HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

307 Prince Albert in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 4:57 AM

Banook Highrise Development 70 Feet From Family Home Opposed

(from Haligonia online)

As community groups in Halifax rally to save St Pat's Alexandra School from demolition claiming the process behind the decision was unfair, a Dartmouth community group is unhappy about plans for a 15-story development which, if allowed to proceed, will be built within a residential neighborhood less than 70 feet from an existing home.

Jeff Weatherhead of the Banook Area Residents Association says that their group "supports development compatible with the existing low rise residential character of the area", but the HRM Planning Staff Report being presented to community council on Thursday “has certain critical flaws in the techniques Planning Staff have used to gain support of Council vote on this application”.

The rest of the story and then the 'community group' letter can be found here.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
(from Haligonia online)

As community groups in Halifax rally to save St Pat's Alexandra School from demolition claiming the process behind the decision was unfair, a Dartmouth community group is unhappy about plans for a 15-story development which, if allowed to proceed, will be built within a residential neighborhood less than 70 feet from an existing home.

Jeff Weatherhead of the Banook Area Residents Association says that their group "supports development compatible with the existing low rise residential character of the area", but the HRM Planning Staff Report being presented to community council on Thursday “has certain critical flaws in the techniques Planning Staff have used to gain support of Council vote on this application”.

This is why 40 storeys should be allowed around Mic Mac Mall, Datrmouth Crossing, Kempt Rd., Bayers Lake etc.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
(from Haligonia online)

This shit pisses me off, when you buy a piece of property there's no guarantee that surrounding areas are generally unchanged for the rest of existence that would be absurd and leave no room for future growth of any communities, absolutely ridiculous that these people think that they have the right to hold back the progress of an entire city and the future of its children. As a city grows high-rises will begin to take place in various parts of the city and there's no guarantee it won't happen in your neighborhood if it does move to the suburbs and stop whining!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2012, 10:50 PM

Just read it - some article.

This guy doesn't like tall buildings and clearly he's focused on "the needs of the few or the one ... outweighing the needs of the many" (probably a Spock / Trekkie fan).

Look, I'm ok to go along with what he says just as long as he pays my growing property tax bills and gives my mom & dad a no maintenance home near the lake (where they want to be). Oh, and I hope he gets volume discounts on fire extinguishers so when my car gets torched like others on Prince Albert road, that he'll courteously come by and extinguish it for me.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...dartmouth.html

But really, I get it and I understand where he's coming from, he lives in the neighbourhood, loves it and wants to make sure that it is preserved for him and his neighbours to enjoy ... but no one else. In fact his policy is so effective, that even existing residents needing and preferring different mid-rise housing simply leave the neighbourhood because there aren't any options. But that's ok, we'll just enjoy lower property values and more single family homes being converted to modest rentals (read low-end), to help slum up the area some more. He and short sighted people like him are the real problem, hiding behind the "soft speak" suggesting "we don't hate development ... really", all the while driving their own selfish agendas. Wake up - there isn't an endless supply of money out there and HRM needs to position for future financial pressures .... and amongst other things, a collapsing US economy (yeah it'll affect us too ...). Last numbers I saw the mainland area population had shrunk around 30% in the last 4-5 years as opposed to growing by similar amounts (at least that's what city planners had hoped to have in meeting sustainability targets). A big win for the Negative Mainland Population Growth Initiative - go team !!

The writer talks about the property rights of neighbours and their rights to impose opinion on adjacent properties - they knew the existing site was zoned C2 and that there were no height restrictions re same (or they should have or their lawyer ought to have told them ...). What he fails to recognize are the property rights of the development owner. I think it's high time a group organize to deal with opposing say .... the illegal repainting of his deck or the upgrades in his home. Silly - Right ? Not much sillier than his expectation of interfering with someone else's property rights.

Initiatives by groups like these just need to be shut down. Misleading information, negative propaganda, selfish unsustainable agendas, ignorance of the facts, etc ... I guess that's why we elect municipal government officials, to help make all the right decisions so these poor people don't have to - Yeah Right !!

This public process is so flawed that it's destroying the fabric of city cores. Come on councillors, show some leadership - listen to your planners and professionals.

Make Noise !!!

peace ...

Last edited by ibnem2; Jan 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 5:44 PM

It would be a shame to not develop this building and revitalize this community.
I have just sent an email to the Harbour East Council (http://halifax.ca/commcoun/hecc/hecc.html) on behalf of myself and my parents who still live in the neighborhood supporting the proposal on the existing site.

I would urge all who support this project to do the same.
Opposition like this is what forced me to leave the east coast and move to Calgary.
I would love to move back home in the next few years and raise my family where i was raised but not without the economic growth that is needed.

mcclusg@halifax.ca
karsteb@halifax.ca
darren.fisher@halifax.ca
lorelei.nicoll@halifax.ca
smithj@halifax.ca
barkhoj@halifax.ca

-Jim

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 10:18 PM

email the Councillors

I'm emailing the Councillors. It's just a numbers game. You guys do the same.

And if you already haven't signed the petition:

www.theprincealbert.ca/petition

Make Noise !!

(anyone wanting to chat - pm me tonight. I've got some other info that may be interesting)

Last edited by ibnem2; Jan 13, 2012 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 12:05 AM

Although I haven't lived in the HRM since 2005 I still consider it home...petition signed. I really hope this gets built.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 12:59 AM
Honored Member

I signed the petition; I am not sure if they will accept somewhere street in the Toronto area as an address?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:45 PM

Just had some valuable information passed on to me that I would like to share with you all:

We need people to be seen in Support of the Prince Albert
at Community Council Chambers on Tuesday Jan 17th 6:00 PM.

90 Alderney Dr Dartmouth (old Library back entrance)

Council has scheduled a special session to consider a motion to allow the Prince Albert Development application to be heard.
The normally is for a brief presentation by Staff, followed by the formality of Council accepting to hear the case and a scheduled hearing date. No speaking opportunities - just listen and smile.

That's how it works in practice ... but other things can happen.
Technically, Council can refuse to consider the application leaving us dead in the water. No democratic process and no opportunity to present our case.

There will be an informal get together at 5:00pm just across the street at Keltic Corner, prior to the hearing.

Please pass this on to all your friends and family in support of the project.
The Prince Albert deserves to be built to revitalize the neighborhood.
The more support that shows up for the hearing, the more councilors know projects of this nature are needed to sustain economic growth.

I have passed this on to all my friends and family back home and hope the support will show up on Tuesday at 6pm.

Please do the same and make the Prince Albert a Reality!

-Jim

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:51 PM
Honored Member

Good luck with your efforts Jim. I hope that people on this forum will make the effort to show up and show their support. These opportunities to show support can have a big impact on the municipality, bit by bit.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 12:12 AM

I'll be there

It's a first reading but with all the nonsense going on around HRM Council, who knows what could happen. If you wanna believe what can happen, read Blumenthal's comments in the recent Herald article:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion...l-over-halifax

"You can't do business with crazy" - Bluementhal said it, not me !

BTW if you can't understand what the writer is talking or what her stand is, don't feel bad - It's just that she can't write (she's probably a Smurf generation scholar), but you'll still get the idea ...

Oh, and please don't tell anyone outside of Halifax what happens in HRM, it would be embarrassing if the word got out.

layder ...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 12:45 AM

Yeah, Lezlie Lowe is a horrible columnist. She is obviously intelligent, but like Watts she has not a lick of common sense and her writing style is pretty scrambly.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yeah, Lezlie Lowe is a horrible columnist. She is obviously intelligent, but like Watts she has not a lick of common sense and her writing style is pretty scrambly.
"horrible columnist" = Yes
"She is obviously intelligent" = No, she's just pretending
"senseless and scrambled" = Yes

On the good side, she takes a nice picture, And the new Smurf Movie II needs writers - she should fit right in.

Oh, and if that doesn't work, she could always run for Council ...

Sorry for all the bashing, I'll be good on the next round.

cheers

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 1:02 AM

Good luck, as a former resident of Dartmouth I really hope to see this move forward. I would love to attend the meeting but I live in Calgary.

Also I spent many years kayaking on that lake and I have no problems with this development whatsoever.

Once again in, good luck

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
Good luck, as a former resident of Dartmouth I really hope to see this move forward. I would love to attend the meeting but I live in Calgary.

Also I spent many years kayaking on that lake and I have no problems with this development whatsoever.

Once again in, good luck
By the way guys, I wrote one of the Councillors and received a pretty positive response (and yes ... I was polite). I believe they actually want the project but are worried about the vocal minority. Now inspired, I'm gonna write some more ...

Give em some ammo.

Bang !

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 1:28 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibnem2 View Post
By the way guys, I wrote one of the Councillors on received a pretty positive response (and yes ... I was polite). I believe they actually want the project but are worried about the vocal minority. Now inspired, I'm gonna write some more ...

Give em some ammo.

Bang !
It is good that you took the time to make your opinions know. It is important for elected officials know what the majority think. Otherwise, the squeaky-wheel, vocal minority will continue to have a disproportionate degree of decision-making in the municipality.

Many HRM Councillors do take the time to listen to people who take the time to express their point of view.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 1:43 PM

I didn't notice if this has been mentioned before (so apologies if I somehow missed it). Have there been any studies or what have you to show what the impact would be on traffic patterns?

There are times that getting on/off Glenwood from Prince Albert Road is a pain in the butt...how much worse would it be with this apartment at the bottom of the street? And, probably even more importantly, how many people will use Glenwood as a cut-through to Portland Street? The number of cars doing that now, and the speed at which they fly past, is already too high.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:15 PM

The staff report indicates that a traffic impact study was done and reviewed and there was no issues.

This goes to Harbour East Community Council tonight for first reading.
The staff report can be found here. Normally they post the traffic impact information on their website - but I can't find it under the case information.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:35 AM

Did I hear right? This got turned down without even a public hearing? Did Gloria pull another Brightwood torpedo-job?

I am about ready to give up hope for this town.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 1:35 AM

I was there and I couldn't believe it turned down 3 / 3. There must have been 60-70 people w buttons supporting the project (most of the room) - This is insane. No opportunity to at least get heard. What happened to the promise of an open public process. Wait ... that only happens in a democracy - See, now you get it.

It's bad enough that council ignores staff. But for their latest gig they're ignoring the public process. What's next, a slave nation ? Oh wait, the Feds beat them to it - it's called the income tax act. Too bad Councillors, you'll just have to find something else for your next challenge.

Guys, this is nuts and another scandal in the making.

Last edited by ibnem2; Jan 18, 2012 at 3:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth