HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 9:24 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller Better View Post
SSP is not much better today. SSC impossible to access and SSP very slow.
Actually, SSP is more dependant on what time it is. At times when the NorthAmericans are on-line in droves SSP has been known to slow alot. But when I go online in the mornings it's perfect
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 2:19 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

GRRRRRR - okay here's what I don't get.... why in the name of yellow don't they just get a pro server solution with gurentees and pro 24h support...?

I do realise that there's economics involed - but the frustration that comes from the way SSC is run must be worse than a single monthly figue... and wasn't the add support added to awoid stuff like this?

Personly I would be willing to pay for SSC ( if a few features were added and the rules altered a bit and kept in a fair and friendly matter )

If Jan really wants to keep it running and free he might want to look at all the national sub forums and skip a few... it's not that I don't like subforums... but if there really are so large problems cutting down on the non-English ones and maybe collecting a few nations into single ones like in the S&B section might help out...

I see no reason why some single nations have 10+ subforums and other crap that's rarely used while others have 7 nations sharing 2 subforums and a Skybar... ( I prefere the later btw - but S&B needs a personal city picture subforum though - are you listning Swede )

SSP is slow at times too, but far from a broken as SSC so Kudos to the boss man

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 4:12 PM

SSP is much faster because it has barely any users. Look at the most important subsection "Europe", it has 4,007 posts. Euroscrapers at SSC have 844,273 posts, that's not counting other European forums, such as French, Polish, Spanish, Irish and Dutch. That's about three million posts vs four thousand here

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:03 PM
Retarded User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazepa View Post
SSP is much faster because it has barely any users. Look at the most important subsection "Europe", it has 4,007 posts. Euroscrapers at SSC have 844,273 posts, that's not counting other European forums, such as French, Polish, Spanish, Irish and Dutch. That's about three million posts vs four thousand here
And - oh sweet, sweet irony - the most popular thread in the SSP-Europe sectino is this one...about SSC...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:23 PM

The comparison of number of threads can't be made, because threads here are deleted after they're not posted in for 3 months, whilst at SSC the threads remain for at least 18 months if they're not posted in.

So it's probably more like 4000 vs 500,000 in all European forums over there.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:31 PM
Retarded User

That's still 125 times more...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:15 PM

4000 is till smaller than the subsection of a subsection of Euroscrapers subsection

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:25 PM

The thing that would mostly likely bring traffic is already existing traffic, so it's kinda like a catch 22.

We've had country sub-forums here in the past, and in Asia and the middle east but adding them there never brought any traffic to themselves.

The only area that seems to bring any traffic is the continent of the Americas, so this must be a new world forum or something.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 9:45 PM
Honored Member

I guess the auto pruning system is a good thing , something good for a site.
Way to many threads about things which have nothing to do with architecture and to many subforums are not good for a forum.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 2:49 PM

Ok, let me get some misconceptions out of the way here.

The size of the database, how many threads are on the forum, and how many subforums there are has absolutely NO impact on the problems we just experienced.

What did have an impact was the 4000+ users online at the same time.

We tried to add another server, and it overloaded the power circuits (I have all kinds of unkind things to say about the datacenter, but I'll keep them to myself right now). They added a new circuit, and I just finished getting the 4th webserver online about 15 minutes ago. The site is running very snappy with 3500 users online, and the loads on the servers are quite acceptable. This should suffice until we hit around 6000 users online, at which point we'll need to think about more hardware. Hopefully we have 6 months before that happens.

Now, I see plenty of armchair server admins in this forum, and not a single one of them has any clue as to how the cluster is set up, and what kind of incompetent fools I have to work with at the datacenter. I'd move the site, but that would give us probably close to 3-5 days of downtime while the servers are packed up and shipped elsewhere.

Now, for those who are whining about what's being done, grow your own forum and see if you can handle it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 6:05 PM
Retarded User

That's right! Go kick some ass, DaiTengu!

Anyway, the forums are working like clockwork right now. Fingers crossed...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 8:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
Well , is there a difference between registred and non-registred users ?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 10:13 PM
Supertall Fan #1

I registered on the site almost two weeks ago and never got a confirmation email. Now that you have it fixed, should I re-register?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatcher View Post
I registered on the site almost two weeks ago and never got a confirmation email. Now that you have it fixed, should I re-register?
e-mail me at: daitengu@zoints.com with your username, I'll manually approve your account.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 11:12 PM

It does not work for me again.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 11:13 PM
Future Architect

Skyscrapercity is not working again for me!!!
Which is why I registered here
I found the skyscraperpage website before I found skyscrapercity anyway.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 11:14 PM

^^^ Now it works again.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Well , is there a difference between registred and non-registred users ?
well of course, registered users have an account and can search, and post. unregistered users don't.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 10:46 PM

Well im guessing he means in terms of messing things up, server-wise/

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiTengu View Post
Ok, let me get some misconceptions out of the way here.

The size of the database, how many threads are on the forum, and how many subforums there are has absolutely NO impact on the problems we just experienced.

We tried to add another server, and it overloaded the power circuits (I have all kinds of unkind things to say about the datacenter, but I'll keep them to myself right now). They added a new circuit, and I just finished getting the 4th webserver online about 15 minutes ago. The site is running very snappy with 3500 users online, and the loads on the servers are quite acceptable. This should suffice until we hit around 6000 users online, at which point we'll need to think about more hardware. Hopefully we have 6 months before that happens.

Now, I see plenty of armchair server admins in this forum, and not a single one of them has any clue as to how the cluster is set up, and what kind of incompetent fools I have to work with at the datacenter. I'd move the site, but that would give us probably close to 3-5 days of downtime while the servers are packed up and shipped elsewhere.

Now, for those who are whining about what's being done, grow your own forum and see if you can handle it.

I'm doing that now for my Atlanta board.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe