HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Mpls is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the US. Yes our road network is poorly planned and forces traffic downtown. So what I don't understand is, instead of using your time and energy to push for improvements to traffic arteries and create an inner ring road, you spend it all having hissy fits about bikes. We had a crappy road network long before there were any bike lanes, a handful of bike lanes here and there is not going to make any difference. The peanuts we spend on bikes every year would have virtually no impact if it were redirected into the road budget. It's practically a rounding error. If you want better roads, fine, then focus your energy on that instead of yelling at guys on bikes.
This is one of the key points for me. It's also a key point that is often overlooked (whether on purpose or not) in the Portage & Main debate. Just because something "is not a priority" according to some people, doesn't mean it can't happen. That logic means that we as a city can and should only do 1 thing at a time. It's insane.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Mpls is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the US. Yes our road network is poorly planned and forces traffic downtown. So what I don't understand is, instead of using your time and energy to push for improvements to traffic arteries and create an inner ring road, you spend it all having hissy fits about bikes. We had a crappy road network long before there were any bike lanes, a handful of bike lanes here and there is not going to make any difference. The peanuts we spend on bikes every year would have virtually no impact if it were redirected into the road budget. It's practically a rounding error. If you want better roads, fine, then focus your energy on that instead of yelling at guys on bikes.
Disagree, society and tax dollars should be for the common good not spent frivolously on entitled groups. If you are outlying this amount of capital for only .01 % of the population that actively cycle and closing vehicle lanes is this really the best use of resources? Common sense would say no on many levels except in Skyscraper Page forums.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Disagree, society and tax dollars should be for the common good not spent frivolously on entitled groups. If you are outlying this amount of capital for only .01 % of the population that actively cycle and closing vehicle lanes is this really the best use of resources? Common sense would say no on many levels except in Skyscraper Page forums.
You make it sound like fortunes are spent on building cycling infrastructure. How big is the city's budget for AT infrastructure? I'd be surprised if it was even 1% of what gets spent on roads and transit each year.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:42 PM

Spending 0.01% of the budget on 0.01% of people. Seems about right. What's the problem?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry to break this to you, but encouraging cycling over cars is for the common good.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:52 PM

rr meant for the common good of drivers.

The City budgeted $4.7m in 2017 and has $5.4m budgeted for each of the next 5 years on AT infrastructure. Capital spending is hovering around $360M each year (last year was actually $432m). So we're at about 1.5% of the capital budget on AT, which is walking too, not just cycling.

I'm pretty sure 100% of people walk. So that's pretty good value. I'm also sure more than 1.5% of people cycle.

Source: https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/file...et_Volume3.pdf

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:56 PM

^ So realistically, once you part out the cycling-specific infrastructure (bike lanes, etc.) it'll be under 1%.

So remind me what all the fuss is about again?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
rr meant for the common good of drivers.

The City budgeted $4.7m in 2017 and has $5.4m budgeted for each of the next 5 years on AT infrastructure. Capital spending is hovering around $360M each year (last year was actually $432m). So we're at about 1.5% of the capital budget on AT, which is walking too, not just cycling.

I'm pretty sure 100% of people walk. So that's pretty good value. I'm also sure more than 1.5% of people cycle.

Source: https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/file...et_Volume3.pdf
I have no problem with AT infrastructure, people use it year round and around the clock myself included. Hacked in bike lanes get used by very few for a couple hours of the day. Add up the real cost of the roadways these designated bike lanes are hacked into and not just the paint and curbs! Obviously more than 1.5% of the population cycle, but what is the real number that cycle commute on dedicated bike lanes, is it .01% or more like .001% obviously our climate dictates otherwise which furthers my argument against hacked in bike lanes!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know where you got the number 0.01% of the population. It's already been established that's simply not factual. If you want to have a debate I'm all ears but if you're going to just continue to make stuff up like a child I have better things to do. The percentage of people who cycle exceeds the percentage of our budget given to cycling, meaning cyclists get less than their fair share. That's simply a fact. You're obviously not a numbers person but at least make an effort.

Last edited by windypeg; Oct 12, 2018 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:31 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Hacked in bike lanes get used by very few for a couple hours of the day.
You can say practically the same thing for the roads that are getting the bike lanes "hacked in".

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:35 PM

This survey from CAA (car lobby group) and Bike Winnipeg (bike lobby group) found 21% bike daily or a few times a week *for transportation* not just for recreation/pleasure.

http://bikewinnipeg.ca/2018/07/24/cy....Sq6TCjAV.dpbs

This national poll found many Winnipeggers want bike lanes:

“Two-thirds of Winnipeg respondents said there were too few separated lanes (compared to 46 per cent of total respondents), while 76 per cent called the lanes "a good idea" (second only to Montreal’s 80 per cent).”

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...486785171.html

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know where you got the number 0.01% of the population. It's already been established that's simply not factual. If you want to have a debate I'm all ears but if you're going to just continue to make stuff up like a child I have better things to do. The percentage of people who cycle exceeds the percentage of our budget given to cycling, meaning cyclists get less than their fair share. That's simply a fact. You're obviously not a numbers person but at least make an effort.
Out of his butt perhaps??

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:21 PM

There is no argument other than "you tuk 'r lanes!"

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
You can say practically the same thing for the roads that are getting the bike lanes "hacked in".

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with AT infrastructure, people use it year round and around the clock myself included. Hacked in bike lanes get used by very few for a couple hours of the day. Add up the real cost of the roadways these designated bike lanes are hacked into and not just the paint and curbs! Obviously more than 1.5% of the population cycle, but what is the real number that cycle commute on dedicated bike lanes, is it .01% or more like .001% obviously our climate dictates otherwise which furthers my argument against hacked in bike lanes!
According to the 2016 census, 1.7% of the population use cycling as their main mode of transportation to work. So you are only off by 17000%.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:51 PM

So seems the amount of funding is just about right if you want to go by percentages.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
There is no argument other than "you tuk 'r lanes!"
Despite the crude characterization of those who oppose losing travel lanes as slack-jawed yokels, I agree that more people seemed concerned with loss of lanes than cost.

I don't think generally there's as much concern over the 1% of spending going to AT; I think it's more the perception that they just lost 33% or 50% of the road capacity on a road they drive regularly.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:53 PM

South Park reference. Losing 1 of 4 lanes on a side street isnt concerning.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
South Park reference. Losing 1 of 4 lanes on a side street isnt concerning.
I wouldn't consider Bannatyne and McDermot side streets, and I doubt many who use them during rush hour do either.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 4:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Despite the crude characterization of those who oppose losing travel lanes as slack-jawed yokels, I agree that more people seemed concerned with loss of lanes than cost.

I don't think generally there's as much concern over the 1% of spending going to AT; I think it's more the perception that they just lost 33% or 50% of the road capacity on a road they drive regularly.
It's not just the 1% spent on curbs and paint for the dedicated bike lanes, the true cost is the expense of the road, if you have three lanes of roadway and one is hacked out for a bike lane the real cost is much higher, more like 33.3% of what the actual road cost is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan