HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:00 PM

^^ Not sure why you needed to single out "primarily rural," which I think is a given.

But, there ain't ah gonna be fewer animals abused simply by moving the event to a different venue.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
^^ Not sure why you needed to single out "primarily rural," which I think is a given.

But, there ain't ah gonna be fewer animals abused simply by moving the event to a different venue.
I mentioned the 'primarily rural' in passing as I was only really speaking to the 'tacky' part directly, leaving only that singling out to address the 'hick' side of the defense.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 1:04 AM

I have to agree with some of you - apart from the chili cookoff, the local support has dwindled somewhat. There was a time until a few years ago when Edmonton embraced this with more passion. Building were decorated, white collar office workers were encouraged to wear jeans during the CFR, bars had CFR events on, maybe the odd cattle rustling parade. I would say the majority of the CFR support comes from the rural areas from all corners of Alberta. But after losing it and getting it back again, maybe Edmontonians will put forth more of an effort to keep it here.

Just spitballing here - but maybe if the CFR or the bullriders event at Rogers was moved to the late summer or early autumn then there could be even more ancillary events such as street parties.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:26 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

So now that the Coliseum will be around in its current form until 2019, I wonder how many extra events the old girl will snag from Rogers Place or even the Saddledome... I guess we will see if there can be a business case made after all for keeping it as a large-scale venue in competition with downtown... After all even Vancouver still has both arenas capable of hosting full-sized world-class events...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 1:14 PM
DRINK

never really liked the CFR but always greatly appreciated it's impact. Wife's family business sees a big bump in traffic that week from out of towners.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 2:29 PM
HVAC guru

TBH I'm actually a little disappointed at this latest revelation. City didn't support the CFR or Northlands, a bunch of bitter rhetoric ensued and after all that we finally got down to some significant forward movement in restructuring the organization and re-purposing the site. I fear with this happening we could be back at square one

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 9:40 PM

I like the CFR and I have heard that it has a decent economic impact on the city. (I suspect better than events like Crashed Ice)

IMHO;

The problem with Northlands securing this event is that it gives the organization a reason to limp along trying to operate the Coliseum for another couple of years.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 10:46 PM

Even if the CoE agrees to help N/lands with the multi-sheet proposal - everything from design to public open houses, front end engineering, to tenders, permit approvals (who knows, environmental impact assessments) will eat up most of that two years.

According to Reid, CFR will bring in enough revenue to keep said building operating during that time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 11:13 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by etown View Post
I like the CFR and I have heard that it has a decent economic impact on the city. (I suspect better than events like Crashed Ice)

IMHO;

The problem with Northlands securing this event is that it gives the organization a reason to limp along trying to operate the Coliseum for another couple of years.
And that's bad why? As long as Edmonton has 2 functioning and popular concert venues of 15,000+ seats I think Edmonton will continue to grow as a regional tourist hub. And let's face it, Northlands is probably only going to pick up a few events that Rogers can't book and the Saddledome isn't a viable option. I would have hoped that the "more pie" crowd would trump the let's give everything to Rogers and Katz movement, but alas there are obvious holdouts...

Plus I don't think having a couple hundred extra workers dumped on the market looking for work isn't all that helpful in a struggling economy...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 11:48 PM

as sent directly:

Tim [Reid],

You’re probably aware that I have at times been a Northlands’ critic when the organization has taken on ventures and done so in a manner that I have been unable to support.

It’s also true however, that when the occasion arises I like to think that I have been one of the first to congratulate the organization on a job well done.

Retaining the CFR for what is – hopefully – longer than just the next 3 years would certainly be another one of those occasions.

Congratulations to you and the rest of your staff and your volunteers for your perseverance on retaining not only an anchor tenant for Northlands but an anchor event for the Edmonton region.

Regards,

Ken

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 12:16 AM

This isn't a Northlands win. This is a CFR I got no where else to go.

The CFR is obviously great for Edmonton and Alberta...this is a given. What are the financial details compared to what was asked originally by the CFR!

Northlands it seems is rudderless.

Whats it going to be Northlands....Ice sheets or Cowboys!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
TBH I'm actually a little disappointed at this latest revelation. City didn't support the CFR or Northlands, a bunch of bitter rhetoric ensued and after all that we finally got down to some significant forward movement in restructuring the organization and re-purposing the site. I fear with this happening we could be back at square one
The city and the OEG made such a good pitch to the CFR that no one else bothered trying to match it, but too late, they'd already turned up their noses. Owing to this almost the entire board of the CPRA was fired or dismissed and the negotiating committee was flushed. The MOU with Saskatoon now seems like a desperate ploy to get some kind of bargaining position back. When/if we see the deal they struck with Northlands, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with considerably less than what was originally offered.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 6:47 PM
HVAC guru

Maybe they didn't want to deal with OEG ?

Wouldn't be the first time I heard that

In any case, credit to Northlands for keeping the event in town something the city and OEG failed to do

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Maybe they didn't want to deal with OEG ?

Wouldn't be the first time I heard that

In any case, credit to Northlands for keeping the event in town something the city and OEG failed to do
As usual you have backwards. Your biases are really embarrassing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 10:19 PM
HVAC guru

^ no I don't think so. But feel free to think that

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 12:14 AM

Cough.
I just hope the blend with what OEG is doing and the two can build off each other.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 6:35 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 2:58 AM

New rodeo in Edmonton, right after the Stampede

https://twitter.com/Northlands/statu...95243810050048

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 6:20 AM

From an Edmonton POV, seriously hope this works for them all.

But, .... this is summer, festival season and not previously seen.

Not to be pessimistic, seriously do hope it works

Old Posted Nov 10, 2016, 12:22 PM

It's indoors ... in July. Makes no sense to me. And I don't see the path forward ... unless this is Northlands game plan to keep operating the arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton