HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:27 PM

As a few people pointed out already it really doesn't make economic sense to build higher than 70-80 floors(one reason... elevator shafts use up too much space and you can't rent space in elevator shafts) just look at cities like NY and HK where the vast majority of skyscrapers (over 95%) are under 70 floors

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Becasue there was no point. Your comment was merely to state St John's low vacancy rate and unemployment for shameless boosterism. We all, including you, know there is no chance of St John's getting a supertall in anyone's lifetime, so what purpose did you have of bringing it up other than to brag?

I'm sure you've noticed in your short time on this board that people have no tolerance for such nonsense.
Fine lets just talk about Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal then like all the other threads.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Fine lets just talk about Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal then like all the other threads.
Then create a thread for St.John's instead of whining about it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Berry View Post
Then create a thread for St.John's instead of whining about it.
We have one unlike Toronto.

Sorry if I'd rather see a conversation outside of Canada's only important cities.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 3:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Give it up PoscStudent.........

I can feel your pain but these guys have a valid point. The only city in the country with any chance for a supertall is Toronto, period, end of sentence.

The closest we'll get to a supertall in Atlantic Canada for the next two centuries will be the Aliant communications tower in Moncton at 110 metres, and it's nothing more than a concrete phallus with a few microwave dishes, radio antennae and cellphone transmitters at the top.

The Aliant tower is the equivalent of a 35 storey building but it really destroys the Moncton skyline because it de-emphasizes anything else that is built in the city. A supertall in almost any Canadian city would have the same effect as the Aliant tower in Moncton.

Let Toronto have the supertalls. I'd rather have a denser downtown with more human scaled building anyway.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 4:00 PM
User Registered

Check this link out... Toronto's Cancelled supertalls, visions, and fantacy buildings.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=48836272

The Weston Skyscraper looks really cool. Too bad it was never built.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Hmm lets see..
Largest city in Canada, economic capital of Canada, center of business in Canada, already has buildings that are up there, is currently in a development boom..
Why wouldn't it be Toronto?
You forgot "largest Canadian city in the WHOLE WORLD!". (I am trying to think of some way to add "world class" to this, but nothing comes to mind).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 6:47 PM

I think a tall slender 300m tower in IOL's site in Calgary would be the perfect balance to the Fatness of the Bow. Whether it will happen or not remains to be seen.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Dude, the discussion is on when and where in Canada we will get a 300m tower. Mentioning St Johns is just asking for people to give you shit. While the city is growing and prospering right now, there is 0% chance that someone will build a tower that big, it doesn't make sense. I'm sure you will get a couple 100+m towers in the next decade, but that's about as big as you can expect.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Dude, the discussion is on when and where in Canada we will get a 300m tower. Mentioning St Johns is just asking for people to give you shit. While the city is growing and prospering right now, there is 0% chance that someone will build a tower that big, it doesn't make sense. I'm sure you will get a couple 100+m towers in the next decade, but that's about as big as you can expect.
All the question asked was when will Canada get a supertall??? I simply just asked when will St. John's get one, it will probably never happen. It may never happen in the next hundred years in any Canadian city. Anyway I'm finished with "trolling" on this thread so you can talk about another city.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 9:48 PM
Cambridgite

Meh, Kitchener-Waterloo has a low vacancy rate, and a huge absorption rate for its size, but I'd be ecstatic to even see a "tall" (100m+) built downtown or uptown anytime in the near future (next 5 years).

I think St. John's would do very well if it could accomodate a couple of semi-highrise (50-100m) office buildings downtown, and that would be a reasonable thing to hope for. Worse case scenario, a lot of that demand could end up being accomodated through lowrise suburban office parks.

My bets are on 1) Toronto and 2) Calgary, for reasons that have been stated over and over again in this thread. They are realistically the only contenders for a building of 300m +, and even Calgary is pushing it for the near future.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
As a few people pointed out already it really doesn't make economic sense to build higher than 70-80 floors(one reason... elevator shafts use up too much space and you can't rent space in elevator shafts) just look at cities like NY and HK where the vast majority of skyscrapers (over 95%) are under 70 floors
You can also look at the history of some of the bigger buildings like the Empire State or WTC in NYC. These were built to be impressive and remained partly vacant for a long time. This is even more obvious if you look at places like Dubai - the tallest building in the world is a half-hour drive from empty desert.

I hear stuff like "it's cheaper to build up than out" but this is an oversimplification. A more correct saying would be "optimal height in terms of price per square foot increases as land value increases". This is true but land costs even in downtown Toronto aren't high enough on their own to explain building a 300 m office tower.

The argument of companies wanting to be located in one building may or may not be true but doesn't explain 300 m office towers either. FCP is 2.7 million square feet - I wonder how many floors are taken up by the Bank of Montreal?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 12:18 AM
gettin' rich!

i doubt if they have even 30 floors, with the rest high priced lawyers accountants and asset managers.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 2:25 AM

It'll be in Mississauga, to outdo Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 2:35 AM

FCP is Canada's biggest and houses 2.7 million sq. ft. and 978 feet tall.

That's more than the Trump Tower in Chicago at 2.6 million sq. ft. and that has a roof height of 1171 feet and a peak height of 1389 feet.

The Empire State Building has 2.75 million sq. ft.

The question is not whether or not Canada can support a building of that size, but rather if we are willing to choose a design that emphasizes height instead of maximizing square footage, like FCP does.

If FCP had the same square footage, but was any shape besides a basic square it would be much higher than 1000 ft.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Check this link out... Toronto's Cancelled supertalls, visions, and fantacy buildings.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=48836272

The Weston Skyscraper looks really cool. Too bad it was never built.
For some reason, the 1971 Maryon Tower proposal, which used to be housed in the diagram section, was removed. Its roof height was 1600 ft with a revolving restaurant at the top, plus a spire that brought it to 2200 ft. It was cancelled because it was deemed impossible from an engineering standpoint at the time.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 7:36 AM

Also probably becasue it was hideous.

I did notice that was gone too, I wonder why?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 4:19 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The argument of companies wanting to be located in one building may or may not be true but doesn't explain 300 m office towers either. FCP is 2.7 million square feet - I wonder how many floors are taken up by the Bank of Montreal?
BMO/Nesbitt easily takes up half the tower. The podium and enormous basement levels are all theirs. They also lease/own space in a dozen other towers in Toronto. It wouldn't make any sense but, they could easily fill up a 100 storey tower with FCP floor plates by consolidating their Toronto space.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
It'll be in Mississauga, to outdo Toronto.
Nah, Niagara falls

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 6:13 AM
Back to Basics

I don't care which city gets the first Canadian Supertall, as long as it's really a Supertall without a cheater spire. I'll have none of that sh@!.

If Canada's first Supertall ends up being some 270 meter piece of crap with a tall spire, I will personally climb to the top and saw the spire off and sit and wait for a REAL Supertall.

It has to be something safely in the 350 meter range for the roof and then you can add whatever fancy spire to that and I won't care. As long as I can hold my head up and be proud of a Canadian building over a thousand feet where you can actually stand on a floor above that mark.

I am so glad the original Trump didn't end up being Canada's first... Stupid spire!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada