HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:04 PM

Broadway Avenue businesses hoping for rebound year

By Adam MacVicar, Global News
April 25, 2018

Spring is finally here and for Saskatoon businesses along Broadway Avenue, the warmer weather brings the optimism things will pick up in the area after some challenging years.

“We’ve had a couple of rough summers on Broadway,” DeeAnn Mercier, executive director of the Broadway Business Improvement District (BID), said.

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4168306/b...ear-saskatoon/

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:41 PM
Pure Phase

Thirteen Pies Pizza + Bar
https://www.instagram.com/13piespizza/

It says coming soon to 2nd Avenue? Any ideas where? It is from the people behind Congress/Ace Burger Truck

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molasses View Post
Thirteen Pies Pizza + Bar
https://www.instagram.com/13piespizza/

It says coming soon to 2nd Avenue? Any ideas where? It is from the people behind Congress/Ace Burger Truck
It’s going where the old Bell and Whistle/Mexican restaurant was.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:27 PM

College Quarter

For those of you interested - there is now a Mystic Java open in the College Quarter (specifically the grad student residence along the greenway). I believe that it's the first business to open in the development.

Things are generally coming along in that sector. It looks like some further landscaping work has been done and there is now a public plaza of sorts between the two undergraduate student residences, as well as landscaping and new trees on Stadium Crescent.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:14 PM

Landmark to open new movie complex in Brighton on June 1

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
May 22, 2018

Saskatoon’s newest movie theatre will open June 1.

Landmark Cinemas at Brighton Marketplace features stadium seating in each of its seven auditoriums, with a total of 780 motorized, fully-reclining seats with extended footrests for “a significant increase in personal space and a relaxing, disruption-free movie experience,” the company says.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...hton-on-june-1

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 3:56 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Landmark to open new movie complex in Brighton on June 1

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
May 22, 2018
A little more on this topic....

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:04 PM

So....Burning Beard....sign said opening in May....there was rumours they had applied for easement to do parking stall patio....what is going on?? Any inside scoop as to whether we will see it open again? Despite what many said on here, it was one of my favorite pubs to walk to....

It will be interesting to watch the response to additional theatre options and reno's. I am not convinced our market is large enough to absorb these, but can't imagine them getting built without a solid market analysis.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:25 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
It's a "For Lease" sign, not "For Sale" sign. There are 4 bays in that building so I doubt 7-11 is going anywhere. We can look forward to Big Gulp and chicken wing refuse to decorate the street for some time to come.

For those keeping score mark another "Dead Wrong" in my ledger. As of last Friday the windows and doors are boarded up and signage has been blackened over. It's gone.

The realtor sign out front did have a "Leased" sticker on it so presumably something will be taking its place soon.

Further up the street, the hand written "Opening in May" sign on the Burning Beard's door has been replaced with an "Opening Soon" sign.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:19 PM

Well...another handwritten note in Burning Beard window the other day that says opening soon...so at least someone is updating the sign in the door! haha

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 3:09 PM

for those who are lamenting the closure of the Broadway 7-11, there are signs up in the windows in the space where Saskatoon Optical Services used to be between Lebanese Kitchen and Yamaha Piano Centre announcing a new Confectionery coming soon.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 9:37 PM

I see that Chilis has finally closed its doors. Not sure when that happened - but the sign on the front of the building is gone.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Well...another handwritten note in Burning Beard window the other day that says opening soon...so at least someone is updating the sign in the door! haha
Your really ansy for that place to re-open arent you

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 9:29 PM

haha....I guess I am one of the few that enjoyed it and miss it. Living close to Broadway, I miss having another choice to enjoy a beverage and some pub food. My friends and I liked it.....

But I will try not to post about it again until it is actually open...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:30 PM

New Faces New Places: Serving Saskatchewan on a plate

ERIN PETROW, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
July 1, 2018

Taking inspiration from their home province, Beth Rogers and Thayne Robstad have turned their love of food into a love affair for the tastebuds.

It was a huge undertaking when the couple bought the Crazy Cactus’ old location just off Ruth Street and decided to open Hearth, a restaurant in which they hope to capture the spirit of the Canadian prairies and place their own mark on Saskatoon’s local food scene.

“It’s kind of a mix of our food memories as children and a lot of local ingredients smashed together so it fits the diner that lives here,” Robstad explained.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...wan-on-a-plate

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:09 AM
Has been

Seen at the Black Cat Tavern (formerly/still partially known as Nino's)

This may simply mean they just aren't going to bother with the patio next summer but my internal optimist is hoping it means this eyesore is coming down to be replaced by something more fitting of the urban fabric. Unlikely but whatever.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Seen at the Black Cat Tavern (formerly/still partially known as Nino's)

This may simply mean they just aren't going to bother with the patio next summer but my internal optimist is hoping it means this eyesore is coming down to be replaced by something more fitting of the urban fabric. Unlikely but whatever.
I've heard that their lease isn't being renewed, but haven't seen anything to back that up

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
*insert everyone's favourite overdone Joni Mitchell lyric here*

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:28 AM

Did I miss something? Is 7-11 going under? One of the 8th Streets, 22nd street and Broadway are all gone within the last couple months.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:01 PM

Various reasons given on a Reddit thread include old gas tanks (8th & Grosvenor), high rent (Broadway) and theft (22nd). However, new 7-11s have opened at 8th & Acadia, Rosewood and Kensington in the last year. Net gain/loss is zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Did I miss something? Is 7-11 going under? One of the 8th Streets, 22nd street and Broadway are all gone within the last couple months.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:29 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan