HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:16 PM

chutney bay did a transit video

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:50 AM

Any news on the second batch of Mark III trains? we know train 429-431 arrived a few weeks ago. Is it in testing yet? When will it enter revenue service? What time frame will the remaining 13 trains arrive? And are they able to add the final 28 (set 4) of the 4-car Mark III trains for delivery early 2020 as an option to this order? (that would make for 28 4-car Mark III Trains (401-512, with the 5-car trains most likely starting at 516).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Hourly service from three routes. Statistically, that's one every twenty minutes.
Oh. I assumed the split would be such that 1 in 3 would go to HB, not trains from HB being split to 3 different destinations. My bad.

Even so, a maximum frequency of 1 train every 20 minutes (with little growth potential) still seems too low to invest in SkyTrain infrastructure.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Any news on the second batch of Mark III trains? we know train 429-431 arrived a few weeks ago. Is it in testing yet? When will it enter revenue service? What time frame will the remaining 13 trains arrive? And are they able to add the final 28 (set 4) of the 4-car Mark III trains for delivery early 2020 as an option to this order? (that would make for 28 4-car Mark III Trains (401-512, with the 5-car trains most likely starting at 516).
The T&C process takes about 4 months, the first several phases of which take place in the vehicle shops and then in the OMC yard. It's not until the last few phases that it will run (attended with no passengers) on the main tracks, followed by a final phase where it runs attended with passengers in revenue service.

I don't know whether train 432 was a one-off early shipment, or whether it was the start of the monthly deliveries, but for sure we will have one train arriving every month in 2019 until all 14 of the trains on order have arrived.

So far, only those 14 trains have been ordered so those are the only ones currently being built. The RFI for companies to produce additional trains seems to still be actively posted.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Oh. I assumed the split would be such that 1 in 3 would go to HB, not trains from HB being split to 3 different destinations. My bad.

Even so, a maximum frequency of 1 train every 20 minutes (with little growth potential) still seems too low to invest in SkyTrain infrastructure.
Easy mistake, don't sweat it. And ditto.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:07 PM

New private express bus service between Surrey and UBC approved

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surre...ress-bus-route

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
New private express bus service between Surrey and UBC approved

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surre...ress-bus-route
I definitely like this. It's a decent strategy to try and relieve some of the Expo line. Hopefully folks would be willing to cough up the dough for it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:43 PM

$20 per day, $100 per week, $400 per month, $3200 per year (assuming 8 months of school and 4 months of break).

I really hope that people can afford it. I don't mean to rain on the parade, but the snowball effect is real.

The reduction in travel time is absolutely impressive though.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
$20 per day, $100 per week, $400 per month, $3200 per year (assuming 8 months of school and 4 months of break).
Mmmmhmmm.. You are preaching the choir. This route will make 0 difference considering that their market is based on students, who don't have money (and most are international anyways so they pay 3x the amount in tuition). The route itself is great, just the price that's absurd.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Mmmmhmmm.. You are preaching the choir. This route will make 0 difference considering that their market is based on students, who don't have money...
I suspect that the ones who can afford it can also afford to live a lot closer to UBC, which this service wouldn't be able to beat in terms of commute times and would have a lot of other benefits as well.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 12:47 AM

lol $10 fare. Good luck with that. If you can afford it, you can afford to drive.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:17 AM

Perhaps that's why Translink approved it...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
lol $10 fare. Good luck with that. If you can afford it, you can afford to drive.
Hard to say. For students living at home with Mom and Dad, they could use the money they saved on rent to pay for the service.

As for being able to afford to drive, I have found that Generation Z are tending to be anti car and many don't even want to get their driver's license. Besides, you can't text your friends while driving (legally at least). For my generation (gen X) freedom was getting your license. For them, freedom is high-speed internet and a good data plan (for when they can't be at home).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Hard to say. For students living at home with Mom and Dad, they could use the money they saved on rent to pay for the service.

As for being able to afford to drive, I have found that Generation Z are tending to be anti car and many don't even want to get their driver's license. Besides, you can't text your friends while driving (legally at least). For my generation (gen X) freedom was getting your license. For them, freedom is high-speed internet and a good data plan (for when they can't be at home).
You aren't saving money by riding this. In fact, it's an extra added expense because you can't use Upass with it. $10 per trip is just too steep for students on a tight budget, which sad to say, it's a majority.

There are several problems with this service, because it feels like they have no idea who they are trying market this to.

- high price. It's too high and will just put off most students, who are already paying for their Upass that can't be used on this.

- only hourly service which ends before 6pm. This will be a tough sell for those who drive. Hourly service is inadequate in offering the similar level of convenience that driving offers. You are forced to adjust your schedule around the bus's schedule.

- It doesn't goto Surrey Central or Guildford. It doesn't make much sense to ignore 2 of the biggest transit hubs in Surrey. Additionally, because it wants you to pre-book rather than "walk-in", it should only stop near major exchanges. The current proposal has too many stops. This sort of leads to the next point.

- limitations on where to place stops. It can't use Translink infrastructure so the stops can't be physically inside any of the bus loops. In this case, it's better to have as few stops as possible as it's biggest selling point is being an express.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:20 AM

It's so UBC can tell Surrey dorm applicants to buzz off

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post

I really hope that people can afford it. I don't mean to rain on the parade, but the snowball effect is real.

The reduction in travel time is absolutely impressive though.
What reduction in travel time. It's at the mercy of the 2 bridges and the crappy 4 lane 91. Plus southwest Marine drive is only 2 lanes with no turn lanes resulting in backups pretty much every day.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:01 AM

I know of a few people who drive from everyday from Surrey to UBC, factor in gas and parking and $10 ain't bad.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
You aren't saving money by riding this. In fact, it's an extra added expense because you can't use Upass with it. $10 per trip is just too steep for students on a tight budget, which sad to say, it's a majority.
It depends what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing it to living at home and using transit, then you are right. But if transit takes too long to be feasible (saving between 1 and 2 hours a day is significant) and the only alternative is renting a place closer to UBC, it will save money.

Quote:
There are several problems with this service, because it feels like they have no idea who they are trying market this to.
That is possible, but most businesses have done some market research ahead of time.

Quote:
- high price. It's too high and will just put off most students, who are already paying for their Upass that can't be used on this.
As I said, it is cheaper than renting a place. As for compared to transit, it depends how much time they save and if they can afford to loose that time.

Quote:
- only hourly service which ends before 6pm.
Most classes are an hour, so as long as it is reasonably synced with the school schedule, that shouldn't be a big issue. The last bus at 5:45 is an issue, but they could try and work their class schedule around it.

Quote:
This will be a tough sell for those who drive. Hourly service is inadequate in offering the similar level of convenience that driving offers. You are forced to adjust your schedule around the bus's schedule.
You keep forgetting that time spent driving is completely wasted. In a comfortable seat, they could possibly pull out their laptop or a textbook and do some studying, or they could use it as down time (driving in traffic is hardly relaxing). It is harder to do that on a crowded bus/train and impossible in a car.

Quote:
- It doesn't goto Surrey Central or Guildford. It doesn't make much sense to ignore 2 of the biggest transit hubs in Surrey. Additionally, because it wants you to pre-book rather than "walk-in", it should only stop near major exchanges. The current proposal has too many stops. This sort of leads to the next point.
Ya, that could be an issue, but the service could evolve as they get to know their clients needs.

Quote:
- limitations on where to place stops. It can't use Translink infrastructure so the stops can't be physically inside any of the bus loops. In this case, it's better to have as few stops as possible as it's biggest selling point is being an express.
Where does it say that? The service is approved by Translink, so I don't see why they couldn't use Translink's infrastructure.
Edit: I found the note that says that. I am sure they can find private stops. Certain businesses might not mind having students picked up/dropped off in front of them.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:37 PM

In the same paper, it also says that Translink do not allow it to use any of the existing translink bus stops.

Edit: Okay now you know.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:45 AM

Dunsmer tunnel maintains shuttle trains.

Why not run 2 shuttle trains.

Train 1 leaves Stadium and arrives on the inbound platform at Waterfront, while train 2 leaves on the outbound platform, providing a more frequent then 10 minute service.

Or if they are using the outbound track have 3 shuttle trains. a train at Stadium and at Waterfront while the train in the tunnel uses the siding at stadium to go around the train leaving stadium and then reverses into stadium on the outbound platform to unload and load waiting passengers.

Just too bad the inbound track can only support 2 shuttle trains.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure