HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 View Post
To address the original title of the thread, I think Vancouver very much still has a car first mentality mainly because of the relatively late arrival of rapid transit and high-density city planning. Montreal, where I live for instance, has had a metro system since 1967; Vancouver's has only been around since 1986. With many long-existing dense neighbourhoods well served by transit, you get a sense most Montrealers know what it's like to live without a car and that is reflected in the attitude especially when it comes to making improvements that take space away from cars. I think that with time, more dense neighbourhoods and more mass-transit, a car-less mentality will mature in Vancouver.
Well, yes and no. Vancouver had a very extensive streetcar and interurban system, but the populace dumped it for cars.
http://www.tundria.com/trams/CAN/Vancouver-1940.shtml

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Could I ask you to elaborate on this? It's interesting. Thanks
I just meant that in some cases, like the North Shore, you have no choice but one of two bridges, there's no way around that. So when there's an accident, or in the case of last Friday, two stalls and an accident all at the same time in different spots (ok, it was the tunnel leading up to the bridge, but close enough), you're pretty much hooped! Or if there's a problem on one bridge, the other one suffers too. And then when there's a 'jumper', it's best just abandon your car and walk!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:51 PM

Anyone else seen this 7 minute video on Copenhagen's car free streets? This, to me, seems like a good example to follow and their climate isn't even as good as Vancouvers.

http://www.streetfilms.org/copenhage...w-speed-zones/

I've also changed my opinion of busses on Granville Mall. Looking at the place with buses now on it, it does seem to add more energy to the street.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
I just meant that in some cases, like the North Shore, you have no choice but one of two bridges, there's no way around that. So when there's an accident, or in the case of last Friday, two stalls and an accident all at the same time in different spots (ok, it was the tunnel leading up to the bridge, but close enough), you're pretty much hooped! Or if there's a problem on one bridge, the other one suffers too. And then when there's a 'jumper', it's best just abandon your car and walk!

I'd say that is a problem that any who has to cross a bridge will have had to deal with in the past.

It isn't only the people in the North Shore that have this problem. Anytime there is an accident or whatever on a water crossing it has a ripple effect across all the other water crossing going towards the same general area.

It just is one of the downsides for the type of geographical area that we live in.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 1:55 AM

yup! I was just using that as an example

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 3:00 AM

By North American standards, Vancouver isn't very car-dependent at all. And that really should be the standard that it is judged by.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion