HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 11:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Funny how this has never come up again.
Makes sense. We're coming up on the three year anniversary of the Maine Legislature repealing their $300K feasibility for the project.

For those curious, the Potash Mill closure in Sussex has more to do with the deteriorating currency in Brazil and less to do with economic conditions in Canada. IIRC Brazil's currency has fallen more versus the USD than the CAD has. That says a lot. Saint John Potash Terminal continuing operations.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
I'm putting 3 to 1 odds on something to do with Irving. Alternatively, it could be (finally) confirmation of the Maine East-West Highway.
It's funny you wrote that, because I came across this today while reading a different article for a different thread on the forums today:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...-super-highway

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 4:19 PM

Not sure where Woodstock fits in; either here or Northern NB. I'll toss it here like the rest.

Saw this on the Woodstock Memories FB group:

The old LG Wilsons car dealership on Houlton Road has been bought by Larson Electric and they're renovating the building. From the FB pictures, it looks like it's getting a new roofline.

Also sounds like the Log Cabin restaurant has new owners who are opening it up as "The Pirate restaurant".

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 11:40 AM

Salisbury NB commercial development

Rumours have been circulating about a new commercial development at Salisbury's exit from the TCH. A couple of years back, a large barn burned down on the south side of the TCH at the intersection. Over the past couple of weeks, there has been a lot of activity around there.

New sewer pipe has been laid across the Fredericton Rd and a lot of clearing and site prep of a large area is underway, including catch basins in a large flat area that could indicate a parking lot.

There are rumours that Tim Hortons could be moving across the TCH to this new location, as they are having well water issues. Other rumours include a Need's/Fast Fuel, McDonald's, or other Fast food chain.

Or maybe they're just building a larger barn.

No signs are up as of yet, but stay tuned...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 12:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If this is the SE corner of the Fredericton Rd/TCH interchange, wasn't there originally supposed to be a hotel built there? They put in a foundation 5 years ago or so, but then nothing else happened.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 12:20 PM

Yeah, you can still see the concrete for the Hotel there, but nothing has happened.

How much of that land is owned by the Green Pig people? They have the fruit stand there that seems to be fairly popular.

In any case, that seems to be a no brainer improvement. That exit is always busy at all hours of the day, and access into Silver Fox and area is a PITA. Moving Tims would make sense, as would adding a McDs and/or another gas station (Esso Truck stop maybe?); anything to syphon off some of the traffic going to Silver Fox.

In hindsight, the Ultramar Truck stop (and maybe DQ) should have been built on the south side of the exit, so it could split the trucking traffic up a bit.

*Edit* I just noticed the Green Pig's Corn Maze on Google Sat View.

Looking at said sat view, the farm and Green Pig's fields would have blocked a full sized truck stop. I don't see Green Pig giving up that field right off of their parking lot even now. If the farm on the other side would yield the field, a full truck stop (or major commercial section) could fit in there.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

If this is the SE corner of the Fredericton Rd/TCH interchange, wasn't there originally supposed to be a hotel built there? They put in a foundation 5 years ago or so, but then nothing else happened.
There was supposed to be a Best Western hotel there, but the money ran out. This new development is actually on the Southwest corner, on the opposite side of the Fredericton road from the Green Pig. It's in the front part of the current farm's land.

Traffic in that area is quite bad most hours of the day. During the summer, it's at the point where traffic signals are starting to make sense.

The Corn Maze is very successful. I think they make more money on that then the Green Pig itself. Not to downplay the Green Pig, as it's quite a nice farmer's market on it's own. There have been some food trucks in their lot over the summer too. It's turning into a popular spot.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 12:52 PM

That spot makes sense. It's big enough to handle a full sized Truck stop eventually (with associated businesses), while still leaving room for road upgrades, and since it is across the road, it won't take away from Green Pig too much (side by side IMO is more 'disruptive' than across the road).

I paused at the Green Pig a few times this summer (It's an Ingress Portal / PokeStop ), and it always seemed pretty busy. Adding in a gas station/Tims/Fast Food restaurant would probably help them more.

And I agree that traffic levels around Silver Fox are getting near Traffic-light levels. Too bad all those driveways are staggered; if a light were to be installed, there would have to be some driveway reallignments, but I have no clue who would budge.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:19 PM

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 1:44 PM
ハルウララ

Traffic will certainly have to be addressed soon. On a number of occasions, just from driving through, the east bound offramp traffic stretched onto the TCH. I'm not sure if having development on the SW corner will improve this, or if lights will improve it, but it's becoming a higher and higher traffic area as the years go by. It's great for Salisbury to become the sort of regional rest-stop but the traffic issues can't be ignored for much longer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 2:21 PM

If there's room for it, a roundabout on each side of the overpass would make sense.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
If there's room for it, a roundabout on each side of the overpass would make sense.
With the amount of Transport Truck traffic involved, I don't think a roundabout would be all that feasible; or at least it wouldn't help as much.

It seems to me that a lot of the congestion in that area is caused because you have to wait on transport trucks. They take longer to pull out of the truck stops, and because the interchange is up hill, it takes extra long for them to get up to speed.

If most of the traffic is coming from Moncton (Westbound), then maybe a solution might be to separate the car and truck traffic. What if we added truck-only ramps coming off the TCH and going back onto the TCH? The ramps would come up on the far sides of the truck stops (Along Silver Fox Drive), letting truckers turn into the Ultramar or Silver Fox without blocking traffic on Fredericton Road.

You would still have some congestion from the Moncton-bound trucks, but it should cut down on a good chunk of the traffic woes.

As another idea, I wonder what sort of traffic counts we would need to make a "Silver Fox 2" service centre profitable? Basically a Service Centre like on the 401 in Ontario, where it only serves one direction and it's on/off the highway, no other access.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 5:18 PM

I was just browsing through the council minutes for Salisbury. There was a special session held in mid-July to discuss a proposed gas bar development on the Fredericton rd.

Unfortunately, there is quite a delay between when the council meetings occur and when the minutes are put on the web site, so there is no update beyond this.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 5:31 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
As another idea, I wonder what sort of traffic counts we would need to make a "Silver Fox 2" service centre profitable? Basically a Service Centre like on the 401 in Ontario, where it only serves one direction and it's on/off the highway, no other access.
OnRoutes are slightly different as they're Provincially-run, but I get your comparison.

The problem with that is that there's already exits for both directions for Silver Fox, so putting one on the South side wouldn't do much for traffic unless you were planning on removing the overpass which would only inhibit locals and the businesses north and south. I can't see it happening.

The AADT for Salisbury is somewhere between 14,000-15,000 per day. Doubling it would mean they would need numbers similar to Wheeler Boulevard to warrant having double the establishment in Salisbury.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 7:33 PM

I heard shell/ a&w. Weird combo but

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

The AADT for Salisbury is somewhere between 14,000-15,000 per day.
Just curious, but where are you getting this information?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 10:54 PM

Here is the link to the NBSE report on this development in Salisbury. The plan is to build a subdivision with a commercial lot fronting the Fredericton road. The construction you are seeing now is for connections into the municipal storm sewer and a road bed for a new roadway to be named Shadowave Drive. The road will be a cul-de-sac and will eventually connect to existing streets in Salisbury as the subdivision develops and grows. The most likely connection point will be Reeder road at the west end of the village. Currently residents on this street are north of the rail tracks and have no other means of egress.

Having a second east to west roadway on the north side of the tracks will allow residents to bypass Main Street and connect to Fredericton road via Shadowave Drive.

http://www.nbse.ca/media-planning/me...ort-16-508.pdf

Here is an excerpt from the traffic study for this new development.

As stated earlier, a traffic impact study was completed and the conclusion / recommendation is; / Comme il a déjà été indiqué, une étude de la circulation a été effectuée et voici la conclusion/recommandation qui en découle :
Conclusion
- Site generated trips are not expected to have any significant effect on the performance of Fredericton
Road. / Les déplacements générés par le site ne devraient pas avoir d’incidence significative sur le rendement du chemin Fredericton.
- The slight positive off-set between Truman Street and the new Public Road will ensure that there is no overlap or conflict between left turning vehicles from Fredericton Road to either road. / Le léger décalage positif entre la rue Truman et le nouveau chemin public fera en sorte qu’il n’y ait pas de chevauchement ou de conflit entre les véhicules qui tournent à gauche sur le chemin Fredericton Road vers un autre chemin.
Recommendation / Recommandation
Since the Truman Street intersection is very close to the eastbound access ramp to Route 2 and it was observed that many northbound motorists turn into Truman Street thinking it is an access ramp, NBDTI should review and revise signing and pavement markings to eliminate this confusion situation. / Comme l’intersection de la rue Truman se trouve très près de la rampe d’accès de l’autorou

Last edited by macas539; Oct 26, 2016 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:51 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Just curious, but where are you getting this information?
AADT data provided by Department of Transportation. Not easy to find.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 12:54 PM

So, the consensus in Salisbury now is that the mystery development by the highway is a Needs/Fast Fuel station with an A&W.

Construction seems to be progressing quickly. This morning they had delivered two large underground fuel tanks. The lot has been levelled and there are large lights set up for working after dark.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
I heard shell/ a&w. Weird combo but
Not weird at all. There is a Need's/A&W combo that was just recently renovated in Bedford, NS.

Google Streetview

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces