HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:57 PM
Hammer'd

Yeah I'm guessing the route will go up Hwy 6 from the 403 so Aldershot station is only one highway exit out of the way. It guarantees that you'll be able to connect to a Lakeshore West train if theres no service at West Harbour (looking more likely since they're cutting service back there as well).

Great new route to see tho, I had to do the trip a few times a year ago to see a friend and it was terrible. Usually got stuck at Square One awhile waiting for my connection and the Route 40 bus was usually packed at rush hour.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Yeah I'm guessing the route will go up Hwy 6 from the 403 so Aldershot station is only one highway exit out of the way. It guarantees that you'll be able to connect to a Lakeshore West train if theres no service at West Harbour (looking more likely since they're cutting service back there as well).

Great new route to see tho, I had to do the trip a few times a year ago to see a friend and it was terrible. Usually got stuck at Square One awhile waiting for my connection and the Route 40 bus was usually packed at rush hour.
But the Hamilton GO Centre to Aldershot trip is already served by the 18 bus and the GO Train. So for me this route makes no sense, and it will just make the trip to Guelph that much more inconvenient.

This route would be much better if it eliminated both the Mac and Aldershot stops.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:26 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
But the Hamilton GO Centre to Aldershot trip is already served by the 18 bus and the GO Train. So for me this route makes no sense, and it will just make the trip to Guelph that much more inconvenient.

This route would be much better if it eliminated both the Mac and Aldershot stops.
I agree that it definitely doesn't make sense to make those stops in the Waterloo bound direction since you'd just take the 18 or go to West Harbour if you wanted a LW train but in the Hamilton bound direction it makes sense since those customers probably will want to grab a LW train without going into Hamilton to grab another bus back in the same direction they just came from. This whole problem stems from the fact that Hamilton is still getting the shaft on train service of course. If that problem ever improves, hopefully they can axe the Aldershot stop.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 5:06 PM
Ham-burgher

This is a good start. So much service is Toronto-centric and there are good reasons for that. But intercity connections between Hamilton and KW, Guelph, Brantford, Niagara, and even as far as London are all important too and will become more so as populations swell.

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 10:07 PM

Confederation GO today. Not too much to look at quite yet.

North side:

South side:

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 11:59 AM

I drive by here 5, 6 times a week. Always something happening lately,what, not sure. 4 excavators on site, several cranes. Working at or along the tracks a lot.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 1:07 PM

I imagine the work right now is centred around building the pedestrian tunnels to access the future platforms, as well as building the track itself for the station.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure