HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The strict single house zoning, the strict height limits, the endless red tape zoning processes (cough, Safeway sight at Commercial and Broadway) etc... are the primary causes
You've mentioned the Commercial /E Broadway Safeway site rezoning a couple of times. The developers have withdrawn the application at least twice, most recently after a Public Hearing had been booked.

It isn't City red tape that has stopped it going ahead - although given the local opposition to the project it would no doubt have been one of those long, multi day public hearings.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
How much would land values come down if developers knew building high end luxury condos wasn't an option?
No by much as we are in a housing scarcity cluster-blip-blop.

Curv is a great building. Great location. It will serve its audience / market well and give us a fat CAC. I thank the dreamers buying these condos.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They can ban mansions while they are at it or people who spend $300 on a single meal.
If I had a quarter for each time a table got a $300 bill at a restaurant I'd have $300 and then I'd ban myself from spending that much on luxury meals.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I think Washington Court is a Reliance rental makeover (with the appropriate new rents, no doubt). The CAC from Curv is the bottom 102 units (levels 2 - 15) which will be an air-right parcel social housing project handed to the City of Vancouver (like the podium on the lane at Landmark). 'The applicant also agreed to deliver a minimum of 50 rental units in the development, approximately 3,226 sq. m (34,724 sq. ft.) of rentable floor area as market rental housing'.
Son of a beeswax! I hate luxury condos!

Thank you for that info tho.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
You've mentioned the Commercial /E Broadway Safeway site rezoning a couple of times. The developers have withdrawn the application at least twice, most recently after a Public Hearing had been booked.

It isn't City red tape that has stopped it going ahead - although given the local opposition to the project it would no doubt have been one of those long, multi day public hearings.
I’m pretty sure it is!

If it wasn’t, construction would be well underway by now. Heck, maybe topped out.

The endless public / rezoning hearings are the very definition of civic red tape.

That ridiculously lengthy process is a major factor in why they have withdrawn / paused a couple times now.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
What a bizarre conversation.

The construction of a handful of luxury condos isn't the cause of the housing affordability crisis. At most it will be a fraction of a percent of the cause.

The strict single house zoning, the strict height limits, the endless red tape zoning processes (cough, Safeway sight at Commercial and Broadway) etc... are the primary causes

Some people here are ironically asking for some Soviet / Chinese level government control, which has arguably been the biggest problem (as listed above) in the first place!
But it’s not really a “handful”. Decent sized lots were taken out of available land on the downtown peninsula, where people could walk from to jobs. Do some of those luxury units belong to people who work downtown? Sure though likely not that many. And each luxury unit is bigger than corresponding affordable units.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
I’m pretty sure it is!

If it wasn’t, construction would be well underway by now. Heck, maybe topped out.

The endless public / rezoning hearings are the very definition of civic red tape.

That ridiculously lengthy process is a major factor in why they have withdrawn / paused a couple times now.
No, they withdrew the applications they submitted in 2019, then 2020, then 2021. If they hadn't there could have been a public hearing, and if Council had approved the rezoning, they could have got a DP and started construction. Initially they were going to build mostly condos, then they were going to build rentals, then they changed the design. Nobody required them to withdraw their project - they've changed their mind several times, and there's never been apublic hearing because of that.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post

Curv is a great building. Great location. It will serve its audience / market well and give us a fat CAC. I thank the dreamers buying these condos.
Apparently there aren’t enough dreamers, if they have to give away Porsches!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 5:44 AM

Anyone been to this site recently?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griswold View Post
Anyone been to this site recently?
There is absolutely no sign of anything happening at the site so far.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post

Even the rich folks are facing a housing crunch and not just the middle-class. What's more, they give CACs. Hence I'm with you here: no need to complain.

Just don't use the CACs to tear down perfectly good public infrastructure like the viaducts.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver