HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Anyone know when the phase between the E.C. Row Expressway and the Ojibway Parkway opens? Before the snow falls or does it still have some more work do be done next year?
I just stumbled on this little snippet in the Windsor Star

Quote:
Meanwhile, final steps are being taken to open the final two-kilometre stretch of the 11-kilometre parkway.

The parkway — which opened in August — remains blocked off at Labelle Street near E.C. Row. The final two kilometres west of LaBelle to Ojibway Parkway remains closed to traffic — despite paving, line markings and signage in place.

There was little explanation as to why the parkway’s final stretch remains off limits to traffic.

“We anticipate that the parkway will open in this area within the next two months,” Palanacki said.
http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...y-construction

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 12:15 AM
User Registered

Herb Gray Parkway's final section to open within a couple weeks

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...ection-to-open

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 2:55 AM

The rest of the highway opened last night:

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/parkway-complete

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
The rest of the highway opened last night:

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/parkway-complete
And here it is. In both directions, too.

Video Link

I decided to do something different with this video. Instead of vantage points beside the road, I did exit ramps and this video shows every single onramp and offramp on the Herb Gray Parkway (except for one which isn't open yet).

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa230e View Post
And here it is. In both directions, too.

Video Link

I decided to do something different with this video. Instead of vantage points beside the road, I did exit ramps and this video shows every single onramp and offramp on the Herb Gray Parkway (except for one which isn't open yet).
This obviously took a LOT of work, driving time, editing time, gas, etc. So let me be the first to say that I appreciate how much work you put into this.

I've noticed that none of the CMS signs are functional anymore? Are these just going to stay inactive until the bridge is done?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderStrat View Post
This obviously took a LOT of work, driving time, editing time, gas, etc. So let me be the first to say that I appreciate how much work you put into this.

I've noticed that none of the CMS signs are functional anymore? Are these just going to stay inactive until the bridge is done?
Thanks, I appreciate it. I take the 401 to work so fortunately I didn't have to go far out of my way to shoot it. I just take my camera along for the commute. I've been a roadgeek for a long time so I'm super excited about the project and I couldn't sit on my hands while a project like this gets built right in my backyard. I'd still be taking photos and video even if nobody watched them.

The change from what was there before to what has been built is staggering and I wanted to capture the transformation. I have probably 50GB or so of photos and videos. I started a blog years ago to post them all but going through them and posting them is time consuming (and boring) and I'm really behind with it. I'll probably do one progress video next spring or summer to show off the landscaping, parks and bike trails (if they're finished) and a retrospective video showing progress over time and that'll be it.

As for the CMS signs, they were on for a while, then they were off for a while and now sometime in the last few days they turned them back on again. So far they're all just placeholder messages and probably will be until the bridge opens.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I take the 401 to work so fortunately I didn't have to go far out of my way to shoot it. I just take my camera along for the commute.
But still, filming all those ramps must have added lots of driving time. Thanks for doing it, it's great to see it all.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
But still, filming all those ramps must have added lots of driving time. Thanks for doing it, it's great to see it all.
No problem. It's a labour of love.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 11:01 PM

Some parkway updates:

The bike trails and parks are opening soon.
Quote:
The roadbed of the $1.4-billion Herb Gray Parkway is impressive enough, but soon Windsor area residents will also have full access to trails, walkways and park amenities around the new border highway corridor.

The final touches are being put on the 20-kilometre, multi-use trail system and, in the new year, there will be an official unveiling of the new recreational ribbon stretching from Malden Road in West Windsor to near Howard Avenue in the east end of the city.
http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...bed-as-amazing

Meetings are being held for the 401/Ojibway Parkway overpass:
Quote:
The new extension of Highway 401 as part of the Herb Gray Parkway currently comes to an abrupt end at Ojibway Parkway, but that will not be the case for much longer.

A public information open house was held Tuesday night at the Ojibway Nature Centre to gauge public feedback on whether they would prefer a three-span or four-span bridge to carry traffic to the new customs plaza.
http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...jibway-parkway

This just in: The new bridge will be big.
Quote:
But what Cautillo revealed was this: the new bridge will dwarf the old Ambassador Bridge in every way, from capacity to plaza sizes, but mostly in its monstrous size. And effect.

We already knew it will be more than twice as wide as the existing bridge. But the twin spires of the new structure will soar an estimated 250 metres when finished, meaning they will both be approximately the height of Detroit’s Renaissance Center.

It’s going to be a lot of fun to see it come out of the ground, which will occur some time in 2017, by the sounds of it. If they built a grandstand, they could sell a ton of tickets. There’s a worldwide network of geeks who follow the construction of such projects (check out skyscraperpage.com, among other websites), and they’re going to come in droves to see this one.
http://windsorstar.com/opinion/colum...er-over-region

...and expensive
Quote:
The federal Liberal government will need to find $3.5 billion more to pay for a new bridge at the bustling border crossing between Canada and the United States.

Documents show Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been warned that the cost of building the new Windsor-Detroit bridge has likely gone up by at least $2 billion, thanks to the declining value of the Canadian dollar.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...told-1.3388954

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 12:53 AM
User Registered

Some new aerials from the 401 extension in Windsor:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 5:31 PM
User Registered

Progress pics showing 401 extension in Windsor 2012-2015

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 8:22 PM

A cool mini-documentary from the Herb Gray Parkway Facebook feed. There's some cool drone footage in it.

Quote:
Thanks to the St. Clair College Journalism students for putting together this documentary on the Parkway.
Video Link
In other news the trail system is still not officially open and they're cracking down on people trying to use them.

Quote:
Cyclists, joggers and walkers have not been shy about travelling throughout the numerous paths of the Herb Gray Parkway’s new trail system.

But parkway officials said this week they want you to cut it out.

“We appreciate with the wonderful weather that people want to be out and on the trail system,” said Mike Palanacki, operations director for the parkway’s contractor, the Windsor Essex Mobility Group.

“But the Parkway trails are still closed as landscaping activities are ongoing and (construction) equipment is accessing the trails in various locations.”

There are nearly 20 kilometres of trails and green space designed into the parkway project. While the new roadway extension of Highway 401 opened last summer, the trail system is still in the midst of construction and final landscaping.
http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...ill-off-limits

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
A cool mini-documentary from the Herb Gray Parkway Facebook feed. There's some cool drone footage in it.

In other news the trail system is still not officially open and they're cracking down on people trying to use them.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-ne...ill-off-limits

I have to admit, I've walked significant portions of the HGP trail network on at least three occasions while construction has been ongoing. While I have walked by various construction activities and construction workers during these times, nobody has ever said anything to me about utilizing the trail network, or asked me to leave.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I have to admit, I've walked significant portions of the HGP trail network on at least three occasions while construction has been ongoing. While I have walked by various construction activities and construction workers during these times, nobody has ever said anything to me about utilizing the trail network, or asked me to leave.
I haven't actually been out yet this year. I do plan to take some pictures and videos soon, though.

Last edited by sa230e; May 13, 2016 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:51 AM

So I finally took a bike ride out on the trails and took my camera with me. They really are all they're cracked up to be. Despite the fact that they're not finished and all the greenery they planted hasn't grown it yet they really look beautiful. There were a few connections to side streets that were unpaved and the tunnel tops and some areas still look pretty bare. I don't know if they're going to let it pollinate and grow in naturally or lay down sod.

Anyway, prepare for a few big photo dumps.

Here's the pond between Huron Church Line and Todd Lane:

View of the road. Same place, different direction:

Todd/Cabana tunnel top:

Huron Church Road pedestrian bridge:

Last edited by sa230e; May 25, 2016 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:58 AM

Photo dump #2

Pond at Geraedts drive:

Geraedts drive tunnel top:

Geraedts drive path underpass:

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:48 AM

Cousineau pedestrian bridge:

The view from the bridge:

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:49 AM

Hearthwood tunnel top:

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 4:58 PM

This pond has what appears to be a boat launch ramp

Howard Avenue pedestrian overpass

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:06 AM

Ok last one of these for now. Hopefully the huge photo dump doesn't make viewing the page too difficult. Here's the Cabana road pedestrian bridge:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario