HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:23 PM
Formerly rypinion

Would rather have that than a pretend (or actual) freeway.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:26 PM

As far as we know the Kenaston widening is still happening. So it's going to be like Pembina, a fast fake highway/freeway with numerous driveways and lights its entire length.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:37 PM

I give it a giant 'meh'. It's maybe one step above the worst 1970s/80s type design.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 8:35 PM

Without significant improvements to Kenaston, this proposal will do nothing but add more problems (traffic-wise; I'm not diving into the social problems) to Winnipeg's traffic patterns.

Realisitically, will we be seeing the shovels in the ground in another 10 years ? ...I just can't take this city seriously anymore.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I give it a giant 'meh'. It's maybe one step above the worst 1970s/80s type design.
I'll second that. Unless there are 3D conceptual drawings that show it in a better light, these plans are quite underwhelming.

Likewise, I hope there aren't that many accesses to Kenaston, unless we accept the entirety of Kenaston be downgraded to a Pembina caliber roadway

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 9:03 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Realistically, will we be seeing the shovels in the ground in another 10 years ? ...I just can't take this city seriously anymore.
Are you trying generalizing?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 9:11 PM

@WabKinew
Nov 2
Chief Dennis Meeches unveils draft plans for urban reserve at Kapyong Barracks at #ACCgala2018. This is what they will use to carry out consultations & will be changes based on feedback

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:58 AM
BANNED

One day people will look back on urban reserves and rethink the whole notion of tax free zones based on ethnicity and who was here first and come to the conclusion that just maybe this wasn't the best way to go!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:58 AM
surely you agree with me

Oof. I sure hope it becomes more street oriented. It looks right now to be big box style residential and commercial buildings sitting in oceans of parking like the ikea area. Segregated uses in zones that make it unwalkable. Hoping for a forward looking suburban infill.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 1:23 PM

interesting to see what that sport facility will be. that area really needs a twin hockey rink like 7 Oaks or gateway.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:27 PM

I thought it was interesting that there is an educational zone in the development.

For most K-12 schools there are public schools which essentially aren't happening there (area is already built out), private and indigenous schools. Private schools you can basically do wherever you what if you have the deep pockets. The indigenous schools are normally on treaty land and for treaty residents. It would be interesting to see how this all plays out as it seems the plan is for a early years, a middle years and a senior years school.

Also the high volume of multifamily residential could significantly change the character of that neighbourhood due to the large influx of new residents. Also Tuxedo has typically been a lot of larger, single family homes with it having one of the highest average household incomes in the province. It seems doubtful that same demographic would be taking up residence in the new multifamily development.

The other piece I thought was odd as the site seems to be split between Canada Lands (federal government) development and areas outside of that. There didn't seem to be much information shared publicly on what that means.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:02 PM

^ There is a fair bit of multifamily residential straddling Kenaston (including some apartments just west of the Kapyong site) so adding more shouldn't fundamentally alter the area's character.

What's sad is that Calgary's base redevelopment from the late 90s/early 00s looks more forward thinking than what has been unveiled for Kapyong... this plan looks straight out of 1992.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:36 PM

Man that is some incredibly sad waste of space in what is one of the most well-connected and serviced, livable areas of the city.

Despite the intentions of the city to eventually expand Kennaston to 3 lanes each way, I am hoping the city never gets its act together on the project. Adding more capacity to Kennaston will only further encourage more brigewater-and-beyond exurban development, at the expense of residents and businesses in the Tuxedo/River Heights areas.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:45 PM

Yikes...thats a lousy design and will make Kenaston brutal to drive down with lights every 20 feet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:51 PM
keep the good times going

I wish they'd held a design competition or something to encourage more forward thinking ideas. This is disappointing...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 6:56 PM

IT was doomed to fail once the urban reserve was involved they will develop it into a suburban wasteland, all they care about is how many gas bars they can squeeze into the site.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:30 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Yikes...thats a lousy design and will make Kenaston brutal to drive down with lights every 20 feet.
that's the only good part....

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Are those accesses all along Kenaston?! And two hotels and two gas bars at Kenaston & Taylor?

I had hope that this would not just be another hacked-in job with tons of parking lots and numerous driveways on a road that shouldn't have them... clearly status quo is the aim here. Unfortunate.
Those gas bars will compliment the superstore gas bar just to the north in Winnipeg's up-and-coming Gas Bar District.

I can only assume the "Treaty 1 Crossing" is an underground pedestrian circus that allows the hotel guests to make the otherwise inconceivable journey across the street to the conference centre, and/or the gas bar. With so many attractive gas bar desinations nearby they should have no problem filling those hotels up.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:07 PM

It's incredibly poor to read so many comments associated with speculation, suspicion and resentment towards this urban reserve.

If Canada wasn't so busy screwing over First Nations and First Nation need not to fight these battles in court, maybe the incorporation of Winnipeggers and consultation would be reciprocal.

For those of you who are uneducated in what's known as the 'Treaty Land Entitlement' (TLE), it essentially means this:

1) Canada and First Nations of Treaty 1 signed the first Historic Treaty;
2) Canada illegally under-delivered on the amount of reserve land to be allocated;
3) First Nations sued Canada and are granted an x amount of acres to convert into a reserve within the Treaty 1 territory;
4) The lawsuits are paid out in cash and not land; and
5) Any lands declared a federal surplus, TLE First Nations within that Treaty territory have "first option" to purchase.

The Feds ignored this first option hoping to illegally transfer the lands to the Canada Lands Corporation (CLC) to eventually be sold to investors. However, the Feds blatantly violated the law and got shut-down in federal court.

So, considering the size of the Treaty 1 territory combined with Canada's lack of willingness to provide other economic lands on a "willing seller, willing buyer" basis or let alone even honour the "first option" provision within the TLE agreement, Treaty 1 First Nations have resorted to using every inch of available land that is deemed economically strategic.

This makes the Fair Market Value (FMV) cost of the land for purchase to widen Kenaston is less than the opportunity value for First Nations. Why give up 5 acres of land for $400,000 when the unique land designation of the gas bar will bring in $12M in revenue per year? You can buy land anywhere, but only a limited amount of it become reserve land.

Not even the Indian Act or any other act (like the First Nations Land Management Act Regime) allow additions to reserves. Reserves can only be created out of court settlements like the TLE or illegally-created absolute surrenders.

This, unfortunately, has resulted in a dysfunctional relationship where TLE First Nations are more self-interested in their own investments rather than accommodating governments that didn't (excuse the language) give no sh**s about them. Since First Nations can't add to their reserves within their own territory, they will hold onto every parcel they can get.

Considering that First Nations had to sue Canada for breaches of the Treaties, sue them for first option rights to Kapyong Barracks and still receive the negative slack in these comments in unjust.

The goal of economic development for First Nations is to become self-sufficient, self-reliant and not to depend on taxpayer dollars. The more they're economically successful, the less they require on government transfers from taxpayers.

The price of using less taxpayer dollars is coming at the price of your commute. And frankly, if Canada and other governments properly and legally negotiated this 10 years ago, we wouldn't be in this situation.

You can't ask First Nations to be considerate when no one hasn't been considerate of their rights for 151 years.

The fact that First Nations keep successfully suing Canada says a lot at who's at-fault here. Rather than blaming First Nations for the lack of widening for Kenaston, blame the Harper government for challenging it and losing every single time.

Maybe then First Nations wouldn't need to cling to every inch of opportunistic parcels of land knowing how hard they had to fight for it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:10 PM

^ I think only rrskylar had a beef with the very idea of urban reserves... the rest of us are simply critiquing the design concept. Of which there is plenty to criticize.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan