Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Which building are you referring to?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunter...t/14336956128/ and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hunter...t/14520141201/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 8:17 PM

They've been vacant for years and years. Never filled before.

There are all sorts of excuses people will make, but I believe its just because the retail scene in DTLA hasn't quite come yet. Broadway had a tiny hiccup of excitement 6 months ago with Urban Outfitters, Aesop, Acne, etc - but thats just 1 tiny intersection. There haven't been retail announcements since.

I think starting next year we will see lots of retail return to DTLA. It will likely be focused in South Park / everything east of Olive for multiple reasons (escaping the 10k+ homeless, appealing to the office workers, etc).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:

There are all sorts of excuses people will make, but I believe its just because the retail scene in DTLA hasn't quite come yet. Broadway had a tiny hiccup of excitement 6 months ago with Urban Outfitters, Aesop, Acne, etc - but thats just 1 tiny intersection. There haven't been retail announcements since.

I think starting next year we will see lots of retail return to DTLA. It will likely be focused in South Park / everything east of Olive for multiple reasons (escaping the 10k+ homeless, appealing to the office workers, etc).
Also, the whole area around the Luma/Evo/Eleven complex is kinda empty. As more empty lots fill up, more retail will come. I bet that AEG moving into the office building next door will be the catalyst needed to fill those retail spaces.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:18 PM
dream fast

Great city, good to see all the new development!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Also, the whole area around the Luma/Evo/Eleven complex is kinda empty. As more empty lots fill up, more retail will come. I bet that AEG moving into the office building next door will be the catalyst needed to fill those retail spaces.
I think you are correct.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:31 PM

The following images were taken today July 29th, 2014 in terrible overcast light.

7th & Spring CVS by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Bottega Louie & 9th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

View down 9th to 9th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

9th & Hill (Onni Podium) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

100 Beautiful girls!

Image below from Blackcats blog (http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.com) -- these 4 stucco boxes are all happening within a block on Olympic. These shots are of the building in the top left of the following image.

Olympic & Hill by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Olive (NE Corner) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Olive (SW Corner) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Olympic & Olive (NE Corner) by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Hope by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Olive by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

8th & Francisco by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Future 30+ Story
9th & Hope Tower by Hunter DTLA, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Yeesh. Watermarke's podium really mucks up what will otherwise be a very nice view looking east down 9th Street.

Last edited by blackcat23; Jul 30, 2014 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 11:54 PM

Good update once again.

They need to redo that shit asap. Every time i walk by i want to throw up. All they would need to do is do the same thing 8th and hope did but with glass that matches the building facade. They charge $4 a square for rentals, spend some money on your prop.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:

I can tell you first hand that the space in question has received a lot of interest from prospects. The reason why it's been vacant for so long is that the landlord of the retail space has held out for a restaurant tenant. However, the issue is that the space is as raw as it gets. No vent shafts, no utilities stubbed, just completely raw. Tenants have been scared off by this (big $$$ for build-out) and there is zero retail parking for the space.

You'll start to see more activity there though. Watch for announcements in the next several months.

And speaking of DTLA in general, I can tell you that a lot of big brands are scouting the market. Many of them are waiting to pull the trigger but I really do think 2015/2016 are the years the dominoes will fall.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:32 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Yeesh. Watermarke's podium really stands out in what will otherwise be a very nice view looking east down 9th Street.
I shake my head every time I see that monstrosity.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Good update once again.

They need to redo that shit asap. Every time i walk by i want to throw up. All they would need to do is do the same thing 8th and hope did but with glass that matches the building facade. They charge $4 a square for rentals, spend some money on your prop.
I agree (regarding Watermarke). A rumor I heard was its in the middle of a sale (or just closing), and that the new owners planned to go condo, as well as beautify the parking podium. One can dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy331 View Post
I can tell you first hand that the space in question has received a lot of interest from prospects. The reason why it's been vacant for so long is that the landlord of the retail space has held out for a restaurant tenant. However, the issue is that the space is as raw as it gets. No vent shafts, no utilities stubbed, just completely raw. Tenants have been scared off by this (big $$$ for build-out) and there is zero retail parking for the space.

You'll start to see more activity there though. Watch for announcements in the next several months.

And speaking of DTLA in general, I can tell you that a lot of big brands are scouting the market. Many of them are waiting to pull the trigger but I really do think 2015/2016 are the years the dominoes will fall.
That really sucks about the Luma landlord. We've got enough high-end restaurants downtown, its actually an issue. We need more regular every-day food. At this point I drive out of Downtown for nearly every meal just to have some casual food (Glendale, Alhambra, etc). I think 2015/2016 will be it as well. But I thought 2013/2014 would be it. So one never knows. If all the towers break ground that have said they will - it will be pretty insane in South Park.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:36 AM

Quote:

Near where I live they built a lot of retail that never would rent. The stuff sat vacant for 2-3 years. In the meantime, they kept building more units. In the last 6 mos, all the retail has rented. I think it has to do with the bad economy and the density of SP. And I agree with you, I think you'll see the SP retail lease up in the next year or so as density increases. A lot of developers don't include retail income in their budget calculations. So when it does rent up it goes right to the profit bottom line.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Yeesh. Watermarke's podium really mucks up what will otherwise be a very nice view looking east down 9th Street.
I like it even with the parking podium. Ninth looks like a very urban street..........something you would never have expected to see in DTLA just 10 years ago. I really like it. And these photos and videos are showing more and more pedestrians on the street. People complain on these forums but DTLA has come a long way in a very short period of time.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I agree (regarding Watermarke). A rumor I heard was its in the middle of a sale (or just closing), and that the new owners planned to go condo, as well as beautify the parking podium. One can dream...

That really sucks about the Luma landlord. We've got enough high-end restaurants downtown, its actually an issue. We need more regular every-day food. At this point I drive out of Downtown for nearly every meal just to have some casual food (Glendale, Alhambra, etc). I think 2015/2016 will be it as well. But I thought 2013/2014 would be it. So one never knows. If all the towers break ground that have said they will - it will be pretty insane in South Park.
Thats good news, and im pretty sure the sale just closed.

Also, the Luma space is in negotiations for a restaurant / gastropub... they denied my client because they want to finalize that lease before any others...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Thats good news, and im pretty sure the sale just closed.

Also, the Luma space is in negotiations for a restaurant / gastropub... they denied my client because they want to finalize that lease before any others...
What is your client........not the name but the type of retail? Are you able to disclose that info?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:22 AM

They only wanted restaurant /bars... My client was a high end dentist

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:28 AM

Hunter, I know that we should not discuss this topic as per your request, but I just have to say that the photo of the new Onni project with a mattress and a bundled object nearby in the foreground is so galling to see. This company is making a massive investment and has plans for more projects, yet this scene seems to show that the city doesn't care.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Hunter, I know that we should not discuss this topic as per your request, but I just have to say that the photo of the new Onni project with a mattress and a bundled object nearby in the foreground is so galling to see. This company is making a massive investment and has plans for more projects, yet this scene seems to show that the city doesn't care.
The city does not care - they are too afraid to go near any of it anymore with all the lawsuits they've been dealt.

Every shot I take within Downtown could include a homeless person (or many) in it. They're on literally every block east of Grand, all day everyday.

Onni (and its wealthy residents) will help this greatly. Wealthier, older residents won't put up with crap like that.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Good update once again.

Watermarke is a very creepy company which is headquartered in Corona (out my way). As far as I know this building in DTLA is the only major urban investment they have. The rest of their activity is in the Inland Empire. I think that it is essentially a provincial company and they are either overextended and can't afford the cost to remediate the ugliness of the podium or they just don't give a shit. Probably the latter.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:59 AM
UrbanEnthusiast

I just can't get over the copious amount of parking and parking garages in LA. I mean that is prime real estate. I do see the improving street vibrancy in LA though, can anyone confirm that it is improving even more? What about the retail scene?
I apologize for the questions, I'm new here, never been to LA, and as you can see, I'm from Kuala Lumpur (sprawl and horrible city planning), so I love news about density and walkability

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos