HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 3:22 AM
BANNED

nice

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:28 AM
Dance with the Devil

I Would Love To Tear Down North Pier Apartments On Lsd!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 5:09 AM
ParanoidAndroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
^^^^^ That happens to be my favorite Chicago building. I'd get rid of the 'Unitran' building first.

There's certainly nothing special about the Unitrin building (I wondered what they paid the "Batman" people to keep the name visible in the movies??), but I think I'd still ditch the Donnelly building if given the choice. To pit them against one another, I'd have to admit that the Donnelly tower suffers from ambition. There's clearly an effort there, I just think it's misplaced. Whatever the....and I'm not sure what to call them..the 'bracing'? that runs horizontally every fifth floor or so, coupled with the vertical bands that bisect them...it just feels too busy and inelegant. The roof seems similarly incongruent, not so much with the building, but with the idea of a skyscraper.

To toss my hat in the contrarian ring, I have to say that I like the "General Growth" building on Wacker. Can anyone tell me what style of architecture it represents? It reminds me of a more successful version of the old Sun-Times building. Taking its river location into account, I'm especially fond of this building. To each his own, eh??

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 5:19 AM

Don't demolish Donnelly, just reclad that basterd. Or at least keep it as a reminder of what not to build and block it from wherever possible (like what the Waterview Tower is doing).

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 7:52 PM

Chicago's Mid-Continental Plaza is horrendous! It should either be repainted, re-cladded, or simply torn down!

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joshand...ro/1105871869/

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixo1 View Post
Chicago's Mid-Continental Plaza is horrendous! It should either be repainted, re-cladded, or simply torn down!

tear it down!

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:12 PM
BANNED

i vote we tear down everything from the lake front to columbus (save bcbs and the mies and i guess 340) and try again.

the tide, the shoreham, the regatta, the chandler, the landcaster, all those ugly new parkhomes or whatever they're called, 175 n harbor, haror point, 400 e randolph, buckingham plaza, and the swisshotel... that stupid park... did i forget any?

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:20 PM
BANNED

actually, i vote we tear down everything in this picture except jhc and that brown SOM building

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:24 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post

actually, i vote we tear down everything in this picture except jhc and that brown SOM building
Okay really now, Chicago has one of the world's greatest skylines, without all these filler buildings, Chicago's skyline would just be blah.

I dont hate any building unlike your digusting unhealthy obsession to kill postmodernism, none of those buildings in that picture are masterpieces, but I like all of them, I dont see how you would spare th John Hancock Center, I always thought that building was ugly and I never cared much for it, but I dont hate it and wish for it to be torn down, its a great addition for the Chicago skyline and looks great with its surroundings.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:36 PM
BANNED

and then move the magical wrecking ball up lsd and raze all the crap that lines the drive...

and so on...

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 10:25 PM

I got first dibs on the W...

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 1:38 AM

Question

Quote:

Aren't they turning this building into condos or something, and some part of the building is getting balconies and its going to be recladed? can someone clarigy this?

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 1:44 AM

Lightbulb

Adrian, I think the best Idea is to TARE all of chicago down and rebuild it? Man i dont think you should speak like that, apperently you hate every building in chicago. I do have your idea that buildings look better when they are modern, and all those 1920's 30's etc buildings really DONT LOOK GOOD AT ALL, but i dont think we should tare them down, they do a great job at just being there and filling the skyline. Eventually in the future, those buildings are going to be torn down, but lets just enjoy architecture, and not every building has to be awesome or stand out, the city needs "filler" buildings, because some parts of the skyline look bare.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:00 AM

^The majority (more like all) of the ugly high-rises have practically zero chance of getting torn down as long as people are willing to live in them despite their hideousness, and unfortunately 99% of people living in a high-rise could care less what it looks like. Not that this forum serves as a constructive means of architectural criticism, but it is nice to come here to vent to people frustrations that one may have that only people on this board are likely to share and/or care about. And this thread is titled "T E A R _ I T _ D O W N ! ! !", so what did you expect?

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:04 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO_0121 View Post
Aren't they turning this building into condos or something, and some part of the building is getting balconies and its going to be recladed? can someone clarigy this?
http://parkmonroe.com/index.asp

the video is actually pretty awesome. that looks like some good urban living.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:12 AM
World Machine

Quote:
That comes off as a bit un-practical to me. It wasn't designed to be a residential building given its bulk and massive floorplates. I think a simple renovation and reclad would do the trick, though being a fan of international architecture, I have no probelm with this building.

I'm not aware of Chicago's commercial space demand, and given the fact that the majority of the construction projects are residential, I would guess it isn't that high (correct me if I'm wrong). Point is it's not a residential building, it's an office building, and even if a conversion such as this is to go through, it's past use would be obvious.

Any thoughts from Chicago forumers?

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:15 AM

Quote:

Yep! Hopefully, the new design will complement Chicago's skyline! (That's if they actually remodel its exterior.)

Source: http://www.dreamtown.com/buildings/55-E-monroe.html

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:20 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
That comes off as a bit un-practical to me. It wasn't designed to be a residential building given its bulk and massive floorplates. I think a simple renovation and reclad would do the trick, though being a fan of international architecture, I have no probelm with this building.

I'm not aware of Chicago's commercial space demand, and given the fact that the majority of the construction projects are residential, I would guess it isn't that high (correct me if I'm wrong). Point is it's not a residential building, it's an office building, and even if a conversion such as this is to go through, it's past use would be obvious.

Any thoughts from Chicago forumers?
It comes down to money. They can demand more money per sq foot for residential than for office space. I think our commercial market is doing just fine, I'll see if I can get some numbers.

But this building specifically has protected views, so I'm sure they thought it would sell. Check out the video in that link I posted. It looks really nice actually.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:22 AM

^That is absolutely horrible. I have already seen those illustrations, but I had thrown them into my mental garbage the second I saw them. The reminder is not comforting. I happen to actually like the structure now as-is, but that is some serious destruction with those balconies. That shit should be illegal.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Yep! Hopefully, the new design will complement Chicago's skyline! (That's if they actually remodel its exterior.)

Source: http://www.dreamtown.com/buildings/55-E-monroe.html
Well im with you, I think this would complement chicago's skyline very well, but why dont they re-clad the entire building. It would take time for me to get used to seeing this building like half modern, half post modern, seems like the mix is not mixing very well. Nevertheless it still is better than the "original" eyesore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture