HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:40 AM
BANNED

WATERWORLD | Lilypad City | VISION

Quote:
There are very few urban design solutions that address housing the inevitable tide of displaced people that could arise as oceans swell under global warming. Certainly none are as spectacular as this one. The Lilypad, by Vincent Callebaut, is a concept for a completely self-sufficient floating city intended to provide shelter for future climate change refugees. The intent of the concept itself is laudable, but it is Callebaut’s phenomenal design that has captured our imagination.

Biomimicry was clearly the inspiration behind the design. The Lilypad, which was designed to look like a waterlily, is intended to be a zero emission city afloat in the ocean. Through a number of technologies (solar, wind, tidal, biomass), it is envisioned that the project would be able to not only produce it’s own energy, but be able to process CO2 in the atmosphere and absorb it into its titanium dioxide skin.

Each of these floating cities are designed to hold approximately around 50,000 people. A mixed terrain man-made landscape, provided by an artificial lagoon and three ridges, create a diverse environment for the inhabitants. Each Lilypad is intended to be either near a coast, or floating around in the ocean, traveling from the equator to the northern seas, according to where the gulf stream takes it.

Source: http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/06/16/...lobal-warming/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:03 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

hmmm.. Interesting. It's a nice concept but far in the future. I don't think I like the idea of them moving about wherever the currents take them. Obviously there would be some kind of control over where the structure travels to. I'd like to see these in Rio, the UAE, the Great Lakes, and some here and there but not over 20 worldwide.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 4:28 AM

Assume this cost $50 billion to build (sounds reasonable to me), that would be $1,000,000 per person, or for a large family, over $10,000,000. No idea how much it would cost to operate, but it would be a lot.

Don't think the numbers make sense for anything but a hi-end resort of similar.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:29 PM

They could then make an amusement park out of one and charge admission.

Maybe instead of floating it could be supported by poles attached to the bottom of the sea.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:34 PM

Is it sponsored by Mercedes?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:01 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

If it was a serious question then no. Those are wind turbines.

If it was a joking around question then

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 2:05 AM

, wind turbines made by Mercedes! I agree the cost to operate and maintain would huge. Too much so to be a refugee camp. Building on top of supports would kinda go against the whole rising sea thing, wouldn't it? I would much rather see this built on land, or maybe as stated earlier as a resort. Something like in a man made lake in the middle of the desert with this huge thing floating in the middle of it. That'd be wild.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBlake View Post
Something like in a man made lake in the middle of the desert with this huge thing floating in the middle of it. That'd be wild.
How many SSP members do we have in Dubai, 'cause one or more of 'em might take you seriously.

But I don't think the idea was building these for "refugees" but as permanent habitations for people in a time when sea levels are rising rapidly enough to make fixed coastal cities futile.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 8:00 AM

What would happen if there were hurricanes or tsunamis??

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBlake View Post
, wind turbines made by Mercedes! I agree the cost to operate and maintain would huge. Too much so to be a refugee camp. Building on top of supports would kinda go against the whole rising sea thing, wouldn't it? I would much rather see this built on land, or maybe as stated earlier as a resort. Something like in a man made lake in the middle of the desert with this huge thing floating in the middle of it. That'd be wild.
I'll laugh when the unsustainable man-made desert lake will eventually dry up, leaving the lilypad city stranded in the middle of the desert.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:31 AM
Registirred User

They look like a bunch of taco salads floating on water

-

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 3:14 PM

^^^ lol

Now that's funny.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 6:35 PM
Lowe's

On equator hurricanes/typhoons would be no issue. Anything up in the mid-Lats though.. not so happy. Tsunamis would have no effect on them. I would live in the taco salad bowl.. if it was fresh salsa and not the from the can crap....

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 10:13 PM

As if our seas and oceans weren't already polluted and disturbed enough. I personally file this one under the "gorgeous and cool in that sci-fi sort of way, but I hope for the environments sake it never happens" bin.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 9:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

It could have a couple of advantages. Like less people on land meaning more parks and whatnot. They would also move around so permanent damage to an area can be prevented. Unlike skyscrapers which have deep bases, can only hold a certain amount of people unless expanding over more land. It could work.

If people are willing to spend money.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 8:19 PM

Well I hope that for the enviornment's sake things like these will happen. What could be better for the earth than this? The cleanliness and sustainability of these for the amount of people living there compared to on land would be incredible. Yeah the ocean is polluted... but no anywhere close to how the land is polluted. The impact of these om the ocean would be negligible compared to what is done on land.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 7:00 PM

if this got built i could just see on the news "island city capsises. thousands dead.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 7:33 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

WOW this is an incredibly beautiful design. I would love to see it built!

I think it's too big to capsize, NDPhilly.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:54 AM

I can't put my finger on it....but somehow it seems like it could belong near Shanghai.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects