HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
That looks great....
I know - it's awesome and I always thought those were the ugliest buildings. If it was up to me, Downtown would be lit up like Vegas. With that said, I do come from a long Dynasty of White Trailer Trash, but that is neither here <nor> there!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 8:53 PM

Interesting Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Hands down the best photo I have ever seen of Atlanta!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cawood...n/photostream/

Amazing picture! You can see three of our primary skylines in one picture with Buckhead in the distance and all of the trees in between.
However, as awesome as the Fourth Ward development bonanza is in the foreground, I can't help but notice that this aerial photograph helps illustrate some issues with this type high-density midrise development.
The Forth Ward is a cool place and it looks great from a street level perspective - as long as street scaping and good design are always part of the planning process. However, from this vantage point, the site of massive roof-tops and parking decks is a less attractive and it gives me a little pause when thinking about the tree canopy slowly being replaced with this type of development.
Yes, we can squeeze more pocket parks into the mix, but Atlanta will most definitely start to look more & more like other cities when viewed from this perspective as we see more of this type of development in the future.
Also, as boring as suburbia may be to some, the attractive tree canopy in the middle-ground of the photo exists because of the single-family housing that still exists there - which lends itself to preserving more of the tree canopy - the tree canopy that makes Atlanta unique among most cities of its size.

I must say though, one benefit of the development in this area is the fact that so much of the development seems to be replacing derelict
properties or breathing new life into old buildings by renovating interesting historic structures.

Last edited by mayhem; Jun 19, 2018 at 6:59 PM. Reason: PLEASE STOP QUOTING PICTURES

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Also, as boring as suburbia may be to some, the attractive tree canopy in the middle-ground of the photo exists because of the single-family housing that still exists there - which lends itself to preserving more of the tree canopy - the tree canopy that makes Atlanta unique among most cities of its size.
I agree the tree canopy is great, and one of Atlanta's best assets, especially since there is not a natural body of water. I disagree about the tree canopy, though, partially for the environmental benefits of having dense cities, and also for the livability that dense cities provide. I remember driving down Freedom Parkway in the late 90's, about 5 years after it was built. The trees that lined it were large, but not mature then. In 2018, 25 years later, the trees planted in 1993 appear to be mature trees that contribute to the tree canopy. If you think of this long term, the area in the photograph will have mature trees in another 15 years, and the single family homes in the distance will be the next victims of development. As long as Atlanta values trees and mandates they are planted with each development, we can maintain our tree canopy for years to come.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I agree the tree canopy is great, and one of Atlanta's best assets, especially since there is not a natural body of water. I disagree about the tree canopy, though, partially for the environmental benefits of having dense cities, and also for the livability that dense cities provide. I remember driving down Freedom Parkway in the late 90's, about 5 years after it was built. The trees that lined it were large, but not mature then. In 2018, 25 years later, the trees planted in 1993 appear to be mature trees that contribute to the tree canopy. If you think of this long term, the area in the photograph will have mature trees in another 15 years, and the single family homes in the distance will be the next victims of development. As long as Atlanta values trees and mandates they are planted with each development, we can maintain our tree canopy for years to come.
Agreed. There are a lot of trees in the foreground of that picture, they are just very young still.

The Georgia Conservancy (which has the mission of protecting our natural environment) does a great program on "Good Urbanism 101" on exactly why good dense development like this helps protect our tree canopy in the state. Each of those mid-rise apartment buildings (that still generally are only about as high as the tree line) house enough people to save a few dozen acres of forest that would be clear cut if those people had to look for new housing options in exurban cul-de-sacs instead.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I know - it's awesome and I always thought those were the ugliest buildings. If it was up to me, Downtown would be lit up like Vegas. With that said, I do come from a long Dynasty of White Trailer Trash, but that is neither here <nor> there!
Hooray for lighting of dumpy 1960-era buildings (sorry Portman) and also for white trash!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 2:18 AM

So the Standard isn’t going to be ready for Fall semester. Move-in was supposed to be August 18, and now they’re aiming for September 30th. Unfortunately it’s not surprising if you look at the current construction progress.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:11 PM

Home Depot Backyard at Mercedes-Benz Stadium

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ckyard-at.html
Quote:
According to a news release, construction on The Home Depot Backyard "is progressing well and on schedule for early Fall 2018. All remaining rubble from the former site of the Georgia Dome has been cleared and the site is currently being prepped for turf installation at the end of June. Installation of the 35-foot mirrored soccer ball sculpture that will sit on the north plaza overlooking The Home Depot Backyard will begin this week and continue over the coming weeks."

Last edited by mayhem; Jun 19, 2018 at 7:01 PM. Reason: Double posting photos

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:12 PM

Star Metals

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...56-000-sf.html
Quote:
Regus Spaces signed a 56,121-square-foot lease at the planned Star Metals Atlanta mixed-use development in West Midtown. Spaces will occupy the 7th and 8th floors of the project's 14-story Star Metals Offices. Atlanta Business Chronicle reported earlier this year Regus was in discussions with the project's developer, The Allen Morris Co.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 1:34 PM
BANNED

The Piedmont Hospital Marcus Heart and Vascular Center

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Let's not forget that trees, shrubs and other greenery can be planted on the roof tops. Also, parking decks with sides exposed should be required to have vines, ivy or any other type of green coverage. I am surprised that "green roofs" aren't more of a thing in Atlanta, given how beautifully the flora grows there.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Interlock - West Midtown (New Videos)

Seriously, this project and Star Metals is on another level.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Let's not forget that trees, shrubs and other greenery can be planted on the roof tops. Also, parking decks with sides exposed should be required to have vines, ivy or any other type of green coverage. I am surprised that "green roofs" aren't more of a thing in Atlanta, given how beautifully the flora grows there.

covering all of those decks in midtown with greenery would go a long way to making me hate some of those side street facades much less.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:35 PM
BANNED

Juniper & 5th (J5 Condos) - Midtown

https://whatnowatlanta.com/j5-juniper-5th-condos/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Juniper & 5th (J5 Condos) - Midtown

https://whatnowatlanta.com/j5-juniper-5th-condos/
love them.

Last edited by mayhem; Jun 22, 2018 at 5:36 AM. Reason: QUOTING PICTURES, YOU SHOULD STOP.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:32 PM

Hey guys peaked inside most of the windows at the new Whole Foods on 14th. What's the deal? Looks like the entire inside is raw with zero traces of equipment, parts, materials or any activity on it's build out? Looks like a barren warehouse inside. Is the project on hold or what?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL CTO View Post
Hey guys peaked inside most of the windows at the new Whole Foods on 14th. What's the deal? Looks like the entire inside is raw with zero traces of equipment, parts, materials or any activity on it's build out? Looks like a barren warehouse inside. Is the project on hold or what?
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-to-begin.html

https://whatnowatlanta.com/midtown-whole-foods-market/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:09 PM

The exterior of that Whole Foods has some of the most discombobulated facades I've ever seen for one of their stores.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:26 PM

Pershing Point getting $10 million renovation

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...0-million.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
The exterior of that Whole Foods has some of the most discombobulated facades I've ever seen for one of their stores.
100% agree - It's f'en horrendous.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I drove past the building this past weekend. The exterior is strangely broken up & unattractive. But, then again, I suppose it's appropriate since this project sits at the base of what is by far the ugliest high-rise built during this cycle -Icon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations