HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:14 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Based on Joey Coleman's tweet we have a new tallest proposed building.

https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...18093051981825

We now have a height on the proposed Television City 131.5m - taller than Landmark Place (Century 21), tallest in #HamOnt
look at our tiny little city.. where 6 blocks is considered the core lol..

I still think we need some sorta central spire to allow us to build higher in comparison to it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:57 PM

Hamilton....you kill me sometimes. Lol
Ambitious??

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:08 AM

Project info including studies, plans and reports available here: http://televisioncity.ca/project-information/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 2:15 PM

Wow....this project just gets better and better with the more details that come out.
Truly a big-city, big-league project. If the city was going to choose any project to start acting like NIMBYs over I'd have preferred it to be the Vrancor 28 and 33 storey buildings just north of here. Granted, the new Vranich is looking like it will be way better than the 28 storey build on the old Fed Building site. That beige slab needed more scrutinizing.

TV City is phenomenal for Hamilton. Great amenities, narrow design, great architecture, public space etc......

The public plaza design looks wicked, as does the architectural treatment on the towers....like a modern take on the former World Trade Centre NYC design.
The street level retail and podium looks fantastic on these plans. I used to live in one of those Hunter St towers...would have killed for this across the street. The only retail options were a variety store on the corner.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 2:27 PM

for anyone here not wanting to go through all of this, just check out the submission to the Design Review Panel.
Amazing renderings near the end.
They did a great job showing the height in context of the skyline and other buildings currently approved or under construction.
And those HQ renderings.....wow

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:34 PM

The TV City team has produced this image which has been going around and while it's mostly helpful, I'm thinking that the TV City team is intentionally stretching the truth to minimize height fears. I'm all for this project but but I have an issue with stretching the truth even if its just a small stretch. The problem with this image is that it displays all the buildings as being from the same base elevation which is inaccurate- downtown Hamilton is not flat and the TV City team knows that their building is at the highest of elevations. The image makes it out to appear that TV City and Landmark Place share an elevation above the escarpment (4m/13ft difference in height/ elevation). In reality, Landmark place rises from a site thats 91m above sea level while the TV City site is 110m above sea level. For whatever its worth (I know there are those reading this for whom its worth nothing and others for whom it's a lot...), TV City's building will rise 23m/75ft higher than Landmark place. TV City may be the equivalent of one story taller from their respective bases but its the equivalent of 7 stories taller relative to any fixed point like the escarpment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Based on Joey Coleman's tweet we have a new tallest proposed building.

https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...18093051981825

We now have a height on the proposed Television City 131.5m - taller than Landmark Place (Century 21), tallest in #HamOnt

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 5:36 PM

Sure.. and this has been noted earlier here. But, I'm 99% sure this isn't escaping anyone's attention in Durand or at City Hall, the 'ethics' of trying to pull a fast one on NIMBYs aside. This is the precedent-setting challenge to an arbitrary convention that's come due and everyone knows it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 3:22 PM

The above image is showing how tall the building is in relation to our existing skyline.
A small hill here or there is irrelevant to how building height is calculated.
Ground floor to rooftop is where we've gotten all our heights throughout history.

That same logic could be applied to the Olympia Tower vs. Century 21 tower.

It's really just a straw-grasping attempt by Durand to oppose this project. This isn't some San Francisco mega-hill...it's a small hump through certain areas of the core.

Would be great to finally get a new tallest, even if it is only by 4 metres.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
The above image is showing how tall the building is in relation to our existing skyline.
A small hill here or there is irrelevant to how building height is calculated.
Ground floor to rooftop is where we've gotten all our heights throughout history.

That same logic could be applied to the Olympia Tower vs. Century 21 tower.

It's really just a straw-grasping attempt by Durand to oppose this project. This isn't some San Francisco mega-hill...it's a small hump through certain areas of the core.

Would be great to finally get a new tallest, even if it is only by 4 metres.
It's not Durand that expressed this concern. It was the Design Review Panel.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:23 PM

Looks good to me, especially the ground level retail. If the design review panel rejects this, it will be pretty sad.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 11:59 PM

The ground floor has a pretty staggering 7 meter ceiling height which includes the retail component. Makes me wonder why people felt that this retail was "tucked away" at the bottom. With that kind of ceiling height the retail possibilities are pretty great. I don't see any of these units ending up as a dry cleaner/variety store/dentist/other bland condo retail offerings based on the layouts.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
The ground floor has a pretty staggering 7 meter ceiling height which includes the retail component. Makes me wonder why people felt that this retail was "tucked away" at the bottom. With that kind of ceiling height the retail possibilities are pretty great. I don't see any of these units ending up as a dry cleaner/variety store/dentist/other bland condo retail offerings based on the layouts.

Nothing has been built like this in Hamilton. Ever.
Where was the outcry over the Vranich beige slab Commie-blocks? Lol
Hamilton has no prob with ugly slabs being built...it's what we know.
But big-league, amenity rich, professional urban housing?? Let's fight that crap all day long!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:21 AM
Forever forward.

Following the very unfortunate rejection from the DRP, I encourage everyone in support of this project to speak at the eventual planning meeting for this project. I'm a ten year resident of Durand and wholeheartedly support this project and will try my best to delegate at the meeting, whenever it may be. If we get enough delegates we can drown out the height and heritage NIMBYs at the DNA.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:35 AM
It's Hammer Time

This will likely go to the OMB. Brad is no stranger to the OMB.

We'll see how council will vote on this.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootaround View Post
Following the very unfortunate rejection from the DRP, I encourage everyone in support of this project to speak at the eventual planning meeting for this project. I'm a ten year resident of Durand and wholeheartedly support this project and will try my best to delegate at the meeting, whenever it may be. If we get enough delegates we can drown out the height and heritage NIMBYs at the DNA.

Agreed....I have a current view from our bedroom windows of the new Vranich tower being built, and will def have a view of TV City when it's built.
We need to be vocal in our support. This is exactly the type of great urban living we've wanted for decades in our downtown. Those who want to only allow residents who can afford ground level Victorian housing, or over-priced condos due to buildings being mandated to be short, and thus spreading the construction cost over far less units, must be opposed. Our city isn't their own little playground. We should be open for business and welcome thousands of new residents, even those who can't afford $700,000 townhomes.

As for the DRP, this was built on their watch. Nuff said....

https://scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram...MTgxOA%3D%3D.2

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Agreed....I have a current view from our bedroom windows of the new Vranich tower being built, and will def have a view of TV City when it's built.
We need to be vocal in our support. This is exactly the type of great urban living we've wanted for decades in our downtown. Those who want to only allow residents who can afford ground level Victorian housing, or over-priced condos due to buildings being mandated to be short, and thus spreading the construction cost over far less units, must be opposed. Our city isn't their own little playground. We should be open for business and welcome thousands of new residents, even those who can't afford $700,000 townhomes.

As for the DRP, this was built on their watch. Nuff said....

https://scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram...MTgxOA%3D%3D.2
Those buildings were approved and started construction before the Design Review Panel existed.

DRP formed in 2014, and here's the SSP post from Nov 2012 with the design of the 150 Main West site: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...07&postcount=1

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyColeman View Post
Those buildings were approved and started construction before the Design Review Panel existed.

DRP formed in 2014, and here's the SSP post from Nov 2012 with the design of the 150 Main West site: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...07&postcount=1

good catch...looks like the tower was officially approved and permits obtained late 2013. Still, prior to DRP.

For those on the board unaware of this, DRP is a completely non-binding volunteer board.
Meant to help with design details of developments. Council is under no obligation to agree with their opinions.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:35 PM
Forever forward.

Does anyone happen to know if OMB takes into account the delegations/letters of support/against given at the city's planning meeting for projects that get taken to it? If so, the importance of giving a delegation/sending support is heightened.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 8:09 PM

It's important to note the DRP is an advisory board and can't order a redesign of a building.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:17 PM

There's a new story on The Public Record about this project and it's DRP hearing.
One of the reviewers does an absolutely perfect job of summarizing the NIMBY mindset in Durand.
He complains that these buildings don't fit the neighbourhood due to 3 storey homes across the street.

So let's get this straight.... in a SEA of high-rise buildings, this guy defines 'the neighbourhood' according to the ONE block of single homes.
And for those watching at home, yes those single family homes were built by DEMOLISHING a huge heritage mansion.
Here is the crux of the Durand gated-community NIMBY mindset. They frame their disdain for highrises under the guise of being upset about the huge mansions that were lost in order to build said highrises.
Yet, suddenly when a huge mansion is demolished to build homes, those homes are absolutely fine and in fact, representative of the built-form in the neighbourhood.

Absolute baloney. They are elitists who only want residents moving to Durand if they can afford a ground level detached or semi-detached homes. The few people running the DNA can't imagine living in a high-rise apartment or condo, and thus try to impose their own narrow views on an entire neighbourhood.
The hypocrisy is astounding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton