HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Heard from a reliable source that one of the test events next year will be the U of R Rams vs the U of S Huskies. Lower bowl would be open with about 15,000 seats available.
That would be great! I would go to that game for sure!

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Heard from a reliable source that one of the test events next year will be the U of R Rams vs the U of S Huskies. Lower bowl would be open with about 15,000 seats available.
That would be a great idea.

The only potential fly in the ointment is getting Canada West athletics to play ball. Generally, the football teams alternate between having only one game and two games between a set of 2 teams in consecutive seasons. Last year the Rams hosted the Huskies in their only meeting. This year, they each have a home game against the other. Next year, one would assume the Huskies would host the single meeting. Here's hoping that Canada West makes the right choice when developing their 2016 schedule.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
That would be a great idea.

The only potential fly in the ointment is getting Canada West athletics to play ball. Generally, the football teams alternate between having only one game and two games between a set of 2 teams in consecutive seasons. Last year the Rams hosted the Huskies in their only meeting. This year, they each have a home game against the other. Next year, one would assume the Huskies would host the single meeting. Here's hoping that Canada West makes the right choice when developing their 2016 schedule.
A cut of the gate from a game like that would probably put everyone's concerns to rest.

CWUAA would be crazy to quash an opportunity for one of its teams to get a gate for upwards of 10,000 fans.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A cut of the gate from a game like that would probably put everyone's concerns to rest.

CWUAA would be crazy to quash an opportunity for one of its teams to get a gate for upwards of 10,000 fans.
Well considering the lower bowl is expected to have I think it said on the stadium website around 55% of the total stadium seating would be in the lower bowl so that would be a little north of 18,000 seats open in the lower bowl. That would be an amazing Canadian College Game!

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 8:53 PM

We have discussed before the true total cost of the stadium. It seems to me that we have a base building of $283 million. There is another $40 million for the "Rider Space". Also the City has said they are spending another $4 million on concessions. The land was thrown in for free, so lets say another $10 million.

That totals $337 million. There may be more such as parking and landscaping, a plaza on Elphinstone, rehabbing the Confed Park.

Does this sound about right?

Last edited by Stormer; May 25, 2015 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 9:33 PM
arf

Quote:

There would be a lot of people interested in seeing the stadium that soon. I know I'd be in the curious gawker community.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 9:41 PM

Quote:
I agree completely, it's just that CWUAA have been known to do some very foolish things in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
There would be a lot of people interested in seeing the stadium that soon. I know I'd be in the curious gawker community.
Almost certain to get a big crowd of people who want to experience a football game in the new digs. Manitoba Bisons drew over 10,000 to their first home game in IGF in 2013. Unfortunately, crowds dwindled to 5,000 for their next 2 games and down to 2,000 at the end of the year. The novelty wore off fast - only one crowd over 2,000 fans last year. Hoping for better from the Rams fans, especially if the Rider games are sellouts and Rams games the only way to see a football game there.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 10:58 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
We have discussed before the true total cost of the stadium. It seems to me that we have a base building of $283 million. There is another $40 million for the "Rider Space". Also the City has said they are spending another $4 million on concessions. The land was thrown in for free, so lets say another $10 million.

That totals $337 million. There may be more such as parking and landscaping, a plaza on Elphinstone, rehabbing the Confed Park.

I hadn't heard anything that took it from 278 to 283... What's the extra 5 mill in there?

I believe the Riders' space is $15 mill in the original + $25 in leaseholder improvements, so that's only $25 mill additional, not the full $40.

The rest seems about right/decent for a guess.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post

I believe the Rider portion of $40 million is included in the original $273 number.

PCL has the project budget tagged @ $230 (with the Rider's $40 million portion) being a tenant improvement.

Quote:
- Last week's tour of New Mosaic Stadium was jaw-dropping. The sheer size of the facility is jaw-dropping and it's exciting to know they're 41% complete with construction. The PCL construction crew is unfazed by the enormity of the project given its $230-million budget (their figure). They don't go by the SIZE of the project but rather the budget and one official told me they've erected structures with a cost twice this amount. Still, they're very proud of what they're building here. And when another PCL official pointed out the exact spot where the Roughriders will run out onto the field, I got chills.
Edit, sounds like $40 million total (but I still believe this is included in the $270 budget?

Quote:
Under the terms of the agreement with the City of Regina and the Province of Saskatchewan, the Club’s contribution will be a total of $40 million dollars. This includes $25 million towards the overall stadium construction plus an estimated $15 million towards the design, construction and furnishing of areas specific to the Riders such as locker rooms, team training and health facilities, meeting and equipment rooms, as well as football and business offices.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 3:01 PM

According to this page, the $25 million the Roughriders are contributing to the project is included in the original $278 million, but not the additional $15 million worth of leasehold improvements. So it looks like the total cost would be closer to $312 million, going by Stormer's numbers.

If PCL does have a lower figure budgeted, then I assume a margin has been built in to cover possible cost overruns, as could happen with any large project?

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
According to this page, the $25 million the Roughriders are contributing to the project is included in the original $278 million, but not the additional $15 million worth of leasehold improvements. So it looks like the total cost would be closer to $312 million, going by Stormer's numbers.

If PCL does have a lower figure budgeted, then I assume a margin has been built in to cover possible cost overruns, as could happen with any large project?
Right, I remember that now. I also believe that the Riders get all of the Mosaic naming rights money to apply against that. I believe that is about half the $40 million.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 10:32 PM

Does anyone know if there is a baseball configuration for this? I'm thinking something like the Vikings new stadium. Would be nice for the American Association.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/stadiumBaseball2.jpg

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4fb4...web%20size.jpg

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
Does anyone know if there is a baseball configuration for this? I'm thinking something like the Vikings new stadium. Would be nice for the American Association.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/stadiumBaseball2.jpg

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/4fb4...web%20size.jpg
Nope. This isn't a multi-purpose stadium.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:41 AM
BANNED

Glass windows already going in on the east end of new Mosaic Stadium.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Glass windows already going in on the east end of new Mosaic Stadium.
Wow they are moving along quick! The east side will be closed in, in no time flat!

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 9:41 PM

They should take the green endzone seats they added in a few years back and make a decent baseball stadium with them

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmobile View Post
They should take the green endzone seats they added in a few years back and make a decent baseball stadium with them
I'm pretty sure I saw a report saying that the expansions stands at Mosaic were being donated before the stadium demolition. The U of R maybe for the new playing field they have? Or maybe Leibel field? I can't remember the details of it, but I know they're not destroying them. They will be going to good use.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 10:01 PM
Hmm....

There are 14 sections. It is called the "Grey Cup Legacy Project". Communities from around Saskatchewan can apply to receive a section. They will have to cover the cost of transport and reassembly, but the stands themselves will be given free and clear.

Im thinking it'll be highly unlikely any will remain in Regina (or go to Saskatoon); I'd guess small centres where it'd really make a difference will be the prime beneficiaries.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 1:14 PM

I thought I heard some parts of the old stadium are coming to Saskatoon for SMF Field (Gordie Howe Bowl)

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
There are 14 sections. It is called the "Grey Cup Legacy Project". Communities from around Saskatchewan can apply to receive a section. They will have to cover the cost of transport and reassembly, but the stands themselves will be given free and clear.

Im thinking it'll be highly unlikely any will remain in Regina (or go to Saskatoon); I'd guess small centres where it'd really make a difference will be the prime beneficiaries.
Despite the fact that Regina is the only municipality paying for any part of the new stadium. I think it would be appropriate for some of those seats to remain in Regina. The city of Regina has taken on $180 million in new debt for this stadium but will have no additional sports facilities to show for it. Currie Field or the U of R could both use some good seats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan