HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
yea, I'm impressed with that transit terminal. Only thing I would have done differently is to extend the covered walkway right to the mall doors and use some longer shelter/terminal structure like the ones on McNab downtown instead of a whole pile of those individual bus stops that only hold 5 people.
Other than that, it's great. And I'm sure they'll evaluate, get some feedback and improve on that design for future terminals at Limeridge, McMaster, Centre Mall and elsewhere.
I actually prefer that they have several stand-alone shelters rather than one long roof over my head. ESPECIALLY during the winter months when it's FREEZING!

I use this new terminal every day and it's fantastic. The buses run in-and-out smoothly, cars are prohibited from entering unlike the last one Eastgate had, and there is ALWAYS either a King or B-Line waiting. Sometimes there are even 3 King's lined up.

I also like how the (West-Bound) B-Line's stop is on Queenston so it can get people off, on, and leave without having to wait for a signal (buses now have merging right-of-way by law although there are still some people who wont let them in). It works great.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:28 PM
Closed account

sounds good. Yea, I guess there's some truth to having smaller shelters instead of huge ones.
the new one at King and Dundurn is a complete joke. The other night during that blizzard the whole inside of the shelter was being filled with snow. There are openings on all 4 corners of the shelter!! what's the use in that?
It's a shame that McMaster is screwing over the B-Line just as it was starting to be looked at as a true rapid transit option in the city with more enhancements coming. Maybe they are worried about losing some of their hig-priced parking business. idiots.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
I actually prefer that they have several stand-alone shelters rather than one long roof over my head. ESPECIALLY during the winter months when it's FREEZING!

I use this new terminal every day and it's fantastic. The buses run in-and-out smoothly, cars are prohibited from entering unlike the last one Eastgate had, and there is ALWAYS either a King or B-Line waiting. Sometimes there are even 3 King's lined up.

I also like how the (West-Bound) B-Line's stop is on Queenston so it can get people off, on, and leave without having to wait for a signal (buses now have merging right-of-way by law although there are still some people who wont let them in). It works great.
The Eastgate covered walkway doesn't actually seem to offer any protection from the elements. It seems to be little more than decoration.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:04 AM

Quote:
It's a shame that McMaster is screwing over the B-Line just as it was starting to be looked at as a true rapid transit option in the city with more enhancements coming. Maybe they are worried about losing some of their hig-priced parking business. idiots.
Many people on here refer to the service as the B-Line, but as far as I know, it is the Beeline Express. I tend to think of the B-Line being a Vancouver thing!

McMaster has very reasonable parking rates in comparison to other area universities, especially given that its lots are pretty well full up. York University, for example, has many, many more free parking spaces at any given time than does McMaster, but its parking rates are several multiples of the Mac rate.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:08 AM
Closed account

It used to be the Beeline. Now it's the B-Line. Take a look at any of the signs at all the B-Line stops.
I think the full name is B-Line Express.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:17 AM

Quote:
It used to be the Beeline. Now it's the B-Line. Take a look at any of the signs at all the B-Line stops.
I think the full name is B-Line Express.
Ah. Well, now it is in line with Van City.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:39 AM
Hammer'd

The naming convention was switched over earlier this fall when service hours were extended. The full name is indeed B-Line Express. I suppose they changed it in anticipation of future LRT/BRT lines that will adopt a similar naming convention (A-Line, C-Line, etc.).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:01 PM
Closed account

yea, as far as I know it has/had nothing to do with Vancouver. The name change was done in order to more easily allow us to develop new lines like matt mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
The Eastgate covered walkway doesn't actually seem to offer any protection from the elements. It seems to be little more than decoration.
I have yet to stand under it during a rain storm, but would personally prefer to be in a shelter if it happens to be pouring! But as far as I can tell, the area under the tarp is generally dry when the surrounding area is wet.

And ya, as for the name, I don't like it. B-Line ughghhh. I'm so old school and miss my Beeline Express I remember the old "label" on bus stops had buzzing bees on them! But now I have to suck it up and refer to it as the B-Line.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 2:39 PM
Closed account

I'll be happy once there's an A-Line, C-Line, X-Line and whatever else can be developed. AND when the B-Line actually runs full hours, 7 days a week.

Man, I've been noodling around downtown checking out various retail spaces, and I gotta tell you. We have a TON of potential downtown for a great retail vibe. We all know about the streetfront potential. 3 new spaces are opening up soon - Foster Building, new City Building and Terraces on King.
But I've started to realize the great opportunities that exist in our little arcades - Lister, Connaught Corporate Centre, Terminal Towers, Right House. Man, these buildings are so cool and unique. No reason why we can't attract some great anchors in Jackson Sq and on King Street and have these arcades filled up again with great shopping/dining.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:45 PM
On Guard For Thee

RTH--when I was a lad I can remember Terminal Towers being chock-a-block with stores--there were several little back passageways that have since been closed off--but at one time they were full, as was the basement level, which once housed a Loblaws.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:47 PM
On Guard For Thee

I too preferred the old Beeline signs that dated back to the 80s--with the "beelining" bee on the signs and ad literature.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 5:40 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
RTH--when I was a lad I can remember Terminal Towers being chock-a-block with stores--there were several little back passageways that have since been closed off--but at one time they were full, as was the basement level, which once housed a Loblaws.

yup, I remember. it would be great to see that happen again there and at Right House, Lister and Connaught. Not to mention filling up the street retail spaces downtown and Jackson Square.
I believe it CAN happen. Sadly, the wonks at city hall don't. They always talk about how we'll never see the retail downtown like it once was.
Hogwash. Portland's downtown has gone from looking like ours to becoming the centre of their city's retail. Same in Boston, Montreal, TO etc.... small vision at city hall leads to even smaller realities. We need to start electing people who actually give a rat's backside.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 9:36 PM
Hammer'd

My apologies for the crappy picture but I noticed RTH brought up the Connaught Corporate Center. Here's a pic of it that I took last spring. It's a beautiful hallway on the main floor of the 1930's Annex that allowed access to the storefronts facing King. As you can see it is/was lit by beautiful light fixtures and features some nice detail on the walls. There's about 5 or 6 stores that branch off from here, including a set of washrooms to the immediate right hand of the picture.

The scene is quite different today, somebody went and smashed all the glass and the lights are usually turned off or burned out. We cleaned up the glass and found the panel for the lights though, so I'll try to get a better shot of it in the future. It's really nice. The doors at the end of the picture exit out onto John St, across from the courthouse.

"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 12:53 AM
On Guard For Thee

matt602--i completely remember walking through that "arcade" area about 10 years ago when the businesses were all open. The "arcade" concept in hotels was very common in the era of the Connaught's construction.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 6:00 PM
Closed account

^^ I remember walking thru that hall and actually using that washroom just a couple months b4 it's closure. I don't believe there were any accessible stores at that time tho (as far as I can remember). I'm sure they had all closed down already.

I believe the Royal York also has an arcade level to it... but I think it was added afterwards. But regardless, another one opening up into cafes or something similar could definately work again in a new Connaught. Hopefully this gets taken into consideration when it's finally redone.

Awesome pic, Matt.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 6:35 PM
Closed account

I'm worried about the fate of this beautiful arcade and the Lister arcade as long as LIUNA owns them. They seem to have no creativity other than slapping up office cubicles everywhere. Man, I wish someone would buy them out and just get them off the scene. Such thugs.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 7:40 PM
On Guard For Thee

Been to LIUNA Station RTH? It's a masterpiece.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 8:00 PM
Closed account

1 out of 3 isn't very good.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 8:11 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Been to LIUNA Station RTH? It's a masterpiece.
ya right, but it's a disaster that's not a train station anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion