HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 10:49 PM

Buckingham has filed for a wastewater permit for the 500' tall residential tower they proposed five years ago for their triangular lot at Division and 12th Avenue in The Gulch and tabled. This iteration is about 3 floors and 55 feet taller for 42 at 505' and will contain both condo and rental units. Architect is Skidmore Owings Merrill.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 3:46 AM
Nashville born and raised

Delete

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jan 26, 2020 at 3:52 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 3:48 AM

Delete

Last edited by MidTenn1; Oct 16, 2021 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 3:50 AM

The Buckingham would be 6th building existing, rising or proposed over 500 feet tall in Nashville;

Paramount - 65 floors - 750 ft (proposed)
Nashville Yards (Amazon?) building - 40 floors - 600 ft. + (proposed)
AT&T - 32 floors - 617 ft. (existing)
Four Seasons - 41 floors - 542 ft. (Under construction)
505 - 45 floors - 539 ft. (existing)
Buckingham - 42 floors - 505 ft. (proposed)

And there are two more rumored;
The mystery 40 story office building on KVB
The million sf office on the Lincoln Company property at the KVB Roundabout.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jan 26, 2020 at 4:09 AM. Reason: Duplicate post Duh?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:50 PM

I hope they are sticking with the original design as well if they are indeed moving forward. I'm still surprised that they are wanting to build a tower of that size on such a small piece of property in Nashville. But, that will be such a dramatic and welcomed change to that area. If they are intending to build a 500'+ building on that site, I think it will prompt other developers to consider taller buildings along the southern perimeter of SoBro. People may not have thought about this, but from the Tennessee Tower at Rosa Parks & MLK to Domino's Pizza at 4th Ave South and Layfayette is approximately 1.4 miles. That means the CBD's skyline would be over a mile long. Which is a pretty good distance for a mid-major city. Add the growing midtown skyline and Nashville will be quite impressive. And, if the River North development turns into a project that has 20 and 30 story buildings, that will expand the skyline northward as well. Just think about what the approach would look like driving south bound from the Trinity Lane on I-24/65.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:46 PM

A took this picture about a month ago from midtown; I count about 13 cranes.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jan 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
I hope they are sticking with the original design as well if they are indeed moving forward. I'm still surprised that they are wanting to build a tower of that size on such a small piece of property in Nashville. But, that will be such a dramatic and welcomed change to that area. If they are intending to build a 500'+ building on that site, I think it will prompt other developers to consider taller buildings along the southern perimeter of SoBro. People may not have thought about this, but from the Tennessee Tower at Rosa Parks & MLK to Domino's Pizza at 4th Ave South and Layfayette is approximately 1.4 miles. That means the CBD's skyline would be over a mile long. Which is a pretty good distance for a mid-major city. Add the growing midtown skyline and Nashville will be quite impressive. And, if the River North development turns into a project that has 20 and 30 story buildings, that will expand the skyline northward as well. Just think about what the approach would look like driving south bound from the Trinity Lane on I-24/65.
I did this map a few months ago just to get an idea of the spread of the skyline/urbanized area in Nashville and determined it covers at least two and a half square miles which is pretty large for a city of its size.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
I did this map a few months ago just to get an idea of the spread of the skyline/urbanized area in Nashville and determined it covers at least two and a half square miles which is pretty large for a city of its size.

What projects are the 3-4 green dots on east bank near Nissan Stadium?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
What projects are the 3-4 green dots on east bank near Nissan Stadium?
There is a 10-12 story hotel going up just east of the stadium parking lot. I may have 'parked' the other dots at that place on the map intending to move them to a different spot on the map.

A small error for sure, but the map is otherwise still an accurate representation of the extent of the urbanized area in Nashville.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 5:41 AM

Major League Soccer and the owners of the soon to debut Nashville Soccer Club franchise have delivered an 'ultimatum' to Nashville Mayor Cooper to put up or shut up (my words) regarding his delaying signing off on necessary documents which will allow clearance of the Fairgrounds proposed stadium so construction can begin. From the TENNESSEAN...

Quote:
In a joint statement released Thursday, soccer officials say there is "deep disappointment" that the mayor has not come to a consensus with the team's ownership group on the future of the MLS stadium at Fairgrounds Nashville.
"The Mayor’s continued refusal to proceed is a deep disappointment to Nashville SC and MLS. Nashville SC has agreed to work with the Mayor’s office over the next week to advance the discussions and finalize a plan to begin the stadium construction project," said the statement.
Nashville SC and MLS are asking for an update on a "mutually agreeable solution" by Feb. 6.
The Mayor was recently elected partially with support from 'anti-growth' voters (again, my words) and he's apparently playing to that crowd on this issue.

This may create only a little bit of uncertainty about the future of soccer in Nashville, in my opinion, but I won't be surprised if we see some theater acted out where the owners say 'Wow that guy is a tough negotiator' while getting a favorable deal on any re-negotiations.

More background on the issue from the TENNESSEAN...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:19 AM

Vanderbilt will name its latest 'Collegiate Gothic' academic building and 20 story Gothic tower after Chancellor Nick Zeppos who was the driving force behind the rebuilding of the Vanderbilt campus.

A few years ago, you could drive down West End and not know Vanderbilt was there. Now there will be no doubt.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:58 AM
Everywhere all at once

The new buildings at Vanderbilt are among my favorite projects going up in Nashville right now. The Collegiate Gothic revival movement happening at elite universities around the country has to be one of the most unusual and fascinating trends in architecture right now, especially with how well they are often executed. Furthermore, it's not every day a city earns a new landmark structure that looks as though it's been there for a century or more!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 8:32 PM

I second that. I love gothic college campuses. Duke is one of my favorites to visit; jealous of their castle/cathedral campus. Next time, I'll check out Vanderbilt.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 4:52 AM

New Nashville Yards/Amazon Renderings

Delete

Last edited by MidTenn1; Oct 16, 2021 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:40 PM

A view of the current construction of Phase 1 of the Amazon complex in the Nashville Yards development on the west side of downtown. You can see a little snow on the ground this morning.

Phase 1 is on the right.

The newest renderings (shown on my card) for Nashville Yards/Amazon

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
The new buildings at Vanderbilt are among my favorite projects going up in Nashville right now. The Collegiate Gothic revival movement happening at elite universities around the country has to be one of the most unusual and fascinating trends in architecture right now, especially with how well they are often executed. Furthermore, it's not every day a city earns a new landmark structure that looks as though it's been there for a century or more!
I couldn't agree more!! I love well-executed contemporary, but we need to also add more of a mix of the great classics. It makes a city far more interesting and approachable. This Collegiate Gothic project is absolutely beautiful and proves that we can still accomplish the great craftsmanship of the past.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:39 PM

Hey all, signing off for a while. No drama, just taking a break (all good). I won't be posting for a considerable time. I hope someone can at least post highlights. TTFN!

MidTenn1

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:52 AM
Future God

Quote:
Hey all, signing off for a while. No drama, just taking a break (all good). I won't be posting for a considerable time. I hope someone can at least post highlights. TTFN!

MidTenn1
We will do our best my friend, but noone will ever be able to fill your shoes! All the best to you, and I hope we see you back here again sooner than later! Cheers!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:

MidTenn1
Gonna miss you. Really enjoy your graphics. So hurry back.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:32 PM

MidTenn1 we can't begin to post with the vibrancy that you do, but we'll try. Enjoy your break from the board!

Hope everyone saw the news that the MLS Stadium is now a done deal thanks to the mayor coming to his senses. He's claiming some re-negotiations to make the deal better for Nashville. But, ultimately he was under serious pressure and was potentially putting Nashville in a legal battle it would not win had he stalled too much longer. Here is a rendering of what the revised site of the MLS Stadium and a revamped Fairgrounds Speedway would look like if NASCAR returns to Nashville.

from the Tennessean:
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2...unds&auto=webp

Also, the Downtown Code Design Review Committee unanimously approved the Nashville Yards digital signage plans. This approval came despite opposition from the Mayor.

Hopefully this will send a message that he's not going to hinder Nashville's growth over idiotic reasoning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations