HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:07 PM

Someone mentioned that they won't be doing much work during the day to avoid disruption to WS, such as the foundation work. This will probably mean the first couple floors will move incredibly slowly until they reach a height where noise is no longer an issue and can be worked on all day.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Is it possible this is for the entire project to be done, and not just 300 Main? IIRC they said that the 300 tower would be done first with the middle part (330 Main) to be completed after.
I think they've always referred to project completion in reference to the entire block, unless specifying otherwise

Quote:
^Artis said the middle portion (330 Main) would be the last phase of the whole project – can't see it being ready before 2020.
They said that at first, but meant that the middle portion would start later to complete at similar time as the tower.

Since then, they've reversed that. Work on the central portion, as it relies on commercial tenants also, will start first.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I think they've always referred to project completion in reference to the entire block, unless specifying otherwise

They said that at first, but meant that the middle portion would start later to complete at similar time as the tower.

Since then, they've reversed that. Work on the central portion, as it relies on commercial tenants also, will start first.
So you're saying that construction will start on 330 Main before 300 Main? I didn't think they decided what was going to be built in the middle section yet (i.e. grocery store, hotel or other).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:33 PM

^By all accounts the centre portion design seemed to have been completed for a while, regardless of what eventual tenants were going in. I also thought they flat out said it'd be a grocery store?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
^By all accounts the centre portion design seemed to have been completed for a while, regardless of what eventual tenants were going in. I also thought they flat out said it'd be a grocery store?
I dont think they could get a grocer to commit so it's going to good life fitness i believe, relocating from 201 Portage.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:34 AM
keep the good times going

Yeah, I mentioned here before, I had a guest lecture from the architect and he said they couldn't find a grocer to take the space. He did say a chain fitness company, instead, was going to be a tenant but he didn't specify which one.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:23 AM
surely you agree with me

GoodLife

Edit. Oops. Didn’t read up.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:17 AM

Oh right I remember that conversation as I mentioned how bad the current downtown GoodLife is.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:32 PM

Too bad, looks like the downtown grocer idea isn't progressing well. Maybe what is included in the food aspect of True North will at least provide a basic, or maybe higher end grocery option. I think a mid-sized grocer would do well in some downtown location. It's usually ideal to include them in developments like this one.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 2:46 PM

^ Wpg Square always struck me as an odd location for a grocer anyway. Not many people live around there and notwithstanding 300 Main, that won't change much in the years ahead.

I think a small greengrocer in the Exchange, augmented by existing small Chinese markets and Save-On delivery service is what the northern part of downtown will likely have to live with for the next while.

South downtown already has a grocery store, the nicely improved Family Foods. Plus there's Safeway just across the bridge.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:01 PM
surely you agree with me

I would way rather have a butcher baker and candlestick maker in three separate shops than a big suburban grocery store.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I would way rather have a butcher baker and candlestick maker in three separate shops than a big suburban grocery store.
Agreed, plus SaveOn delivers and Superstore will have delivery before this is built. God I wish we had Trader Joe's in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:36 PM

^^^ I've heard some chatter about a European style grocer/market going in the space next to Mayberry Gallery on McDermot.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:56 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
^^^ I've heard some chatter about a European style grocer/market going in the space next to Mayberry Gallery on McDermot.
Lol what exactly makes a market or grocer "European style"

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Calabria market and La Grotta are 2 examples, there's many Asian style markets out there too.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Small footprint. A place that offers fresh local breads, produce, meats, cheeses and other necessities geared toward a daily shopping routine vs. the larger 'weekly shop' to a Superstore.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Small footprint, small selection of fresh, high-quality food like baking and deli?

Although to be fair the larges grocer in the world, Aldi, is from Germany sooo... Lol.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:14 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Small footprint, small selection of fresh, high-quality food like baking and deli?

Although to be fair the larges grocer in the world, Aldi, is from Germany sooo... Lol.
Aldi and Lidl , not exactly the models of an idyllic grocery store. Lol

That being said, a lot of the grocery stores in Europe tend to be really well stocked despite their smaller size. There are virtually no big box grocers that I'm aware of.

I think something like a carrefour would be a good fit in the exchange.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:17 PM

^Yeah Carrefour and Tesco are great models.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
I think something like a carrefour would be a good fit in the exchange.
I presume you mean a Carrefour City location and not the full-meal deal?

I have long thought a compact Carrefour City or something like it would be great in Winnipeg. They're small but they're usually remarkably well stocked. They would definitely be useful for providing the basics. One in the Exchange District would be very useful.

Although pondering it further, I suppose you could say that Giant Tiger does have the basic Carrefour City selection, even if it doesn't present it in a very stylish way like Carrefour does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan