HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 4:15 PM

west49 appears to have closed in the Cornwall, as well.

Edit: This morning it didn't open until well past 9:30, I guess. Not sure if they're closing or not.

Last edited by yveseluj; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 5:21 AM

Another retailer closed in Regina.

credit:
@Feztickle75 on Twitter

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Another retailer closed in Regina.

credit:
@Feztickle75 on Twitter
They were hardly open for the last 5 years anyway.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 5:55 AM
Hmm....

Was their stuff any good? I've never gone there. I'd have gone to the Ukrainian Co-op for any of the stuff listed on their building if I was going to go with store-bought.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Was their stuff any good? I've never gone there. I'd have gone to the Ukrainian Co-op for any of the stuff listed on their building if I was going to go with store-bought.
It was fine. But you could get better elsewhere.

They'd been trying sell for at least 5 years (at an insane price) so their heart wasn't in it, which was evident by their sporadic opening hours.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 11:24 PM

Cornwall Centre Photo Update December 2018

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 12:01 AM

Christ, that looks bad.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 12:23 AM

There are some large areas basically with a non or near to non existent grout job. Hoping PCL has their top tile workers waiting on standby to properly finish. The new tile will also neeed a huge clean and wipe down when it is all done.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Christ, that looks bad.
Active construction zones typically don't look great. Once finished, it'll clearly be an improvement.

I see that the plan for a large new skylight over the food court (in front of the Sushi place/top of escalators) has been abandoned. Would've been nice to have some natural light in that area, but certain a nice-to-have, not a need.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Active construction zones typically don't look great. Once finished, it'll clearly be an improvement.

I see that the plan for a large new skylight over the food court (in front of the Sushi place/top of escalators) has been abandoned. Would've been nice to have some natural light in that area, but certain a nice-to-have, not a need.
Yes, I wish that plan would have stayed in place. More light would have been wonderful. They haven’t started the work yet for the new elevator from food court down to Sasktel main level.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Yes, I wish that plan would have stayed in place. More light would have been wonderful. They haven’t started the work yet for the new elevator from food court down to Sasktel main level.
I hadn’t noticed that on the plans. It’s needed... expecting folks with mobility issues to use either Sears, the Bay, RBC, or parkade elevators was weird. And with Sears closed, it’s downright impractical.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:40 PM

This building is under construction at Prince of Wales and Haughton behind Canadian Tire. Affinity CU is taking about half the building.

http://www.collierscanada.com/en/25707#.XC99Tk3sZfw

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:58 PM

Urban Cellars is now (Dec.15) open on Quance near Leo's. This is a huge store - very nice. It is much better and larger than Superstore or Metro Liquor. Staff is friendly and helpful. They handed out free bags of ice!

For some reason they have little online presence. They do not show up on a Google maps liquor store search. They are listed as liquor wholesaler! They have no website.

With at least 4 liquor stores already in the SE, one would expect the SLGA store on Quance will be gone soon.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:54 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Urban Cellars is now (Dec.15) open on Quance near Leo's. This is a huge store - very nice. It is much better and larger than Superstore or Metro Liquor. Staff is friendly and helpful. They handed out free bags of ice!

For some reason they have little online presence. They do not show up on a Google maps liquor store search. They are listed as liquor wholesaler! They have no website.

With at least 4 liquor stores already in the SE, one would expect the SLGA store on Quance will be gone soon.
Why? For the most part, the government stores are cheaper (other than when independent stores do bigger sales on certain items). I find myself generally still going to LBs rather than private stores when I need to get something. It's the private stores that need to really turn a decent profit. The LB on quance just needs at least a razor thin profit to be viable.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Why? For the most part, the government stores are cheaper (other than when independent stores do bigger sales on certain items). I find myself generally still going to LBs rather than private stores when I need to get something. It's the private stores that need to really turn a decent profit. The LB on quance just needs at least a razor thin profit to be viable.
Agreed I got to LB more than Private. Mostly because the price I see is the price I pay. If private showed the price with taxes and deposit in it would be a lot closer in price most times. Private stores do have more selection though and better coolers. But that’s about it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:02 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Agreed I got to LB more than Private. Mostly because the price I see is the price I pay. If private showed the price with taxes and deposit in it would be a lot closer in price most times. Private stores do have more selection though and better coolers. But that’s about it.
I'll agree with that too. I don't necessarily need a massive selection (usually beer is the major influencer on that, and I'm not a beer person). I also tend to plan ahead, so the advantage of larger coolers becomes somewhat moot. Specialty wines might be the other influence, but I don't know that the private stores have enough of those to really make a major impact.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I'll never understand why the LB's in Sask sell warm beer, at least as far as regular domestic brands go. I understand it's some bizarre holdover from the old days when only off-sales could sell cold beer but those days are long gone.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 7:11 PM

The SLGA on Quance is the busiest of the govt stores in Regina. It isn't going anywhere. As for selling warm beer, the beer companies aren't paying for their stuff to be put in the cooler.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I go to the Quance LB all the time. I like it better than any of the private stores. Although it is a hassle getting in and out of the parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 9:26 PM

I'll break the mold. I don't go to the LB's out of principle. That and their physical stores suck.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan