HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 6:18 PM

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...E/R140647_did/

This is the 23-story Hyatt that was planned prior to the pandemic and appealed by neighbors - who lost.

There seems to be a lot of permit activity going on for this lately. I'm not sure if this means possible construction or not

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:56 PM

Along the same lines, does anyone know if Pearl Building East (520 NW 13th) is alive? There was some permit activity back in July on that one. Hard to believe anyone would be building commercial space right now.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R140670

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Janken, a Japanese/Korean Fusion Restaurant, Will Open in the Pearl

The game of Janken, the namesake of the new restaurant.

A new self-identified “hot spot” will open in the old Bluehour space on NW 13th Avenue in the Pearl. Called, Janken, it is “a new Japanese/Korean fusion restaurant in Portland, OR. Janken is a 180+60 restaurant, with a strong cocktail program influenced by Korean & Japanese flavours.” Rodrigo Ochoa is the executive chef (formerly of Groot Hospitality in Miami).

The space’s predecessor, Bluehour, was ““Portland’s premier slice of the luxe life,” according to Restaurant critic Bob Hicks (quoted in an Oregonian article). It closed in 2020, a victim of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The word, “janken,” is explained here via the WikiJET (Japanese Exchange and Teaching Program) page:

“Janken (じゃん拳 janken?) is the Japanese equivalent of Rock Paper Scissors, but taken to a whole new level in terms of usage and importance in daily life. If there is ever a clash of opinions between two people in Japan, more often than not this potentially embarrassing situation will be decided with janken.”
...continues at Brigetown Bites.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 7:44 PM

... and just kitty corner to this, they are remodeling the space where Tilt used to be. They also had a liquor license application posted on the door. Not sure what's going in there but I'm thrilled to see the 13th Avenue energy extending further.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossalorder View Post
... and just kitty corner to this, they are remodeling the space where Tilt used to be. They also had a liquor license application posted on the door. Not sure what's going in there but I'm thrilled to see the 13th Avenue energy extending further.
I saw that too! I think it's more of a bar type place moving in...AquaBar or something like that.

I'd love to see more food establishments open during the lunch rush on 13th. There's always a ton of people walking up and down the street and the restaurants that are currently open receive a ton of business. In fact, I wonder if the businesses would be interested in forming a 13th Ave business alliance of some sort to complete a vision for the street and support the activation/marketing of the entire length? Seems like this could really become the "main street" in the Pearl.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:21 PM

On a related note, Jojo is now open where Daily Cafe used to be. News article is from last month:

Quote:
Inside Fried Chicken Cart Jojo’s New Restaurant, With Boozy Milkshakes and ’70s Lounge Vibes
Jojo’s Pearl District restaurant will start serving tricked-out sodas and vanilla bean pavlova September 15

year and a half ago, Justin Hintze announced that his Southeast Powell food cart, Jojo, would open as a restaurant. Since its opening in 2019, the fried chicken sandwich cart has developed significant buzz on the national level, with nods of approval from food writers like J. Kenji Lopez-Alt. Locals would line up for crunchy-crusted fried chicken topped with coleslaw or pepper relish, double-fried potato wedges with sides of Alabama white sauce, and satisfyingly messy burgers topped with caramelized onion and sambal mayo, all eaten at picnic tables within the John’s Marketplace pod.

Hintze’s new restaurant digs, set to open September 15, are in stark contrast with the bright blue carts. The dining room is lined with a dark-wood-and-burnt-orange banquette, straight out of a ‘70s lounge. Plants hang from a lattice structure over the tables, also draped over the bar where beverage director Ashelee Wells will shake cocktails and blend milkshakes. Disco balls and smoked glass pendant lights hang from the ceiling. “I wanted it to feel closer to an actual restaurant, in terms of the service we’ll be doing and the decor,” Hintze says. “It’s a much more luxurious vibe that people may expect.”

Jojo’s restaurant menu is less about changes and more about additions. The restaurant will have vegan versions of every sandwich on the menu, with dairy-free buns from An Xuyen Bakery. Pastry chef Christina Hoover will bake cheesecakes and cookies for the dessert menu, as well as two rotating plated desserts like vanilla bean pavlova with cola-macerated cherries and lime leaf powder.
...continues at Eater Portland.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 8:29 PM

^^Willamette Week was hyping it yesterday. With Kinnamon's redonkulous cinnamon rolls, Super Deluxe and Jojo now open within a block of each other, I'm just staying away from that part of 13th now.

https://www.wweek.com/restaurants/20...ieve-the-hype/

Quote:
Jojo’s Long-Anticipated Brick-and-Mortar Has Finally Opened in the Pearl District. Believe the Hype.
To avoid the crowds, try getting your chicken sandwich and potato wedges on a weekday afternoon.
By Michael C. Zusman
October 03, 2022 at 8:06 pm PDT

A stationary version of the much-loved Jojo food cart has arrived in Northwest Portland.

After a quick soft opening, the new Jojo storefront—a roomy corner space, long on natural light—at Northwest 13th Avenue and Kearney Street opened its doors on Thursday, Sept. 15, and was immediately overwhelmed with affection from fans of the currently closed cart and curious acolytes-in-waiting.

After three days of lines that translated into waits of up to an hour and a half, owner Justin Hintze shut it down the following Sunday and Monday to gather his wits, hire more staff, and start back up again Tuesday. His hope is to prevent excessive waits in the future and potential walkouts from frustrated would-be customers.
...(continues)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 6:04 PM

Apparel giant Fila renting space in NW Portland

Not sure if this is actually in the Pearl or on the west side of 405

Paywall here.
https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...and-lease.html

Quote:
Commercial Real Estate
Exclusive: Apparel giant Fila signs Northwest Portland office lease
By Jonathan Bach – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
Oct 5, 2022

The Fila lease marks the latest apparel heavyweight to wade into the Rose City.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Oct 6, 2022 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 6:32 PM

^Hard to say. As the Pearl fills up, I wonder if it will continue to push out towards the Guild Lake industrial sanctuary. I think the GLISP starts at NW Vaughn.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^Hard to say. As the Pearl fills up, I wonder if it will continue to push out towards the Guild Lake industrial sanctuary. I think the GLISP starts at NW Vaughn.
Indeed they are, Mark! The MP2H project is studying rezoning the area between Vaughn and Nicolai as well as extending the Streetcar to Montgomery Park in NW and Hollywood in NE.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 11:26 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Indeed they are, Mark! The MP2H project is studying rezoning the area between Vaughn and Nicolai as well as extending the Streetcar to Montgomery Park in NW and Hollywood in NE.
I'm all for the mixed use plan for Northwest and extending the streetcar to this area and up Sandy. Also, I am 100% in favor of calling that area in between Hwy 30 and the tracks "The Squish." I feel like that is the most important thing about this.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 8:27 PM

Update 10/10/22, cute infill!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Staff Report for the Choice Cambria, which recommends approval.
Choice Cambria has been approved: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/800631

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 1:55 AM

I just learned that Starbucks at NW 9th/Lovejoy closed a few weeks ago due to “safety concerns”. What a joke. I won’t mourn the loss of a Starbucks, and hopefully something better will take its place, but what “safety concerns” are present in that part of town?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I just learned that Starbucks at NW 9th/Lovejoy closed a few weeks ago due to “safety concerns”. What a joke. I won’t mourn the loss of a Starbucks, and hopefully something better will take its place, but what “safety concerns” are present in that part of town?
Don't know about that specific location but perhaps it involved the unsafe conditions typically caused by workers trying to organize. Can anyone name a company that has done a more effective job of making smug Liberals feel warm and fuzzy about suckling on the teet of corporate domination?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I use to go to that Starbucks pretty often but there was a lot of sketchy homeless folks that would go in and out and act “off”

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 1:04 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
I use to go to that Starbucks pretty often but there was a lot of sketchy homeless folks that would go in and out and act “off”
Was there / is there a Starbucks at NW 9th and Lovejoy? There is a Subway at that corner. Is there a mixup and Subway was meant?
There is a Starbucks inside Safeway at NW 13th & Lovejoy.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Was there / is there a Starbucks at NW 9th and Lovejoy? There is a Subway at that corner. Is there a mixup and Subway was meant?
There is a Starbucks inside Safeway at NW 13th & Lovejoy.
Whoops, I meant 11th/Lovejoy.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 8:52 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Whoops, I meant 11th/Lovejoy.
OK now....that is an active corner with foot traffic. Another tenant will fill that space before long.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland