HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 11:34 PM
I am a typical

I went outside and didn't see my shadow.

I'm hairy enough to be a groundhog so I consider that a valid prediction. Vid the Groundhog predicts an early spring.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 1:29 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I went outside and didn't see my shadow.

I'm hairy enough to be a groundhog so I consider that a valid prediction. Vid the Groundhog predicts an early spring.
how does that work for someone like you to predict these future events, hair and all, did u see ur shadow? lol

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 2:34 AM
I am a typical

Hey, I bet I'm just as accurate as the Weather Network! If not moreso!

I predicted, by not seeing my shadow this morning (on the way to the library, as it was overcast) that we would get an early spring -- and BEHOLD!! If that doesn't say "An Early Spring", then I don't know what does!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Out of our league: Massive price tag biggest obstacle to Winnipeg's hopes of landing NHL team

By PAUL FRIESEN | Tue, February 5, 2008 | Winnipeg Sun

We thought the price tag for NHL teams would be coming down by now but Darryl Katz will reportedly dish out $200 million to buy the Edmonton Oilers, a team Forbes valued at only $157 million. (Matt Slocum, the Associated Press File)

Any talk of bringing the NHL back to Winnipeg invariably leads to the bottom line question: what would it cost?

I'm not just talking about ticket prices, either.

The one big unknown in this discussion has always been the value of buying a franchise. Let's face it, nobody's going to move one here for nothing.

A local ownership group is going to have to write a cheque, and it better have room for plenty of zeroes.

How many?

Seems now we've got an idea.

For the first time in the post-lockout era, a Canadian team in a market comparable to Winnipeg is about to change hands, as the Edmonton Oilers owners are in the process of selling to Edmonton billionaire Daryl Katz.

The reported price tag: $200 million.

Feel free to swallow now, Mark Chipman.

"I'm not surprised," Chipman, the boss of True North Sports and the Manitoba Moose, said yesterday. "If you look at the most recent transactions that are post-lockout deals, they seem to be in that same range."

Sure enough. American Craig Leipold, you may recall, recently sold the Predators to a local Nashville group for $193 million, then turned around and wrote a cheque for as much as $260 million for the Minnesota Wild.

And let's not forget Canadian Jim Balsillie, who proved he had more money than brains with his ill-fated attempts to buy, first, the Pittsburgh Penguins, then the Predators, and move them to Hamilton.

Balsillie, of the BlackBerry empire, offered a reported $240 million for the Preds, a team valued at no more than $143 million by Forbes Magazine.

And now we have Katz in Edmonton, willing to pay $43 million more than the estimated Forbes value for the Oilers.

"It tells us that's what one guy in Edmonton thinks it's worth to own a team in Edmonton," Chipman said. "I don't know that it tells us anything beyond that."

Sure it does.

It tells us that we're still waiting for this luxury vehicle to come down in price, one Winnipeggers can afford.

I, for one, expected franchise values to be dropping by now. I was expecting an owner in, say, Miami or Nashville or Carolina or Phoenix to throw up his hands and say enough is enough. Followed by another.

By the second or third collapse/relocation, values would be down and Winnipeg, a wholesale town if there ever was one, would be a serious player.

I'm still waiting.

And so is Chipman.

"There's still some settling out, in terms of exactly where this league is best suited (to be)," Chipman said. "I don't think that is completely resolved, and time will tell us that story."

Because of his ownership of the arena and connections in the NHL, Chipman is seen by most as the lead candidate to lead the acquisition of a team -- if it ever becomes feasible. He's been keeping an eye on the market conditions more closely than anyone.

While some factors have been in Winnipeg's favour -- a salary cap and revenue sharing program, the rising Canadian dollar -- one necessary trend hasn't developed: a drop in the value of teams.

"It's hard to say what it would take to acquire a team and actually move it here," Chipman said. "I don't have something to assess right now. There's nothing for sale. There's neither an expansion nor a relocation opportunity that I'm aware of."

So are the chances of getting the NHL back increasing, or decreasing?

Chipman would rather not speculate.

But it seems to me all that talk about the new NHL being more Winnipeg-friendly is still just that -- talk.

A week ago, the New York Times ran an article about the improved strength of the Canadian franchises, and raised the possibility that Winnipeg is now a viable option for any Sun Belt owner desperate to relocate.

I don't know about that.

As long as somebody's willing to write a cheque for $200 million, I think we'll have to pass.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 11:55 PM
Honored Member

Paul Friesen has no credibility when it comes to the Winnipeg/NHL issue. I wouldn't even bother reading anything he writes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 6:26 AM

I'm not sure if Darren Ford was referring to this article by Friesen but he did take some shots at some unnamed local sports writers in his entry on jetsowner.com...he doesn't sound too happy, it's not often that Ford posts anything remotely negative on his site.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:11 PM
Closed account

Pollock's may yet be saved.
From cbc.ca

Quote:
A group of Winnipeg residents appears to be on the verge of saving a retail landmark in the city's North End neighbourhood.
For weeks, the residents group has been working on a plan to take over Pollock Hardware on Main Street. The retailer closed at the end of 2007 when its latest owners retired after 15 years at the register.
John Loxley, who leads the group of more than 100 residents, says they have been doing their homework, drafting a financial plan and meeting with financial institutions.
"We've met with Co-op Development [Services] several times," he said. "We've had discussions with people in the province who handle the tax credit for [Community Economic Development]. We've had the building inspected. We've had it appraised, and we're about to put in an offer."
The property is for sale, listed at more than $260,000. It had been for sale for months before the owners closed its doors.
If the offer is accepted, Loxley hopes the store will reopen as a co-op by the spring.
Pollock Hardware has been a mainstay on Main Street since 1922.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 5:28 AM
visionary

Guys who would you rate as the top construction company to work for in this cityand why? (not sure if this threat belongs here)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 3:19 AM
visionary

Take a look fellas and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pORpOIcZys

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 3:55 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
Take a look fellas and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pORpOIcZys
That was a nice piece the National did on the Jets. It's so refreshing to see someplace other than Toronto being profiled on a Canada wide newscast.

Between that story, and the hockey event in Winkler the province has been getting a lot of coverage these last few days. You can tell Mansbridge really feels at home here.

After years of working in Manitoba and Saskatchewan you can tell that beneath that cold business-like Toronto exterior he really is one of us.

Or so that's how he appears to me.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 3:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

kool

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:10 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Bonus, the National is being done from Winkler tonight. Good stuff.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
Guys who would you rate as the top construction company to work for in this cityand why? (not sure if this threat belongs here)
Everyone i know who works at PCL (granted that's only 3 or 4) speaks very highly of the company.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:47 PM
Closed account

^^ Agreed. They are well respected across Canada and it seems quite interested in the welfare of their employees.

Engineering News Record (a major US trade publication) had a profile of PCL recently that was very favourable. They don't often focus on Canadian firms either, but PCL is doing very very well financially and growing rapidly. They compared them to Kiewit in the US, similar size and culture.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:50 PM

New funding expected for biomedical cluster
Updated at 7:30 AM

New funding is expected to be announced today for Winnipeg's biomedical technologies cluster.

Diane Ablonczy, Secretary of State for Small Business and Tourism, is expected to make the announcement at 3:30 at the NRC's Institute of Biodiagnostics on Ellice Avenue..

Last week in Ottawa Ablonczy announced a federal funding initiative totalling $118 million covering five technology areas associated with the National Research Council across the country.

In addition to the biomedical cluster in Winnipeg, they also include: hydrogen and fuel cell technologies in Vancouver; nanotechnology in Edmonton; plants for health and wellness in Saskatoon and aluminum transformation in the Saguenay-Lac Saint-Jean region.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:53 PM

Portage Avenue to get colourful banners

Work crews were to begin installing 55 new banners today on downtown Portage Avenue to add a little color and interest to one of the city’s premier streets.

The Downtown Winnipeg Business Improvement Zone is having the bright red, vinyl banners installed on every other light standard on both sides of the avenue between Main and Balmoral streets.
The banners, which were designed by Tetro Design, will highlight the many uses of Portage Avenue, including shopping, entertainment and dining, as well as its historical significance.

“Portage is our central corridor and these banners will build on all the great work happening here,” Stefano Grande, executive director of the Downtown BIZ, said in a statement.

They are the latest batch in a host of banners the Downtown BIZ is installing. Gateway banners leading into the downtown were installed in 2006 and Graham Avenue also will be getting banners to highlight its role as a transit mall.

“The banners aim to create a ‘wow’ factor downtown, add colour and interest, and designate signature streets and distinct districts,” the Downtown BIZ said.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Nuances suggest brighter NHL future
Chipman says it's only logical to put team in Winnipeg
Fri Feb 8 2008

MAYBE I could lose more hair, if that's possible. Perhaps I could lower my voice to the dulcet, earnest tone of Peter Mansbridge.

Maybe then Mark Chipman might be as positive about the NHL's return to Winnipeg as the Moose president was during a one-on-one interview with the CBC's The National anchor on Wednesday night.

Don't know about you, but that wasn't the Chipman who not so long ago would virtually go underground any time the topic of the NHL returning to the city surfaced?

Sure, Chipman would begrudgingly address the topic, but it was always like pulling impacted teeth. And if you ever broached the issue with a sliver of optimism, there would be Chipman to cautiously toss the cold water of reality on the subject.

So who was this guy talking to Mansbridge? An impostor? A Chipman look-alike who -- rather than tempering the positive -- said, "The game's growing in Canada. The revenues that are supporting that league -- or much of them since the lockout -- have come out of this country. So I think it's logical for them to look back to Canada, not just to this market but to one or two others."

Or how about when Chipman was asked if he had $200 million to buy a team, given the latest market value of the Edmonton Oilers, for example? "No, I don't have $200 million," said Chipman in his usual aw-shucks manner, "but we have a very solid ownership group. I'm not the only partner in our group and we've got a very well established group of owners in our mix."

Hmmm. Interesting. So why would Chipman insinuate that while he might not have the scratch, he'd remind the national viewing audience about the "very well established group of owners" of True North Sports and Entertainment -- which, for the record, has seen the arena develop into a cash cow in the last three years?

Remember, this is the same man who has painstakingly made clear to anyone who'd listen that the upfront cost to buy a team was for the longest time the greatest impediment to the NHL's possible return.

As for the possibility that an existing owner in one of the NHL's several struggling markets could consider Winnipeg, Chipman noted: "Perhaps there's one of those markets that's ultimately going to say we'd be better off in Winnipeg. And we would really welcome the opportunity to explore that with one of the owners."

There, an open invitation.

Some observers might conclude that nothing Chipman said was new. But that is to ignore the nuance and the simple fact that his reticence to engage in the discussion has taken a 180-degree turn in the last few months.

In fact, it's pretty much official now: every major player that would be critical to any possible resurrection of the Jets, or any facsimile, has now flipped.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman? He voluntarily drops this city's name each and every time he's asked about expansion or relocation.

The NHLPA? One of the first public pronouncements of new union boss Paul Kelly was the desire to see more franchises in Canada. This from an organization that a decade ago couldn't get out of Winnipeg fast enough to move on to potential gold mines in Phoenix and Nashville.

Indeed, if you had just been in a coma for the last three or so years and awakened to the current rhetoric concerning the NHL and this city, you'd almost certainly be dumbfounded.

Did Bettman really say Winnipeg?

Did Chipman actually hint that current franchise values weren't out of the question for his "very well established group of owners?"

Did Kelly really suggest that Halifax could be a potential NHL market?

Sure, this is admittedly reading tea leaves. But don't forget that whatever Chipman says publicly -- and rest assured he knows exactly what he's saying -- he's at least two or three steps ahead in the process, in terms of what he knows and we don't.

This is the same guy who, after all, made a pitch to the NHL's board of governors last January and didn't breathe a word about it until his involvement was made public in June.

Maybe we should get Peter Mansbridge out here more often.

randy.turner@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:26 PM

Banners are great. Hamilton does a similar thing - although, primarily centred around the Tiger-Cats, but it nonetheless is subtly captivating and adds some flavour to their downtown ...now if we could just get the "Light up Winnipeg" package to get the green light we'd be in wonderful aesthetic shape.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 9:35 PM
Closed account

385 River Ave. has been declared surplus by the City and is being put up for sale. It's the medical building across the corner from the new Pulse condo that WHRA was using. Good opportunity to infill with something interesting. Zoned RM4 with 100' frontage.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 9:52 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

A nice piece by Dan Lett.

Salesman Katz fails to deliver the goods
Where's the man who built city's 'field of dreams'?

Sat Feb 9 2008 | Winnipeg Free Press

IT is well known that Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz is a master salesman and Friday at his annual state of the city address, he was selling his accomplishments like a spokesman flogging laundry detergent.

According to the mayor, red tape at city hall has been treated and eliminated like a bad case of dandruff. Property taxes have been tamed like an antacid settles an upset tummy. Increased funding for the police service has produced "clear and deliverable results," not unlike what we would expect from a teeth-whitening solution.

In many ways, this is not unlike what Premier Gary Doer does at his annual state of the province address; these speeches are designed for politicians to deliver a "greatest hits" package, not major policy announcements. But where Doer is a man given to talking about big issues, Katz has a way of reducing a big problem to a small budgetary line item.

This is a particularly troubling tendency when it comes to the mayor's favorite subject -- fighting crime.

Well over half of the mayor's speech dealt with crime-fighting and prevention efforts. As he went over initiatives to track crimes of all kinds electronically and reclaim crime-ridden neighbourhoods, you could see Katz was clearly still trying to sell himself as the new sheriff who rode into town several years ago.

But given the lukewarm response at yesterday's speech, many of those in attendance were less than impressed, perhaps because they know these are not measures that fundamentally reduce crime. These are measures that move crime from neighbourhood to neighbourhood, or cover it up, or delay it until such time as the spotlight is shining on another area of the city.

Katz said a municipal-provincial program to eradicate crack addicts and pushers in Point Douglas had, in the opinion of residents, made the afflicted neighbourhood "crack free." It is unclear how a concerted neighbourhood effort to harass junkies and their suppliers has eliminated this scourge. More likely, a crack-free Point Douglas means a crack infestation in Daniel McIntyre.

Katz celebrated the fact the city had demolished more than 500 abandoned and derelict homes, but didn't once talk about what he was doing to fill in those empty lots. And he at one point talked about how new Winnipeg Police Chief Keith McCaskill had "the most important job in the city". Coming from the mayor, that was a disturbing admission.

As Katz himself acknowledged, this was his fourth state of the city address, an event organized and well-executed each year by the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce. And after yesterday's address, we can conclude with surety that we have seen just about everything Katz has to offer.

Reporters were promised significant environmental policy in this year's speech. Unfortunately, that turned out to be a pledge to unleash Coun. Jenny Gerbasi on the city to "consult" residents on ways to reduce greenhouse gases. Given that Katz disassembled the grand plans of his predecessor, Glen Murray, to invest heavily in public transit, Katz's promise to "consult" on ways to control greenhouse gases is a pretty cruel joke.

As he was when he took power four years ago, Katz remains primarily concerned about infrastructure and crime. Conspicuous by their absence in yesterday's speech were discussions about urban planning and sprawl, the financing of major public amenities (can anyone say football stadium?) and public transit.

Katz has addressed both infrastructure and crime, while cutting business taxes and continuing to freeze property taxes. These are not negligible accomplishments, but they do not on their own constitute a vision for the city.

Much has been made of the mayor's business successes, but it's hard to see how he could have had any success running his businesses the way he's running the city.

Katz is, after all, the man who won the hearts of municipal voters with his single-minded determination to build what we know now as Canwest Global Park, a "field of dreams" for his beloved Winnipeg Goldeyes.

What if Katz had approached that challenge the way he's approaching the city's work?

Instead of announcing plans for his dreamy downtown stadium, we would have been summoned to a "major announcement" by Katz revealing he had purchased a new second-base bag or procured a new supply of chalk to mark the foul lines.

The fact is, Katz showed this city he could think big when he took on naysaying politicians and skeptical bureaucrats and got the ballpark built.

We are all left to wonder now where that man has gone.

dan.lett@freepress.mb.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan