HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 3:48 AM
Karma Police

Hmm, Sienna/Gary Reddick? Not gonna happen. Not till the market turns around anyway, and by that time it'll be a completely different proposal, different architecture firm.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:04 AM

^ The proposal calls for a 5-star hotel & the development will be the crown jewel of Clackamas County......

Also, Neil Nedelisky (the developer) "Since 1994, has successfully worked his way through zoning and master plan changes to launch the Eagle Landing lifestyle center—a true live/work/play community built in the spirit of northwest style and environmental stewardship."

Where in the world did all this come from?

Last edited by Okstate; Mar 30, 2009 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:40 AM
A before E

hmmmm....maybe this is why Reddick worked Sienna into a hole and had to close their doors....it is not good business to take on fake ideas like this one.

Oh and a thought that really ring. "Clackmas Town Center would have the regions first subway system"....um, what part of that sounds even close to being realistic.

This sounds more like the New Hope Church is trying to dream big to get more supporters at the church. There seems to be very little reference to this outside of the development company and a small mention of it as the civic center on Happy Valley's government site.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 7:46 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
EDIT: wtf?? It looks like these guys want to build their own streetcar (see powerpoint presentation here: http://www.eaglelanding.us/Connector...m_11-07-07.ppt) with (see second-to-last page) *underground* stations! This all sounds totally unrealistic.
It sounds like a poorly thought out college thesis project. The author of this powerpoint (setting aside the many spelling and grammatical errors) obviously has no idea wtf he's talking about. A 2+ mile long subway with 9 underground stations for 65 million?!?!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 7:51 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
It sounds like a poorly thought out college thesis project. The author of this powerpoint (setting aside the many spelling and grammatical errors) obviously has no idea wtf he's talking about. A 2+ mile long subway with 9 underground stations for 65 million?!?!
No offense, but thats a major insult to college students. Have you ever even been to an architecture review crit?

We'd be burned alive if we tried to show anything that resembled those renderings.

I think I just puked on my keyboard.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 8:18 AM
Karma Police

Yes Z, I am an architect, and yes, I've sat through probably a hundred crits, even guest-jurored a couple. Many of them really were THAT BAD. Notice I said "poorly thought out". I'm sure nobody here on this forum would dare present garbage like this in front of a jury.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 7:48 AM

Joint workforce housing project by Works and Randy Rapaport. A few blocks south of Broadway and west of MLK, it looks like.

This might warrant its own thread at some point. It was mentioned tonight on PDXarchitecture as having received an AIA Design Award.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 2:26 PM

Wow that Rapaport building is different. I love it so far.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 4:23 PM

That building looks like it will be situated in the parking lot at Legacy Holladay Park. (or maybe 1 block North on the SW corner of that lot)

Last edited by CouvScott; Oct 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Joint workforce housing project by Works and Randy Rapaport. A few blocks south of Broadway and west of MLK, it looks like.

This might warrant its own thread at some point. It was mentioned tonight on PDXarchitecture as having received an AIA Design Award.

Do the crooked vertical lines represent the Portland skyline after a major earthquake? Architects crack me up..

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 10:24 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Do the crooked vertical lines represent the Portland skyline after a major earthquake? Architects crack me up..
no, it was probably meant to be seen as tree limbs growing up from the ground to create the facade of the building...I am curious what this looks like beyond the splash rendering of it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 4:42 PM

The "hole" in the building reminds me of this building in Vancouver, BC called the Pomaria. Except, the hole in the Pomaria is a private terrace connected to one of the condos. Looks like the one above might be some kind of common area.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
no, it was probably meant to be seen as tree limbs growing up from the ground to create the facade of the building...I am curious what this looks like beyond the splash rendering of it.
not so much.

"It pulls inspiration from the modern iconic high-rises and allows the rigidness to deform with the will of its inhabitants."

http://www.worksarchitecture.net/html/project7_2.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
not so much.

"It pulls inspiration from the modern iconic high-rises and allows the rigidness to deform with the will of its inhabitants."

http://www.worksarchitecture.net/html/project7_2.html
What does that mean? "...deform with the will of its inhabitants."

Is that gobbly gook?

Or do the people in the building have some control over the crooked lines on the exterior?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Architects crack me up
Me too, but in this case what in the hell is wrong with adding visual interest to the exterior of a building?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Me too, but in this case what in the hell is wrong with adding visual interest to the exterior of a building?
Nothing wrong with it, just funny how serious architects take themselves and their work, when in reality, it's just a bunch of crooked lines in order to stand out and stroke some architect's ego.. I could care less if the lines are crooked or straight... it's not my home.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
What does that mean? "...deform with the will of its inhabitants."

Is that gobbly gook?

Or do the people in the building have some control over the crooked lines on the exterior?
That would be cool if the inhabitants could actually control the crooked lines..

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 6:47 AM

Quote:
and allows the rigidness to deform with the will of its inhabitants."
I don't necessarily see the connection between the "crooked lines" and "stroking some architect's ego", in this case. I appreciate it, from the perspective of an inhabitant of the cityscape, when architects actually attempt to add some compelling attributes to their buildings. To put it another way: if some architect's ego is being stroked by designing a building with an eye-catching exterior, I could care less -- better that than have to look at more inspiration-less garbage of the sort that the majority of incompetent, dull-minded architects and their firms seem capable of designing.

The quote above, however, makes me want to puke, and seems more damnable as being mere ego-stroking -- Michael Graves might like it though .

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:21 AM
A before E

The building is interesting and is definitely a move in the right direction for moving Portland away from mundane and conservative buildings. But the quote on their website is mostly garbage, that is something I would have to hear some serious explaining on how that came about before I would buy into that line....now if that was a comment about their Morrison St Building they wanted to do, then that would make sense. That building is meant to have operable exterior walls for allowing in more or less light to the units, which would give the facade a constant changing look depending on the inhabitants' needs.

But with that said, I do hope this project happens, and I am also curious about this idea of housing for the "workforce." I am wondering if that means affordable housing and I wonder what workforce housing is meant to be like.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:21 PM

No outside area's for the units for the PDX building. Notice the BC one does. We better be careful, many of the new buildings are not providing balconies, this is a must in an urban environment. You can't expect people to live in cubby holes with no connection to the outdoors. This also puts pressure on the public spaces. Is this a design choice or economic? How come every building in Vancouver BC provides most units with nice size balconies why we play with wavy lines and punctured windows?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland