HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
23rd largest? Detroit's population has really decreased. Nice to see that the city still has lots of buildings in good condition, and it's still a great city.

Yea its an eye popping number however it's not the full story as is usually the case Metro Detroit as a whole even when including the population loss from the city continued to grow during every decade except from 2000-2010. Being the Motor city the region that is in Detroit's orbit so to speak imo is more of a size similar to what you would see with a sunbelt city. As is the case about many things that have to deal with Detroit and or the metro area things are unnecessarily complicated. haha

The style of development here is the same found across the eastern great lakes region of course so the metaphor isn't completely apt and there is usually a lively debate when the numbers come out with areas designated, removed and then designated as part of the CSA again it seems like new every time the new MSA or CSA definition comes out.

There was an exercise that was done a while ago on some thread comparing overlays of urban areas i believe and the size of Atlanta's CSA was taken and played around with as it was placed over SE MI, NW OH and SW Ontario so the Detroit - Windsor - Flint - Ann Arbor metro area included Lansing and Toledo.

The end result seemed that because of the general denser nature of development resulted in a Metro Detroit having a population larger than Metro Atlanta roughly 7 million was the total.

Essentially if Metro Detroit is treated as a sunbelt city and all satellite cities within an hour drive are taken into account including in Canada you get a population of ~ 7.502 million. Toledo, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Flint, Port Huron - Sarnia, Chatham - Kent & London, ONT plus the Detroit - Windsor / Essex metropolitan areas are factored into my equation.

Detroit - Windsor CSA is about 5.7 million and with or without Windsor is the 12th largest in the US but if we want to play around with numbers which may actually have some merit because of the car's out-sized influence in the state and region. While some of the interactions I used are pushing it a bit perhaps especially London but also Lansing which has strong ties with the western burbs in Livingston County and Ann Arbor and vice versa but not so much with Wayne and Macomb Counties.

Toledo is separated from the main body of the metro area and can also be said to have a stronger connection with Ann Arbor along the US 23 corridor than with the downriver burbs. Though there is a nuclear power plant in between Monroe and South Rockwood on the coast of Lake Erie there was a partial meltdown in 1966 while the incident isn't wasn't dangerous to the public the area had not developed by '66 and despite an abundance of waterfront property the Lake Erie coast in Monroe Country especially the area going north along the shore from just outside of Monroe area pretty much to the Huron River is rural. Some beautiful wetlands state parks and wildlife preserves along the coast there up into the lower Detroit River but there doesn't seem like there is much of any desire for development in that part of the I-75 / Telegraph Rd corridor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_77hU4WhtM
We Almost Lost Detroit Gil - Scott Heron & Brian Jackson, about the near meltdown in 1966. Damn good song

Some may remember this map which shows which shows the are of "dominance" of metro areas based off commuting pattern. It was used on an old thread that stuck out in my mind as having some relevance so I figured I'd include it to help articulate my point.

http://geoawesomeness.com/awesome-ma...muter-flow-us/

If we want to use my stretched numbers for the Detroit regions population of ~ 7.502 million then Detroit is the 8th biggest CSA ahead of Philly and behind DFW. It shows a decline in the position from its peak of 4th largest but it also takes into account that the metro area partially at the expense of the inner city and partially through its own strengths has kept up with peer suburban regions. With the exception of the period leading up to and covering the great recession.

By design Metro Detroit is one of the most decentralized in the country but recently with the resurrection of the inner city as the engine of growth and innovation nationally the area with its defacto center of gravity in suburban Oakland County the region and state as a whole were left at a disadvantage.

Despite the decades of inner city decline and the negative national headline belie the fact that region is an economic powerhouse according to a relatively recent report on the regions tech industry released by the Detroit News

Quote:
“You have a technology industry in Metro Detroit that is the equal to all of Silicon Valley in terms of jobs, number of employers and the number of occupations identified,” said Patrick Anderson, principal at the research firm.

Metro Detroit had more than 171,000 technology occupation jobs in 2013, compared to San Jose’s almost 180,000 jobs, according to the report. This region was home to more than 224,000 employees working for businesses in the technology industry, compared to San Jose’s 300,000 in 2012. Metro Detroit had more technology industry establishments in 2012: 7,160 to San Jose’s 7,061. And this region produced 9,428 graduates with degrees in the STEM subjects in the 2012-13 school year, compared to San Jose’s 5,284.

“There should be the same sense of excitement here as in Silicon Valley,” said Anderson. “Clearly the numbers show in multiple sectors that the Metro Detroit area is one of the best areas in the United States.”
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...-hot/23304425/

I didn't wanna take the thread wayy off track at least right away while there was a good discussion going on but when talking about Detroit it's hard not to talk about the population which should hopefully have grown in 2017. But my last thought is I know how cliche it is for a Detroiter to say well look at the burbs when trying to quantify the areas "worth" despite what for decades was a apathetic acceptance of Detroit's decline because it didn't effect them until it did around the time the city was facing bankruptcy. This finally persuaded even the most reluctant of regional leaders (L. Brooks) that the region needed to step up and help support Detroit because no one in NY or LA thinks of Troy or West Bloomfield when they hear the word "Detroit" and think of the the region.

On a on topic note and what I really want to post are a few of my favorites from this set the Fisher Building is truly stunning I cant wait to see what it looks like when its done with its current renovation. It would be a crime to not have its public spaces utilized for any longer than they have been it's a successful building and New Center is really on a roll now that the Qline is operating and space downtown is becoming scarce.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post

If we want to use my stretched numbers for the Detroit regions population of ~ 7.502 million then Detroit is the 8th biggest CSA ahead of Philly and behind DFW. It shows a decline in the position from its peak of 4th largest but it also takes into account that the metro area partially at the expense of the inner city and partially through its own strengths has kept up with peer suburban regions. With the exception of the period leading up to and covering the great recession.
Thank you for this interesting exploration of the region's true size!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos