HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:10 AM

London Videography

This is a thread to embed urban related videos of London from Youtube, Google, and Myspace, and for other sites only the link can be provided. The videos don't have to be yours as they link up to the site they came from.

But if the video is yours then feel free to mention it of course. I'll start.

PHP Code:
[googlevid]-5980990221766439646[/googlevid]

[
myspace]34566661[/myspace]

[
youtube]2bqhzBRsxJU[/youtube

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 2:43 PM

Here's a short London-related video I shot last summer. It's not very good, but I was just learning how to use the camcorder I bought and how to edit video.

http://www.vimeo.com/1278044

Old Posted Apr 27, 2009, 10:15 PM

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:33 AM
Londoner

Update!!!

Dundas Street East closed between Lyle and English streets

Following the $300,000 fire at the closed Embassy Hotel at 732 Dundas Street East on Tuesday evening, the closure of Dundas Street between Lyle and English streets will remain in place until at least the morning of Thursday, May 14, as the fire and the safety of the building are investigated.

Watch the video from YouTude!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRKBDB_INlg

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 10:14 PM
London/Cambridge

hey i'm new to posting on the forum (been a lurker for awhile!)

here are a few projects i've completed for my program at fanshawe:

Downtown London Small Businesses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6nviDKHVYo

VIA Train Station - Nighttime Time Lapse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbNaxm6cgF4

EDIT: seems like it doesn't want to embed my videos
----------------
Now playing: Cobra Verde - Play With Fire
via FoxyTunes

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:16 AM
Londoner

Welcome to the London Forum thread ilp hope to hear from you soon keep posting !!!!Thanks Ldoto

Btw I like your Downtown London Small Businesses video

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

welcome to the forum.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 4:48 AM
Londoner

London is calling

Watch this video at was on global last week it is very interesting
How the city of London, Ontario is trying to lure business and jobs away from Toronto

Sales Pitch

http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/i...gEW06HJvyr4sA2

Last edited by ldoto; Oct 17, 2010 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoto View Post
Watch this video at was on global last week it is very interesting
How the city of London, Ontario is trying to lure business and jobs away from Toronto

Sales Pitch

http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/i...gEW06HJvyr4sA2
I didn't really like that reporter... he wasn't very professional. However, they make some good points.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 2:26 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

That one mayoral candidate in Toronto was an idiot. Admitting that he almost called us a town!
We've got a metro pop. of almost 500 000! I sure hope that's not how most people in Toronto view London.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
That one mayoral candidate in Toronto was an idiot. Admitting that he almost called us a town!
We've got a metro pop. of almost 500 000! I sure hope that's not how most people in Toronto view London.
Consider that 45% of Toronto's population is composed of immigrants (statscan 2001), many of whom generally are not likely to be too familiar with Ontario outside of the GTA. Consider the other half that simply believe that little of importance exists outside of the centre of the Universe. Toronto media focuses exclusively on itself, and national media identify Toronto AS Ontario (check out the CBC news web site sometime for example). Any reference in the national or Toronto media to London or any other Ontario city other than Ottawa is as "a town XXX kilometres from Toronto".

Taken in total, unless a Torontonian has actually been to London for whatever reason, the image for those who are even aware of London imagine a small Ontario town amongst farm land and forest (more like Woodstock or Goderich). Aware of the city or not, it not on their consciousness regardless.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 4:08 AM
User Registered

Anyone that drives on the 401 and 402 barely notices London. Those corridors should be built up within the city limits, as they would not only provide jobs but let the passer-by know that London has more than a McDonald's and a Pepsi plant.

Also, as was stated above, many people in Toronto consider it to be the centre of the universe. They (well, a lot of them) very rarely look outward; not to mention consider how goods are brought to them. A good example is the Gardiner. If that expressway was demolished, it would create a huge supply and demand problem for the downtown as goods can't be trucked into the core as easily.

The only reason this makes news is because of the civic elections taking place in Toronto (and elsewhere lol). You wouldn't see a broadcast like this at any other time.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Those are all really good points. I can't believe I forgot that Toronto IS the Centre of the Universe!!

At least the clip was a good promo to make Torontonian's more aware of our little "town".

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Anyone that drives on the 401 and 402 barely notices London. Those corridors should be built up within the city limits, as they would not only provide jobs but let the passer-by know that London has more than a McDonald's and a Pepsi plant.
Quite right. Sadly, the impression of our "town" derived from the 401/402 is really quite underwhelming. McD's, Pepsi plant, some U-store locations, a Costco (!), a Holiday Inn Express, Penitentiary...nothing of note, and really, not a lot at all. Even KW-C has much more along the corridor. In fact, London does look a lot like Woodstock, from the 401 that is.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:39 PM

If only you could see dowtown London from the 401, other than by the weigh scales by Putnam and just before Westchester Bourne Road.

I think One London Place is JUST beneath the tree line if you are on the Pond Mills overpass on the 401. I think I have caught a glimpse of it before hand.

It also has been said that London is somewhat like a bowl, with downtown in the centre. You definitely drive higher in elevation to the west (Byron/Snake Hill/Oakridge), higher to the south (gradual climb along Wellington by Commissioners) and higher to the north (the climb up Richmond just north of Masonville).

Only to the east do I believe it stays relatively flat, which co-incidentally is where you can best see downtown London from a distance greater than 10-15 km.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 1:36 PM

I wish there were some better vantage points for London's skyline. Downtown is definitely in a small valley, being at the forks of the river and all. There are probably some suburban highrises with a good view, but I haven't seen this for myself.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 3:19 PM
User Registered

London's a toilet bowl. The forks of the Thames is pretty much the low-point and that's where downtown is.

If the 401 ran just a bit to the north, you might be able to see downtown from it on a clear day. But alas they put the 401 (and 402) way out there because they expected London to grow to the south. It grew to the north. Nice job planners!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
London's a toilet bowl. The forks of the Thames is pretty much the low-point and that's where downtown is.

If the 401 ran just a bit to the north, you might be able to see downtown from it on a clear day. But alas they put the 401 (and 402) way out there because they expected London to grow to the south. It grew to the north. Nice job planners!
Falso. They put the 401 down there to merely access the city, but not to go in it. The same can be said how the 401 just skirts the edge of Kitchener, and when it was built in Toronto, it went through farm fields. It was simply a bypass to Highway 2. It was actually originally called Highway 2A, as an alternative to get around downtown Toronto.

It only took 15 years for the highway to be developed around, and to go from 4 lanes total to over 16.

The 402 potentially could have went around to the north, but I'm not sure exactly why.

Either way this discussion is now going WAY off-topic.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 5:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

402 was supposed to go north of the city, but officials bickered for too long about costs/placement.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 2:00 PM

London film footage, 1969

Found these last night. Shell Canada produced several films in London.

First off, some UWO footage. The newly-completed Alumni Hall can be seen...with cars parked in front of it. If you look closely you can see an LTC bus go by the entrance to University College, which you'll never see today.

Video Link

Then there's this...the construction of London Mall is shown. It's the fullest I've ever seen their parking lot!

Video Link

Last edited by manny_santos; Apr 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos