air and rail transport all within a baseball throw of each other (small exaggeration). This is apparently very rare, yet very beneficial.

Regina's already has tenants and is about to announce more. So there must be some advantage to being here.
I agree Regina is quite centralized and is also on major roadways. I was just wondering if what is proposed in Winnipeg is comparable to what is being built here. Is it apples and apples or are there two distinct and different purposes for them.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:52 PM
ILYR

Winnipeg, Regina and Edmonton are all looking to create an inland port.
For more info on centre port you can check out http://www.winnipeginlandport.ca/ if you haven't already.
Centre port is basically an expansion of an already existing transportation hub that exists in Winnipeg. But now they have set aside land and money to develop a 20,000 acre site next to the airport that will have a foreign trade zone designation.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the inland port stuff is all tied into eachother think about winnipeg is the link to the coridoor witch these others will be linked to through winnipeg witch will link their respective provinces its a win win for all of us

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:15 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the inland port stuff is all tied into eachother think about winnipeg is the link to the coridoor witch these others will be linked to through winnipeg witch will link their respective provinces its a win win for all of us
Witches!!! You mean they will have witches flying from one inland port to the other carrying cargo? I guess it is close to halloween.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 10:57 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
There are dozens of Loblaw's stores (i.e. Superstore, Extra Foods, Real Canadian Wholesale Club, and No Frills) in and around Saskatchewan so it brings distribution closer to a number of their locations. Don't be surprised if we get a Wal-Mart Distribution center in the future. There are plenty of locations in Saskatchewan to warrant one.
How big is the existing Loblaws Distribution centre in Saskatoon? I remember reading that Loblaws was going to shut down the Saskatoon facility by spring 2010 or so when the Regina facility opens, and lay the 300 staff there off. (edit - found the article here - although when the article was written, Loblaws hadn't yet decided on the location of the new Saskatchewan distribution centre )

The one in Saskatoon was a company (Loblaws) owned facility, the new Regina centre is actually owned and operated by a third party under contract I think - like Wal-mart does.

I wonder how the new Regina Loblaws distribution centre compares in size to the ones in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg?

I could see a Wal-Mart distribution centre for groceries open up in the same area in Regina too - as more Supercenters are rolled out. Wal-Mart is building their first grocery distribution center in Western Canada in Airdrie, AB right now - 400,000 sq.ft.

Last edited by craneSpotter; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 3:33 AM
Capitalist

Its a grocery store warehouse .. please.

A few hundred people earning $12/hr is really not worthy of note.. IMO it reminds me of back in the 90's when people would brag about call centre jobs ... please.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

A few hundred people earning $12/hr is really not worthy of note.. IMO it reminds me of back in the 90's when people would brag about call centre jobs ... please.
And now the call centre jobs are all going to places like Taiwan or Indonesia. Do we want the few hundred jobs earning $12/hr to leave as well?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 2:36 PM
#1 King Champ

Quote:

Hey whats that called when your boat has a little electric motor on the back so you can navigate the lakes slowly while fishing.

Oh ya.....trolling.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
And now the call centre jobs are all going to places like Taiwan or Indonesia. Do we want the few hundred jobs earning $12/hr to leave as well?
There will always be $12/hr paying jobs, but I certainly wouldn't want to latch the future hope of my economy on it. Regina could do much better, imo.

Last edited by newflyer; Oct 30, 2009 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 12:15 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterp View Post
Hey whats that called when your boat has a little electric motor on the back so you can navigate the lakes slowly while fishing.

Oh ya.....trolling.

Hey whats that called when your inflatable dingy spings a leak in the middle of the lake. Oh yeah .... pathetic.

Considering I am a former resident of Regina and a regular contributor I would hardly suggest I am trolling. Maybe you should take a little time before you make your unfounded claims.

Hope your electric motor boat works out for you.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 4:28 PM
#1 King Champ

Quote:
Hey whats that called when your inflatable dingy spings a leak in the middle of the lake. Oh yeah .... pathetic.

Considering I am a former resident of Regina and a regular contributor I would hardly suggest I am trolling. Maybe you should take a little time before you make your unfounded claims.

Hope your electric motor boat works out for you.

Just having some fun mister. You do have a lot of posts, golly gee. Must....respect......post....count.

If time permits this weekend I'm going to try and get out to the GTH to snap some photos.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 9:05 PM

Quote:
There will always be $12/hr paying jobs, but I certainly wouldn't want to latch the future hope of my economy on it. Regina could do much better, imo.
There are up to 1500 jobs involved once phase 2 is completed. They will not all be low paying. There will need to be supervisors, managers, HR people, trades people and technical personel that go along with any facility of this size. Plus there are many spin-off jobs especially in trucking, but also in the various services and local purchasing that that any facility of this scale must do.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 12:02 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterp View Post

Just having some fun mister. You do have a lot of posts, golly gee. Must....respect......post....count.

If time permits this weekend I'm going to try and get out to the GTH to snap some photos.
pictures would be great , i was out there a few months ago , it was looking massive

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:51 PM
Capitalist

I hope it is more than just pictures of a warehouse.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:58 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There are up to 1500 jobs involved once phase 2 is completed. They will not all be low paying. There will need to be supervisors, managers, HR people, trades people and technical personel that go along with any facility of this size. Plus there are many spin-off jobs especially in trucking, but also in the various services and local purchasing that that any facility of this scale must do.
What is phase 2 ? Has it started construction?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan