HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 2:40 AM
Site 8 Lives

New North Shore Seabus Terminal + Whistler-Squamish Train Station?

According to an article in a North Shore lifestyles magazine called Theblock, the North Vancouver architect Michael Green of MG+B Architecture has designed a master plan for a new North Shore Seabus Terminal.

Green -- whose firm takes credit for Ottawa International Airport, Chicago's Abraham Lincoln National Airport, and Canadian Rockies International Airport -- said the following to the magazine.

"We... proposed moving it (the terminal) to the bottom of Lonsdale. We determined where a commuter train would go to connect to Squamish and Whistler. Corridors for Vancouver are changing, and Squamish is becoming much more important. This is the last site that could accomodate it."

The article goes on to describe some of the design and amenities associated with this project plan -- including a green roof and indoor garden playground -- and describes it as "stunning".

I wonder if a) this was commissioned by the City of North Vancouver or TransLink, and b) if this is connected at all to the recent proposal at Site 8/Foot of Lonsdale?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 12:22 PM

That would be an awesome idea. Hopefully it was a request by some form of authority and not just an architects pipe dream.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 7:32 PM

Would the train run to North Vancouver in the morning and back to Squamish/Whistler in the evening for the convenience of Vancouver area commuters, or vice versa for the convenience of skiers?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 8:09 PM

perhaps both

Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
perhaps both
Unlikely, with their stinginess with commuter rail systems.

Do they even have track that can handle two way traffic?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 2:55 AM

Why does "green roof" mean "underground bunker" to me for the useful spaces below? Scratch a cathedral train shed ceiling.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 7:34 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

i wouldn't suppose this would serve the interests of MG+B because their offices are located a stones throw from the current SeaBus Terminal?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 9:58 PM

can anyone find the station ion north vancouver?

its so out the way and barely noticeable

I remember we went on that tourist day trip to squamish in the 80's once and the station was hard to find

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
i wouldn't suppose this would serve the interests of MG+B because their offices are located a stones throw from the current SeaBus Terminal?
Well, I can't find fault them for trying to address it. Heck, given their work on the Prince George Airport (which is award-winning, by the way), I think they could do a world-class job on an integrated Seabus/train/streetcar station.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 11:01 PM

Did the Henriquez proposal for site 8 (the ship) include a provision for a future platform? This isn't the first time I've heard of this.

Here's at least a mention of it from 2001: http://www.cnv.org/c/DATA/1/156/2001%2012%2005.DOC i can't find much more info on the city's website though.

The existing train station is at the foot of Pemberton. It's in an industrial zone and not within walking distance of any bus route. The Whistler Mountaineer includes coach service from Downtown Vancouver to the North Vancouver station

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:09 AM

I think the Site 8 ship proposal did have provision for a rail station

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:32 AM
See ya down under, mates

What would they do with the giant space under ICBC then? That's a pretty inconvenient walk if the bus loop remains there. The south side is already bad enough in that way.

Can't wait for the new site 8 plan. I didn't like the old proposal much but would love to see some renewal there.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 1:35 AM

There is a proposal/plan to fix up the Toronto-esque Lonsdale Quay bus loop. I'll try to find the link when I get some time.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 8:14 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Well, I can't find fault them for trying to address it. Heck, given their work on the Prince George Airport (which is award-winning, by the way), I think they could do a world-class job on an integrated Seabus/train/streetcar station.
i don't disagree that they wouldn't do an amazing and world class job even updating the existing facilities for the SeaBus/Bus Loop area given the chance. the place is so unworthy of Vancouver, it make us look like..well..Calgary.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 8:01 PM
Site 8 Lives

There's a bit of an update here. It looks like the City or North Vancouver and TransLink are looking to refurbish what they call the "Seabus Gateway", which is going to be a $20 million project.

You can find out more by downloading the city's q4 waterfront update, published this December.

Nothing too exciting... mostly improvements to lighting, wayfinding, seating and appearance.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 1:27 AM
David

this is such a good idea, its basically a no brainer

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 2:02 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

No sure if it's been announced yet or not but VIA will be the firm doing the design on the new Seabus terminal, they've done a pretty good job on other stations. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
i don't disagree that they wouldn't do an amazing and world class job even updating the existing facilities for the SeaBus/Bus Loop area given the chance. the place is so unworthy of Vancouver, it make us look like..well..Calgary.
i just came back from calgary...

going out of vancouver showed me how vancouverites are highly arrogant sometimes,

this city needs to be more reserved.

Last edited by vansky; Dec 26, 2008 at 2:49 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 3:22 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
i just came back from calgary...

going out of vancouver showed me how vancouverites are highly arrogant sometimes,

this city needs to be more reserved.
LOL

i'm a Calgarian...i just live in Vancouver. i find most Vancouverites to be fairly laid back people. i mean, seriously, we could be voted best place to live for all time and i don't see anyone being cocky or arrogant about it. if Calgary was voted best place to live ever, then we would never hear the end of it.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 3:34 AM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
No sure if it's been announced yet or not but VIA will be the firm doing the design on the new Seabus terminal, they've done a pretty good job on other stations. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.
Thanks for that info, JLousa. Via's involvement is certainly great news for the Seabus terminal.

For those interested, you can check out Via's previous transit projects (including stations for the Canada and Millennium Lines) at their website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure