HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:49 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The elevator alone will cost ~$100k. Plus it will need HVAC, and a staircase (not to mention an elevator shaft and foundation).
The city could pay for it with syndicated mortgages. They know a couple experts. Heck, they might even give free advice as part of a community service sentence.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:29 PM

This things is the height of waste.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 11:47 PM

This idea just doesn’t ring true. Someone should have their bell rung.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:58 PM

As if things couldn't get worse in the Village, from the FP breaking news:

Broadcast warning of nuclear attack in Osborne Village unfounded
04/23/2018 8:02 AM

Police say they don't believe there's any legitimacy to a message warning Osborne Villagers of an imminent nuclear attack

Numerous residents called police around 9:20 p.m. on Sunday night saying they were hearing a loud message alerting them that Canada was under attack. A police spokesman said officers arrived on scene just as the broadcast was ending but they believe it to be "unfounded."

The spokesman said more consulting with investigators is needed before he can outline possible next steps in the investigation.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:23 PM

^ That made me laugh out loud when I heard it on the radio this morning.

Was Concerned Citizen Stan on the loose?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
This things is the height of waste.
Thinking about the amount of money they're contemplating pouring into that shitty tower...

Imagine what they could do for the same amount of money if they gave it to the artists who painted the New West Hotel or Vineyard Church or the parking lot next to the Red Road Lodge. (The long stretch of brown stucco at the Cornerstone cries out for it in particular).

Or if they used it to rent out one of the vacant storefronts for a year and put in a rotating set of retail pop ups.

Or if they used it to partially subsidize storefront revitalizations like they did on Graham St.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:17 PM

^Or actually hire a landscape/urban designer to plan and restore the Osborne streetscape instead of having someone who runs a shitty event business make design decisions far beyond their abilities.

There's absolutely no harmony between the red bike clipart bike racks, giant LED light boxes, dark concrete stools, classic wood benches, dark purple wayfinding bricks, existing black iron globe lighting. I assume whatever awful design she has in mind for the tower has no correlation with any work already done. It's time for Stephanie to go.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:57 PM

This lookout elevator business is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I still can't believe it's not satire.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:09 PM
BANNED

another empty space comping soon to OV, 194 Osborne (some shitty gold shop, good riddance). more spaces to fill..

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
This lookout elevator business is seriously the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I still can't believe it's not satire.
It's depressing that these are the ideas coming from the group that is supposed to understand the issues and look out for the area's interests. It would be like firefighters answering a call at your house but then attempting to connect the fire hose to your barbeque or something similarly head-scratching.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's depressing that these are the ideas coming from the group that is supposed to understand the issues and look out for the area's interests. It would be like firefighters answering a call at your house but then attempting to connect the fire hose to your barbeque or something similarly head-scratching.
That's the issue – it's not a group. The BIZ is one person, and I've heard from owners there that she/it's extremely dysfunctional and unorganized (maybe on purpose). The BIZ director runs an events company, which magically gets the contract to do Canada Day and any other events on Osborne. Must be a terrible company because aside from logistics about the only thing the street party gets is some snow fencing and a few Canada flags.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:58 PM

From the FP breaking news:

Osborne Village to receive funding for foot patrol
04/25/2018 10:52 AM

Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman will announce funding for a new foot patrol ambassador program for the Osborne Village neighbourhood Tuesday afternoon.

Osborne Village Biz had asked for funding from the city for a foot patrol over a year ago, but made budget cuts to fund the program themselves when the city didn't send any money.

This denial of funds seemed somewhat controversial, because, shortly after, the city supported foot patrols in the Downtown and West End Biz groups.

An influx of drugs and crime hit Osborne Village last summer, so the district's Biz group wants the foot patrol, heading into the summer months, to prevent similar problems.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:08 PM

The Osborne BIZ is such a useless gong show, but thank goodness we are finally getting foot patrols in any case.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:15 PM

So many people keep talking about this "influx of drugs and crime" in OV... is there any evidence of this? Really just seems like anecdotal whining. As someone who is in the village a lot, didn't really notice any difference. There's always been some homeless people and buskers in the Village – comes with the territory of a dense area. Haven't really notice any "drug issues" there more than anywhere else in the city (/country) right now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So many people keep talking about this "influx of drugs and crime" in OV... is there any evidence of this? Really just seems like anecdotal whining. As someone who is in the village a lot, didn't really notice any difference. There's always been some homeless people and buskers in the Village – comes with the territory of a dense area. Haven't really notice any "drug issues" there more than anywhere else in the city (/country) right now.
Dunno. I guess for me I'm just getting older and have less of a high tolerance for degenerate blocking the sidewalks, leaving garbage everywhere, riding their crackhead mountain bikes on the sidewalks, lighting fires under the bridge. More importantly, I don't just hang out in Osborne Village, but actually live there every day. And so does my partner, who feels less and less safe in her own neighbourhood lately.

And yes, maybe the 'outbreak' or whatever in Osborne Village is just a manifestation of the continued geographic diffusion of Winnipeg's street people, and the nation-wide opioid craze. Whatever its root cause, it's something I shouldn't have to tolerate in my neighbourhood (and neither should you, in whatever neighbourhood you live in), so I'm glad some kind of action is being taken.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:14 PM

Isn't that what OV has been for decades? Drugs and parties?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
and the nation-wide opioid craze.
It's methamphetamine now. It's widespread and cheap and most "street" people are doing it. In fact it's almost an epidemic, especially amongst the homeless and the poor. One of the reasons you see beggars at every corner now. I wish the city would enforce its own bylaws. Looks terrible to tourists/visitors.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:17 PM

I remember when they first introduced (or started reinforcing) the panhandline policies 10-15 years ago it made an immediate impact and reduction on aggressive pandhandling. Maybe it's time to do the same again.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 8:38 PM

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:06 PM

Looks like that new building on Roslyn just off Osborne is coming along nicely... what's it called, Dennistoun House? Or was that the old building that was there? Either way it's several storeys off the ground now.

With all the development going on in Osborne Village these days it's a little sad that none of it is actually on Osborne. All these new MURBs in the area while Osborne itself just looks more stale and forlorn with every passing year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan