HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 7:55 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

SSP Design Competition 4

Congrats to steveo for his addition to Bankside Powerstation!

Again, this week we'll also follow some current events.

Recently, Norman Foster, Cesar Pelli, Kohn, Penderson & Fox and David Childs presented models for their visions for the MSG, Penn Station, and 2 Penn, on some of the most valuable underutilized real estate in the world, on the West side of Manhattan. A new Madison Square Garden is likely to be located in the Western half of the historic Farley Building, with the Eastern half dedicated to a new Pennsylvania train terminal. 2 Penn will either be razed or refaced, and in the event of MSG's preservation, a tower will go up on the West wing of Farley.

(Thanks to NYguy for the diagram)

Thus, this competition requires entrants to design buildings to occupy the Vornado site (including 2 Penn, located behind MSG in above diagram) and design a new Madison Square Garden/Pennsylvania Station to sit inside the Foley Building. Here is an overview of the plots of land you are allowed to use:

SITE YELLOW:MSG & 2 PENN On the yellow site you are free to design what you want.
SITE RED:EAST FARLEY On the red site you must design a new Pennsylvania Station within the facade of the Foley Building.
SITE BLUE:WEST FARLEY On the blue site you must design a new Madison Square Garden to fit inside the facade of the Foley Building.

You are free to pick and choose aspects of the competition you would like to do, ie, design a new MSG but not Penn Station, etc., though full participation is encouraged.

Requirements this week:
Design the new Madison Square Garden, Pennsylvania Station and office tower for their appropriate lots.
A poll will be created on Saturday, December 17. Please post your concepts in the form of JPG, GIF, or PNG images. You can upload these at
www.filehost.to
or
www.imageshack.us

You can build a model, 3d model, sketch, photoshop rendering, whatever, so long as it appears here as a JPG, GIF, or PNG.

Good luck and have fun! I'm giving you a lot of time so please enter!

Last edited by CGII; Nov 12, 2006 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 12:02 AM
Lowe's

Ambitious project this wil be fun.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 2:06 AM

damn, I'm totally in.
just a couple questions - Should we use the 6msf figure as a guide when planning for the MSG site? Also, should we be taking into consideration the possibility of Brookfield building 4.7msf just to the West there?
EDIT: Oh, and isn't it the Farley building, not the Foley?

Last edited by cur_sed; Nov 12, 2006 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 3:08 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Farley, mind me.

No, since this is a casual competition, numbers, budgets, etc. are ignored, though some numbers to support your design don't hurt. I also thought including the Brookfield site and tower would make the whole design scheme too much for some possible entrants, so I left it out, though I'd encourage you to design for Brookfield as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 9:01 PM
Posting Quick Reply

This sounds interesting. I might get in this.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 7:02 AM
Desert Dweller

Count me in!

I've already got a model of the Foley Building, with my rather borish new station design (still early conceptual design)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 9:04 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Wait, are we using the actual facade of the (foley or farley building, whatever) for the stadium, or are we just building a new stadium?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 12:28 AM

Farley building is heritage listed (or whatever the American equivalent is), so you've gotta keep at least the facade.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 2:01 AM
Posting Quick Reply

So the new MSG is gonna be INSIDE the Farley building?

Man..the Farley building's cool and all, but that kinda sucks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 2:03 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Yes, to the former.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 2:59 AM
Posting Quick Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
Yes, to the former.
Well, I mean, why can't they have an updated looking arena for once? I like the Farley building, but I'd much rather have a completely new stadium, rather than the Soldiers field of Hockey/Basketball.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 1:16 PM

Wel, my design's coming along nicely, geometry has been done for a couple weeks now, but I just got back into the texturing side of things this evening, should have my final submission ready Monday or Tuesday.
How are the rest of y'all going? Anyone else definitely entering?
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing whateveryone comes up with.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 6:24 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I've got a proposal lined up.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 1:05 AM

I might actually have something. I have a basic design done. Have to work on the details.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 2:17 AM
Desert Dweller

Due to my unfortunante Computer Crash, I'm officialy dropping out of the competition

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 7:24 PM
Information Age

I have just MSG & 2 PENN,
my proposal:

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 9:44 PM

Main tower 1130' in height.
Rail station occupies ground floor of entire building (Foley/Farley/what ever it is called)
New MSG is elevated above rail tracks.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:04 AM

Alrighty y'all, here's my entry.

I've taken on both the MSG site and Farley in this one, and tried to create a coherent proposal which works with its environment. Hopefully.

Alright, first off, a couple of overviews.

This shot, clumsily composited into its place in Google Earth, gives a good overview of the project. The Glass Atria of the new MSG in the West and Moynihan station in the East are integrated into the Farley building, with glass shards connecting the 2. Across 8th Avenue, we've got 4 office towers. Again, the theme of glass shards continues, with identical clusters of towers framing a reflecting pool to the North and South. The next building is difficult to see from this point of view, but it leads visually to the tallest skyscraper here, forming a towering peak in the Easternmost corner of the site.

This shot gives a much better idea of the vertical scale of the project, as well as the increasing height from West to East. This ascent is there to complement the New York skyline, rising up towards the Empire State a few blocks East. The heights of the towers are 89 metres (17 stories), 220 metres (45 stories) and 332 metres (65 stories) respectively.

This shot gives us a better idea of what the Farley building will look like. The 2 atria house the main hall of the new Moynihan station and the new MSG. these clear roofs are connected by shards of glass, which emphasise the East-West direction of the building, and remind us of the integration of these important locations with both each other and the new office development.

Here you can see the view looking East from within the new MSG

And this is the view looking back West from the train station.

And here you can see the impressive view of the office towers from inside the Moynihan station atrium.

When researching this project, I read a lot about the poor disabled access options for the Farley building. Part of my plan to remedy this (access is key to a large train station) are these additions to the building, which sit at the 4 corners of the site, and house elevators for access to the moat below (from which, you can access the rest of the building. The master plan for this moat area is to house cafes and shops in the basement level, plant trees and create a kind of public plaza around the whole building.

Alright, that's an overview of the Farley building, on to the office towers.

For me, this image is the real kicker. All of the symmetry, all of the planning that went into this plot show up right here. This is the view a person would have immediately upon exiting Moynihan station, emerging from wherever they've travelled into this collection of towers.

While it's not the tallest building in this complex, the bigger footprint of the second tower makes it a significant focal point in the office complex. 220 metres to its tip, this office tower is again influenced by the 'shard of glass' aesthetic I was going for here, as well as paying fairly obvious homage to I.M. Pei's Bank of China building in Hong Kong.

Another interesting feature of this complex can be seen at its foundations. The plaza that our 2 tallest towers stand on is raised 6 metres off the ground, with a concourse underneath clad in transparent glsss providing a spectacular view into the structure of the 2 skyscrapers.

Just as the view from the Moynihan stairs is spectacular, it's quite a sight to look back towards the station from the plaza. The 2 minor towers frame the view, with the Farley building being reflected in the pool on the lower plaza.

Here's a nice shot. From the plaza between the 2 skyscrapers, their proximity is such that they stretch far into the distance.

Here's some detail of the top of our tallest tower. Topping out at 332 metres, its glassy shards provide impressive (albeit somewhat sinister looking) peaks. Note also the tranparent glass over the top of shafts which funnel light down the height of the building to the lobby at the bottom.

Alright, a couple of overview shots to finish off.

The whole complex from the east, again illustrating how it rises up towards the West.

Finally, a quick and dirty photoshop I made to try and give the project a bit of context. Here you can get an idea of how the new towers will interface with 1 Penn and the Empire State.

Well, that's about it, hope y'all like my proposal, I'd love to hear any comments about it.

EDIT: fixed up some images.

Last edited by cur_sed; Dec 14, 2006 at 11:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 5:16 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Here's the deal:I'm up to my neck in exams right now (an inconvenience I hadn't calculated when I made a final date) so I'm extending this just one week from today to Sunday, December 24, Christmas eve, and the poll will be open longer due to people on holiday. Sorry.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art