HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 3:47 AM
Vancouverite

Proposed Vancouver school closures draw protest

Quote:
About 100 parents and students rallied in East Vancouver Monday in a bid to save three schools facing possible closure.

Collingwood Neighbourhood School, Graham Bruce Elementary and Sir Guy Carleton Elementary are on a list of 12 schools that could close in 2011 because of budget shortfalls.

"This school is not just a school," said one parent at the gathering outside Sir Guy Carleton. "It's a landmark. It's the heart of this community, and we need to keep it."
Schools facing closure:

* Bruce Elementary.
* Carleton Elementary.
* Champlain Heights Annex.
* Collingwood Annex.
* Dickens Annex.
* Hudson Elementary.
* Kerrisdale Annex.
* Macdonald Elementary.
* McBride Annex.
* Queen Alexandra Elementary.
* Seymour Elementary.

The Vancouver School Board is facing an $18-million deficit and said in June that school closures could be one way to help balance the books.

School board staff will present new information within the next several weeks about the proposed closures, said board chair Patti Bacchus, who attended Monday's rally.

"We're waiting for a staff report we're expecting at the end of September [or] early October that will have much greater detail than was available in June," said Bacchus.

"I'm expecting there'll be a recommendation, as well, to maybe take some of the schools off the list."

The province is not doing enough to keep schools open, said rally participant Adrian Dix, B.C. NDP MLA for the local riding.

"There are real challenges and demands facing our public schools today," Dix said. "And clearly, with all the cuts to services, it can't be said the province is funding education adequately."

Last spring, the school board and B.C.'s education minister engaged in highly publicized dispute over the Vancouver board's spending priorities after the board demanded more funding.

The province then appointed a special advisor to review the board's budget. The advisor concluded that the board could find more than $5 million in savings by closing and consolidating some schools.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...#ixzz0yoPUIVRj

what do you guys think? I'm just curious wether the VSB will try to sell some of the lands. I know the province doesnt like that and can block it, but I think the VSB will try to sell an annex land or two.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 3:50 AM

if there aren't enough students which is also being reported something has to close and adjustments have to be made - keeping a school open for a less than full school is a big waste of money that could be better used

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 4:26 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Some schools will need to close as the student population has been declining in Vancouver for years, I don't think the VSB should sell of their properties quite yet though as our actual population is at an all-time high and it's feasible we could encounter another baby boom in absolute numbers some day soon. Although demographics have changed a lot and it's not very likely. The VSB definitely could make better use of their existing properties though and perhaps they could offload some sections of existing properties. They should also be working hand in hand with the city and parks board to better utilize the properties. Have community centres/libraries civic parks share the space. Brittania is a great example of multiple facilities sharing the same space, Killarney is another one, what about all the rest though?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 4:38 AM
Vancouverite

Also it amazes me the low enrollment some of the elementary schools have, I mean most of them are in the 100-500 range. IMO its too spread out, im probably saying that since i went to an elementary with 1000+

Also doenst the downtown area need a new elementary school, and when will the one at the OV will start construction?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 4:51 AM

yah they have to line up to get their kids into a coveted spot at the school in yaletown - they really need more down that way according to residents

i guess the ones that can't get in have to go to the schools in the west end or strathcona?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 5:08 AM

Yes, I think that's the situation right now.

I wonder if there's a better way to fix this solution... maybe more low-cost family-oriented apartments around schools? That'll probably remain a fantasy for awhile though...

I'm actually surprised that they'll want to close Collingwood, Bruce, and Carleton all in one sweep. That leaves barely any other school in the area close enough to service all students!

Last edited by Millennium2002; Sep 7, 2010 at 5:20 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion