HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:09 PM

PHILADELPHIA | The Mark at Philadelphia | 407 FT | 34 FLOORS

Title: The Mark at Philadelphia
Project: Residential/retail
Architect: BKV Group
Developer: Landmark Properties
District: West Philadelphia
Neighborhood: University City
Floors: 34 floors
Height: 407 feet

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.46.45 PM by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.47.42 PM by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.48.11 PM by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.48.43 PM by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.49.42 PM by Mr. Summers, on Flickr

CDR Submission PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20220927...1-2022-CDR.pdf

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 7:34 PM

Wow!!! Out of nowhere!!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:05 PM

Damn -- that's gonna leave a mark!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:35 PM

I'm still looking over the paperwork but just off of memory I'll say this; for a few years now I've expected development to move closer to 38th Street so this will be significant; this building will have a massive effect on Philadelphia's skyline over all.

If one is downtown and looking west you will see a canyon effect. If one is outside of the Metropolitan Center in West Philadelphia looking towards downtown this tower will look much taller than it actually is because of the lay of the land; especially if one is at 44th Street in the Mill Creek Valley.

If one is approaching Philadelphia from the south either on I-95 or I-76 from the Walt Whitman Bridge; it expands the skyline substantially to 38th Street. Most building in downtown Philadelphia are between 50-75 feet above sea level however this building will sit around 131 so it will appear a great deal high and impact the skyline more. If we approach the city from the north this tower will really impact the skyline from the Museum of Art along with the Children's Hospital New Patients Tower and 3025 JFK Blvd.

We are most fortunate, University City is developing a skyline that many cities in general either have or are just beginning to obtain and while I do not really indulge in city to city conversation because the full character of a city can't be measured in pure real estate development we are seeing University City develop as downtown Baltimore has. I contemplate this tower and other projects in scale with the larger skyline of downtown Philadelphia in total.

As details and more design features come out on this tower it'll be a joy to see.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:14 PM

That's a nice Tuesday surprise! Don't often see proposals of this magnitude go straight to CDR without prior community ass-kissing, rumors/chatter, media, etc. Love the height and love that it's replacing a parking lot. https://goo.gl/maps/9SFTsZM3WCVBK5u3A Design isn't bad but not a fan of the massing (wide buildings in general), although I presume they're just trying to maximize the lot size. Excited to see this one rise - will definitely make a nice impact on the skyline and further densify the burgeoning UC skyline.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:10 PM
PHL

Great project. Build it!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 11:00 PM

Science Center, UCity Square, Penn, Drexel and gene/cell therapy. I think we'll see a lot of developers place a lot of bets on the future success of West Philly in the near future.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:13 AM

Awesome to see!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:55 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, this would be a new tallest for University City, no?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Wow, this would be a new tallest for University City, no?
No. FMC Tower is 736 feet tall. Cira Centre is 434 feet tall. Evo is 430 feet tall.

There’s also the proposed 3001 JFK Boulevard that’s a part of Schuylkill Yards which is 512 feet tall and should hopefully start construction soon. There’s also the new proposed CHOP Tower that is 434 feet tall and site prep has started on that.

So, this will be 5th or 6th tallest in University City by the time it’s completed.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:32 PM

^ Crazy! When the Cira Centre was built in 2005, it was the tallest in Univ City and I don't believe there were any other 400 footers.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:05 PM

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220930.html

Some more info on this project - includes 390 units.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 7:07 PM

I don't have any big problem with a big tower being at this location, but I got a feeling that this is going to look like a cheap turd, and a very large cheap turd. I wonder what kind of zoning allows X number of floors that are being described as dormitory type space?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 8:02 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
From the renders, looks like cheap panels will be used for cladding. If they went with better materials, it would look fine. Don't mind the design at all. it's student housing, or that is at least the developer's aim.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
From the renders, looks like cheap panels will be used for cladding. If they went with better materials, it would look fine. Don't mind the design at all. it's student housing, or that is at least the developer's aim.
My only hope here is that the material is listed in the CDR as concrete panels, not metal. IMO concrete panels look much, much better than metal.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 1:11 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
My only hope here is that the material is listed in the CDR as concrete panels, not metal. IMO concrete panels look much, much better than metal.
I agree. I've seen metal panels with joints that are "chaulked" between them. Do you know if the concrete panels are run all the way up to the top of the building?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I agree. I've seen metal panels with joints that are "chaulked" between them. Do you know if the concrete panels are run all the way up to the top of the building?
Not really sure. It looks like a mix of metal and precast concrete panels. The materials legend is on p. 18-19 of the CDR if you want to see if you can figure it out.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 2:11 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Not really sure. It looks like a mix of metal and precast concrete panels. The materials legend is on p. 18-19 of the CDR if you want to see if you can figure it out.
Don't hold me to it, but it looks like both metal and precast run up and down the length of the building in a non-random configuration. Kinda interesting with the different shades they are using to do all of this.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post

If one is approaching Philadelphia from the south either on I-95 or I-76 from the Walt Whitman Bridge; it expands the skyline substantially to 38th Street. Most building in downtown Philadelphia are between 50-75 feet above sea level however this building will sit around 131 so it will appear a great deal high and impact the skyline more. If we approach the city from the north this tower will really impact the skyline from the Museum of Art along with the Children's Hospital New Patients Tower and 3025 JFK Blvd.
I did not ever consider that regarding the sea level difference. That is a way cool fyi.

Last edited by therealdawk; Nov 14, 2022 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

BTW...this is BKV Group's 3rd project in Philly. Their first is Piazza Terminal, the 2nd being the Broad/Washington Project.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Oct 1, 2022 at 4:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction