HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:20 AM
MPLSXCHI

That looks pretty sick.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:24 AM

Signature tower is great... however...

What the f%^$

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:27 AM

Chicago has finally entered the age of the skinny-scraper.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post

What the f%^$
Oh shit, that is a bit of a problem isn't it....

Maybe they can punch some holes in the side and those residents can celebrate some new views

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:33 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I didn't see anyone on here verify this, but I was at the meeting tonight and they emphasized more than once that tower "I," the tallest one, is wider at the top than at the bottom - so it's not just some rendering optical illusion. Sort of like 1000 S Michigan, but (as of yet) not watered down.

The whole thing does look pretty well-considered.

I didn't have the time to stand up and ask "Will the under-LSD portion be open 24/7 since you cowardly decided to close the Ohio underpass late at night?" So we don't know if it will actually be a good late-night option for navigation or not unless someone else asked and I missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Maybe they can punch some holes in the side and those residents can celebrate some new views
Or at least put a wall of ivy on it - or a cool mural. Something other than plain, un-ornamented wall.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:42 AM

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:44 PM
BANNED

This is the absolute worst case of capitalist place-making. Let's all walk around like robots on staircases to nowhere that look like the inside of Woodfield mall or a Washington hotel. Barf.

Re the LSE stuff. OMG this is fantastic. It really raises the bar. If Magellan and Hines can deliver dynamic buildings and make money, why can't Related?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:55 PM

I'm honestly surprised they released that LSE rendering before vista sales were much further along. That tower is nice and skinny, but it's also directly in front of a lot of units that may have had completely unobstructed views. Maybe honesty is the best policy though.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:17 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...10-column.html

Lakeshore East towers would bring more than 2,000 residences, 500 hotel rooms

Quote:
Ryan OriContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune
Even as it builds what will become the city's third-tallest skyscraper, a Chicago real estate developer is pushing ahead on a new wave of towers in its 28-acre Lakeshore East project near the Chicago River and Lake Michigan.

Magellan Development Group on Monday night unveiled plans to construct four new buildings with 2,040 apartments and condominiums and 569 hotel rooms.

The proposed next phase of construction is ambitious enough to turn heads on its own, with the bKL Architecture-designed structures reaching as high as approximately 80 stories.

The plans are more remarkable considering Magellan and Chinese partner Wanda Group are already building the 94-story Vista Tower condominium and hotel tower, which will be the city's third-tallest building when completed in 2020, on a nearby parcel in Lakeshore East.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:20 PM

^Iv'e never had an extra 13 million to spend on a summer home floor, but how much do these gazillionaires actually look into whats getting built for them compared to whats "getting" built next to them in the future, blocked views. I'm sure they are paying their real estate agents alot of money to look into the next 20 years if there are empty lots or run down buildings next to what they are going to spend a fortune for.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:32 PM

^^ I like this quote mentioned in the article

Quote:
The new development phase, which could begin as soon as early 2018, would create new access points to the lakefront and the Riverwalk.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:50 PM

^What they actually said in the meeting is that Parcel O wants to start Q1 of 2018. For IJKL, they said they were hoping to start the smallest of the tower in about 1 year followed by the middle height tower and the tallest of the trio would be last, depending on how the first 2 buildings go.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post

What the f%^$
Seriously WTF bkl?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
It would be a real loss if the new developments did not cover up the ugly "scar", the party wall on the Chandler. It's such a blight.
Yeah, so my first impression of the design was correct... I asked the designer later to confirm, but he must have misunderstood my question thinking that I was only referring to the 'wall' below upper wacker...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Oh shit, that is a bit of a problem isn't it....

Or maybe this is a place for public art. How about a giant green wall, or perhaps a climbing wall?

Might be tricky to maintain through Chicago winters but I'm sure it can be done.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Or maybe this is a place for public art. How about a giant green wall, or perhaps a climbing wall?

Might be tricky to maintain through Chicago winters but I'm sure it can be done.
The ivy at IBM has no problems at all, even the ivy on the N face of LILNE-A, in the canyon that is Lake st, is going strong.

Last edited by harryc; Jul 11, 2017 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:54 PM

Ok, then problem solved. Someone write an email...
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:56 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I like that a lot. I like the density. I love the Erie pedestrian bridge (would it need to be a swing-bridge? That would be cool.) I like the riverfront treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 5:06 PM

Didn't they have plans for a garden wall at Intercontinental and 500 n. lsd but neither ended up happening? I wonder why those fell through?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 6:22 PM
Ascension

500 N. LSD has ivy crawling down the side of the base. It doesn't cover as much as I personally would like but it is noticeable from LSD.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations