HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 8:32 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The low-rise $32 million, 188,000-square-foot project will include 53 condos ranging in size from 700 square feet to 1,200 square feet. Each home will have a separate entrance off an enclosed courtyard on the fourth floor.
Oi!

average unit will be $600k+ then!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 3:01 AM

Quote:
average unit will be $600k+ then!
That would mean Washington Mutual, Whole Foods, and all their required parking would be into the deal for absolutely nothing... I'm not buying that. I bet the average sq ft price to buy is around $400. That would put that 700 sq ft unit at just under $300k. Might be a little more, but I'd bet my underpants that the average unit is no where around $600k. And my undershirt too.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 4:22 AM
Well designed mixed use

The total construction costs include the commercial component, which will take a big chunk of that 32 million.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 6:27 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

lol, I forgot it was a mixed use building. My bad... XP

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg View Post
whoops... I meant above ground parking; I don't think there is any underground parking.
That's the only thing I don't like about this project. I guess the land values in Portland aren't high enough yet to justify the added expense of underground parking.

Great project for Hollywood. The neighborhood has so much untapped potential. Outstanding location. I wonder if some day the Banfield may have a lid put over it. through the district.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:24 AM

Flames devour former Albina Fuel building during rush hour
06:48 PM PDT on Tuesday, May 6, 2008
By DAVID KROUGH kgw.com Staff

PORTLAND -- A fire erupted at the vacant Albina Fuel building on NE Broadway and NE 32nd Tuesday afternoon.

Plumes of gray and black smoke could be seen pouring from all sides. Bursts of flames shot through windows and the roof, which later collapsed as crews poured water on to the structure.

Crews called a second alarm around 4:30 p.m. and blocked traffic in the area of NE 33rd and I-84.

The business location has been closed for about three years.

Albina Fuel Owner Neal Arntson said police were quite familiar with the building since transients have set several fires there in the past. Police were called in to investigate.

Arntson said he no longer had anything to do with the property.

The 1925 building was chained and fenced. Developers planned a mixed-use project for the site and were in the process for permits to start next year.

No injuries were reported.
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...d5a5d216.html#

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:14 AM

One thing I'd like to see in conjunction with this project is a simple 2 lane tunnel for through traffic on Broadway under 33rd. The intersection is bursting at the seems and a through tunnel would allow for better walkability which would be vital if theres are MAX stop at 33rd.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
One thing I'd like to see in conjunction with this project is a simple 2 lane tunnel for through traffic on Broadway under 33rd. The intersection is bursting at the seems and a through tunnel would allow for better walkability which would be vital if theres are MAX stop at 33rd.
There's no MAX stop proposed for 33rd, is there? Why would we make the MAX even slower than it is now by stopping once more before crawling downtown. Talk about tragedy of the commons.. every neighborhood wants a MAX stop and then MAX is too slow to attract any ridership. We need to remove MAX stations, not add them.

Grade separating traffic never improves the pedestrian environment. Providing better alternatives to automobiles does help however. That intersection is in inner NE Portland where there are good bones for a non-auto centric environment. Spending millions on grade-separating that intersection could be better spent on less capital-intensive bike and ped facilities.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
We need to remove MAX stations, not add them.
100% agree. If only trimet thought the same way.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 6:37 AM

there are no concrete plans for a max stop at 33rd. one at 28th has been discussed in the past, but not very seriously. iirc (don't remember where i read this) trimet opposed another station on that line because it would add to travel times. so they actually are at least somewhat on board about not adding stations willy-nilly.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 7:08 PM

I think there really needs to be a station at 28th street to serve the inner east side and the growing business district in that area. Its kind of ridiculous that there is no MAX station between Holladay Park and Hollywood yet there are two stations to serve Civic Stadium. I definitely agree that they need to close some of the stations downtown but I think 28th or 33ed could use a station.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 2:32 PM

Quote:
There's no MAX stop proposed for 33rd, is there? Why would we make the MAX even slower than it is now by stopping once more before crawling downtown. Talk about tragedy of the commons.. every neighborhood wants a MAX stop and then MAX is too slow to attract any ridership. We need to remove MAX stations, not add them.
I'd like to see MAX express lines by-passing the stations between Gateway and the Lloyd Center. There could be a local service between Gateway and PSU that stops at those stations(and 33rd preferably) which leaves Gateway or Lloyd Center right after the expresses to provide easy connections. Cutting 3-4 minutes could attract a bit more ridership and adding another station in a neighborhood primed for transit-oriented infill could solve both problems.

Quote:
Grade separating traffic never improves the pedestrian environment. Providing better alternatives to automobiles does help however. That intersection is in inner NE Portland where there are good bones for a non-auto centric environment. Spending millions on grade-separating that intersection could be better spent on less capital-intensive bike and ped facilities.
I'll have to disagree with you there. I've seen numerous examples in Europe of grade-separating (often for long stretches in Paris and Madrid) allowing for removal of lanes of traffic and creating a better pedestrian environment. You also get less stressful street environment at the intersection allowing sidewalk cafes and other pedestrian oriented activities. The traffic at the intersection of Broadway and 33rd has gotten a lot worse the past 15 years. Taking through traffic out of the intersection would unjam a lot of things and even make a Broadway streetcar more feasible.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 6:35 PM
Bears of antiquity

I think Broadway should be made a full boulevard-- lower the speed limit, increase green light holding everywhere but at **MAJOR** intersections (emphasis necessary, transpo planners are teh dums sometimes), normalize the sidewalks even if width varies, add iconic concrete posts for ped protection, and enhance off-boulevard parking to prevent unneeded delays. Oh, and pull-ins in non-specific locations (i.e., no preferential treatment for certain businesses).

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 10:30 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle rock View Post
I think there really needs to be a station at 28th street to serve the inner east side and the growing business district in that area. Its kind of ridiculous that there is no MAX station between Holladay Park and Hollywood yet there are two stations to serve Civic Stadium. I definitely agree that they need to close some of the stations downtown but I think 28th or 33ed could use a station.
I completely agree. I live on 28th, and this is such a major street, particularly for pedestrians and bicyclists (due to the Freddie's on Broadway), as well as acting as a connection between NE/SE Portland, that it would be HUGE as far as offering mobility for close-in Portland.

The MAX system completely neglects the close-in existing neighborhoods to downtown. Interestingly, the MAX was modeled after the S-Bahns in Germany (suburban commuter railroads), but we're missing the U-Bahn (underground metro) that offers mobility within the central city. The streetcars could help to fill the gap, but at some point... 50 years from now? We're going to want to step it up a notch.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:35 AM

Put in a 28th Ave stop. Get rid of The 7th Ave Lloyd Center stop and move the OCC stop up one block to where the convention center hotel will be.

That would pretty much account for the time added for a new stop, and increase ridership.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
The MAX system completely neglects the close-in existing neighborhoods to downtown. Interestingly, the MAX was modeled after the S-Bahns in Germany (suburban commuter railroads), but we're missing the U-Bahn (underground metro) that offers mobility within the central city. The streetcars could help to fill the gap, but at some point... 50 years from now? We're going to want to step it up a notch.
i think you might be confusing S-Bahn with Strassenbahn (LRT). S-Bahn is very much heavy rail.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:47 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ Oh? I thought thats what I read before. I thought it was in relation to the type of service offered (suburb to core) instead of the equipment it was running. You're probably right tho.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 3:42 AM
Ville de Fleuve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle rock View Post
A-Bloody-MEN!!!

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Taking through traffic out of the intersection would unjam a lot of things and even make a Broadway streetcar more feasible.
First of all, this will never happen because the costs would far exceed the benefits. Secondly, the benefits are way overstated. Removing intersection controls here would result in much faster traffic flows as cars approach the intersection since there would be no expectation to stop. The faster vehicle speeds would result in more diversion of auto traffic to these streets than currently exists. How does faster traffic and more cars make for more pedestrian friendliness?

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Put in a 28th Ave stop. Get rid of The 7th Ave Lloyd Center stop and move the OCC stop up one block to where the convention center hotel will be.

That would pretty much account for the time added for a new stop, and increase ridership.
The Lloyd district can do with just two stops. NE 7th (which provides access to the main entrance to the Lloyd Center Mall and is in the center of the office area) and Rose Quarter (to provide transfers to other transit and provide access to the Rose Garden/Convention Center. Removing the Lloyd Center/NE 11th stop would alleviate the demand for street parking that currently exists in Sullivan's Gulch neighborhood as well reduce the loitering and illicit activity that occurs at the park there). The convention center stop is (and always has been) useless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland